[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is food so expensive yet agriculture and food services workers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1461223651696.jpg (253KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1461223651696.jpg
253KB, 768x1024px
Why is food so expensive yet agriculture and food services workers are paid like shit?

Yet, grocery chains don't make much profit either.

Is it all being swallowed up by landlords charging rent on grocery stores?
>>
>why is food so expensive
It isn't. Look at the price of food and then look at the price of, say, getting a massage.

There are a lot of steps in the chain and they only make money on volume, the exceptions being niche specialty foods.
>>
>>8817097
Anything that bears the certified organic mark has to pay several grand a year per sku. Wonder where all that money goes to?
>>
>>8817097
Most food (especially grocery store food) has extremely small profit margins actually.
>>
>>8817097

My understanding is that transport and storage of perishables are a large part of the cost. The concept of making a fresh variety available is exceeding competitive. Its not easy or cheap (or terribly profitable) to keep all that fresh selection out for finicky fickle consumers.

Produce may be a 'loss leader' for all I know. In other words, there may be things the store knows it will lose money on but has to have to keep you coming back for other stuff.

Energy taxes hit that sector really hard. I am living in a surreal world where you need geologists, surveyors, engineers, millions in rigging and construction, an extraction crew, and then shipping to and from a refinery to process petroleum, and its $2.50 a gallon. I squeeze a cows tit and that goes for $4 around here, and this is dairy country.

Our food distribution networks are insane. God help us if there is ever a global or national catastrophe. Those highways get cratered or gasoline stops, then so do those freight trucks and 18 wheelers. People seem to think food is made at their retail outlets. Once in a while, its good to re-evaluate just how far you are from a natural food source. This country is just to removed from natural scarcity to know how to deal with these issues that much of the world struggles with.

sorry for rambling
>>
>>8818278
I feel you nigga
Nothing I'd like more than to see people eating more seasonally and locally

but people don't care enough to change
>>
>>8818278
>if there is ever a global or national catastrophe. Those highways get cratered or gasoline stops, then so do those freight trucks and 18 wheelers.
As if the ones who are fit to survive will die. Lettuce is easy to grow and quick. You're surrounded by meat and it's not too necessary. Local food provides more than enough in my state and MRE's are planes can still deliver to checkpoints where people can go shop at if mandatory.
>>
>>8817097
>Why is food so expensive yet agriculture and food services workers are paid like shit?
They are easily automated and their skillset is having an iq higher than 75.

>Yet, grocery chains don't make much profit either.
That's because they rely on you buying multiple items.

>Why is food so expensive
You're buying cuck foods.

>Is it all being swallowed up by landlords charging rent on grocery stores?
No. Just go to costco and vons.
>>
>>8818278
>Energy taxes hit that sector really hard. I am living in a surreal world where you need geologists, surveyors, engineers, millions in rigging and construction, an extraction crew, and then shipping to and from a refinery to process petroleum, and its $2.50 a gallon. I squeeze a cows tit and that goes for $4 around here, and this is dairy country.
That's because milk is perishable, while degassed crude is about as stable as can be.
>>
Food is
about 10% of my monthly expenses.
i could work very little of I just had to pay for food.
>>
>>8818278
> People seem to think food is made at their retail outlets

I have no idea why farmers are constantly spouting this meme. No one thinks grocery stores make their food, everyone knows it comes from California and Mexico. Stop it already you're embarrassing yourselves.
>>
>>8818366
Nigger my food comes from a local farmer in MN/WI. I only farmers market. I eat preserved food in the winter.
>>
>>8817115
Does the massage come with a happy ending?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.