[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Figured I'd ask here because I have no idea where else to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Anime-Chibi-Cat-4.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Anime-Chibi-Cat-4.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
Figured I'd ask here because I have no idea where else to ask. A simple (and maybe dumb?) question, it's my first time trying out cooking and so far the last few days have gone great but I'd like to try a crock pot stew, just some beef and a bunch of vegetables. I'd like to add some beef broth but I'm so against how much sodium it has in it, I won't touch it. What are some tasty alternatives to beef broth? I tried to google but I got a lot of "just use chicken broth" instead kind of answers.
>>
>>8830859
You could always try using pork.
>>
>>8830859
>What are some tasty alternatives to beef broth?
Just make your own stock. It's super easy, and you can even use your crock pot to do it.

You could also buy low-sodium broth from the supermarket but homemade is going to be much much better.
>>
>>8830866

this

you can also use wine or dark beer for beef stew.
>>
make your own stock, or use less instant. Just don't put extra salt your "extra low sodium dish" afterwards because it tastes bland.
>>
>>8830866
I'll give it a try, I wish I could just buy no sodium beef broth from the supermarket as a beginner making my own broth seems kinda scary, but, we all gotta step outta our comfort zone.
>>
>>8830875
I understand it won't taste as good as a dish with sodium in it, but I'm trying to watch what I eat and maintain my weight, while making my own healthy meals. So I'd like to start by taking out all the bad stuff, like sodium until I feel comfortable adding it back in. But thanks! I will try making my own.
>>
>>8830879
you throw some meat and veggie stuff in water and simmer it for four hours, nothing can possibly be easier. And it's stock, not broth. Broth is seasoned stock, maybe with noodles, meat, veggies and other stuff in it that is a dish in its own right.
>>
>>8830879
>making my own broth seems kinda scary

Don't worry about it, it's super fucking easy.
>>
>>8830885
Okay thanks! I'm going to ask another question (hope that's okay) I was looking at different beef stews and some suggested I add flour to the end of the process, what does the flour do? Does it matter if I skip the flour and just eat the veggies and beef after it's been in only water for a couple of hours?
>>
>>8830899
>what does the flour do?
It thickens the stew. You might or might not care about that.

It's irrelevant if you used good homemade stock because the gelatin in the stock will do the same job.
>>
File: giphy.gif (523KB, 480x334px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
523KB, 480x334px
>>8830903
Thanks so much for answering my questions I super appreciate it!! It's been super helpful, I will definitely try making my own tomorrow.
>>
>>8830899
>after it's been in only water
Your "stew" is going to taste like garbage if you're cooking it only water. Get stock, broth, or wine.

>>for a couple of hours?
It can take 2.3 to 3 hours (or even longer) to cook beef stew in a normal pot on a low simmer. It will take much longer in a "crock pot".
>>
>>8830883
You could eat a pound of table salt and it wouldn't make you fatter you nonce
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.