[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is cooking a steak with rosemary and garlic worth it? or is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: rosemary.jpg (66KB, 695x396px)
rosemary.jpg
66KB, 695x396px
is cooking a steak with rosemary and garlic worth it? or is it just a meme

I usually just use salt pepper and butter
>>
Rosemary is for chicken, makes your steak taste like flowers

Use thyme if it's choice, just salt and pepper if it's prime.
>>
>>8813864

ok thank you
>>
you'll be cooking too hot for garlic. it will get bitter.
>>
>>8813878
not if you add it in the last second
>>
>>8813864
what if it's select?
>>
>>8813852
They typically say that you add the butter with thyme and garlic at the very end once the steak is cooked just to baste it with the butter and maybe pour it over the steak while it rests. It's important not to scorch the butter. But yeah if you do it right, the process imparts the steak with thymey flavor, sometimes garlicky. Tbh I think it's kind of a meme, and I don't use that term loosely with cooking. Not a bad meme but a little memey.
>>
>>8813926
A hammer.
>>
I use a rosemary in an overnight marinade usually. It's often used for poultry, but it you like rosemary, it definitely works well on steak and patatoes with some paprika
>>
why aren't you grilling
>>
>>8813952

ok thank you for this info

>>8813961

interesting.

>>8813964

i'm in an apartment and don't have a grill unfortunately
>>
>>8813864
Rosemary tastes more like pine smells than most flowers taste. It's good with beef, but people tend to use too much. I like to use a blend of sage, rosemary, thyme, and chive in a compound butter
>>
>>8814034
mr fancy

y-you got any more tidbits
>>
>>8814059
It's not all that fancy if you grow them. Doing that for Easter dinner with some whiskey caramelized onions and glazed mushrooms (beef stock reduction with a little vinegar and sugar).

>vehicle captcha
>all but 2 squares
kill me
>>
>>8814071
should mention I just put a pat of butter on them as they rest or are finishing in the oven or grill (foil under if on the grill), depending on how they're cooked
use freshly cracked pepper, not the ground stuff
don't need a grinder, use the bottom of a pan or bowl or something-put them in a baggie if they fly out on you
>>
File: 20170307_204751.jpg (750KB, 2240x1344px)
20170307_204751.jpg
750KB, 2240x1344px
I add the butter and thyme after the first flip, and use a spoon to baste the steak with the scorching hot liquid that results. Put the butter in too early and it will scorch, as has been mentioned.

The butter/thyme addition adds a hint of flavor, and helps get that dark brown crust, but I sometimes leave it out, and it still comes out tasty.
>>
>>8814256

whats your opinion on flipping every 30 seconds vs flippng only once after 2-3 mins
>>
>>8814278

I flip once, judge the crust, and flip again only if it's not adequate.

I've been cooking steaks a long time, and you kind of get a feel for it.

DESU, I've never tried the "flip every 30 seconds" method, it just seems like it adds too many variables, and makes things more complicated. A good steak is a lesson in simplicity.
>>
>>8814278
It's whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't matter too much either way

If you want a really good steak though, pop it in the oven as low as it will go and cook it until you've got an internal temp around 115 degrees, then sear the shit out of the outside for a minute or so. That'll tenderize your meat a little bit, and more importantly, give you more medium rare steak and less of a thick gray band of well-done.
>>
File: 20170307_205324.jpg (896KB, 2240x1344px)
20170307_205324.jpg
896KB, 2240x1344px
>>8814314

This.

I've been using the reverse sear method for a couple of years now.

I put the steak in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes prior to cooking it in a cast iron, smoking hot pan.

The result is a steak that is done completely, edge to edge. No grey, red, to pink middle. It's all one uniform doneness.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.