[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna make a mint birthday cake. i plan to make the cake chocolate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: ddfg.jpg (22KB, 307x204px) Image search: [Google]
ddfg.jpg
22KB, 307x204px
I wanna make a mint birthday cake. i plan to make the cake chocolate with the mint mixed into the cake batter and pair it with a frosting that's slightly sweet; but not over powering.

Since i only have enough cash to buy ingredients for one cake, i can't experiment with recipes. yet i found massive variance in recipes I found online.

So has Anyone here ever made such a cake before or have recommendations for what kind of frosting i could use or what cake base recipe i should use to mix with the mint?
>>
>buy chocolate icecream mix
>add mint syrup
>icecream ends up looking like concrete
>>
>>8809458
that could be cool for the icecream
>>
>>8809440
i'm leaning toward using a Meringue Buttercream for the frosting, but unsure if i should use red velvet for the cake batter or if a deep chocolate would work better.
>>
op here, ok i've decided on a path to try. would anyone want me to post pics of my attempt or should I let this die(keeping in mind an update wouldn't come until either late tonight or early tomorrow)
>>
>>8809743
I'd be interested to see how it goes.
>>
>>8809743
Yup post it please
>>
>>8809440
I'd go with a dark chocolate cake to contrast the lightness of the mint.
>>
ok first i tried to shift 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour(instead of cake flour since that's what i had on hand). 3/4 of a cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. one and a half teaspoons baking soda and baking powder along with some salt into a large bowl.

thing was my shifting thingy was too small to hold all that so i ended up dumping it into the bowl, mixing parts of it and then sending it through the shifter until it looked well mixed.

then i combined all the liquid stuff i was using into a measuring cup: a cup whole milk, half a cup vegetable oil(i used corn) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and one teaspoon mint extract.
>>
>>8811952
at this point i realized i had forgotten to butter the baking pans(2 9ich) and pre-heat the oven. so I buttered the pans, used the sifter to dust the pans with my coca powder and readied the oven by heating to 350 degrees. the cake batter after mixing was kinda thick and more resembled a cookie dough than a cake batter.
>>
>>8811996
so i boiled around a cup of water and dumped it into the cake batter, it took on the soupy mix look and then i poured it into me pans, at this point i realized i had forgotten to add the 2 cups granulated sugar i should have added to the dry stuffs. so i added one cup each to the filled pans and mixed it.

the batter got a dark streaky look and it didn't appear to incorporate all that well, but fuck it at least they have some sweetness now.
>>
why do threads with potential have to die with memes

for the original
you could use a normal cake recipe and add in some peppermint extract and a small amount of finely-chopped peppermint leaves

the icing shouldn't be too sweet--it should have more of a grounded, base presence
but since you have a chocolate cake, a good strawberry glaze may work well

i'd like to try out that combination of tastes
>>
>>8812039
so i baked them for 30 minutes and then let them cool completely before frosting them. while that was cooling i made the frosting, I chose to use a swiss meringue buttercream found here

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/swiss-meringue-buttercream/

only i used i cup sugar as well as kicking out the almond extract(i felt there was too much going on), having tasted the finished frosting i wish i had only used half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. since the vanilla is kinda too strong at the moment, also the frosting was a little grainy so if i make this again i would try using half to 3/4s a cup of powered sugar and see if that combines better.

otherwise i really like how it come out. also for the butter it was practically melting when i added it, so i didn't need to cut it up. I would recommend others do so as well, since my mixer had an easy time combining the butter with the meringue. also it made it super easy to spread.

Since i'm bad at getting frosting to lay smooth, and seeing the other anions post about using a dark chocolate cake base, I decided to shift a little of the coca powder onto the cake. since the frosting is still sweet, the bitterness of the coca is not detectable but it made the cake a little more chocolaty.

since i didn't have any cake stencils on hand, i just placed a few shot glasses on top and plan to place the candles inside the free circles later on. as well as placing a few mints along the edges of the circles.

I haven't eaten the finished cake yet, but from the cake left in the pan from flipping the cool cakes out of their pans, i can say i should have used about 3/4s of a teaspoon or half of teaspoon for the mint extract. but overall the parts seem to taste ok and with a little more tweaking i think it could have something yummy.
>>
File: finished cake.jpg (11KB, 400x140px) Image search: [Google]
finished cake.jpg
11KB, 400x140px
>>8812073
had i seen your post yesterday i would have tried your approach. I think i will try another cake in a few weeks and when i do i'll see how a strawberry glaze works.
>>
>>8812117
were you being serious earlier about forgetting the sugar
>>
>>8812156
yes
>>
>>8812117
Nice job anon. It doesn't look bad.
>>
>>8809440
Use toothpaste
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.