[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently, the average Japanese person will use furikake seasoning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: furikake.jpg (159KB, 765x612px) Image search: [Google]
furikake.jpg
159KB, 765x612px
Apparently, the average Japanese person will use furikake seasoning (a mixture of roasted sesame seed, salt, sugar and minced seaweed) on plain white rice, as opposed to liquid sauces.

Is the regular usage of a sprinkled dry seasoning on plain white rice unique to only Japanese culture or cuisine? Does anyone know if there is a comparable trend in other cultures? The reason why I'm asking is because all Google ever gives me are fried rice recipes when I go to search about this and it's starting to piss me off.
>>
>>8807062
If Google can't give you a decent answer, I doubt any of the McChicken loving 'tards here can.
>>
>>8807062
Why not eat furikake by itself? Fucking delicious stuff
>>
>>8807069
I found plenty of info using bing so idk wtf u2 r talking about rn
>>
I can at least tell you that Chinese cuisine doesn't have anything similar.
>>
>>8807062
I think African cultures use a dry powder for some rice dishes same with Indian.
>>
>>8807082
I'm not OP. I didn't bother Googling it. You can suck me sideways, friendo.
>also, Global Rule Number 3, fag
>>
>>8807062
Furigake is basically designed to simulate the flavors of things you would typically eat with rice.
It's not really something that's super historical, more of an early 20th century convenience/supplementary item, kinda like instant noodles.

Indians put dried chutney on rice.

Koreans have their own versions of furigake. I've made it with nori, bacon bits, black pepper, and the blood of my enemies. Pretty good.
>>
The Egyptians have dukkah, which is delicious.
>>
>>8807062
I am in Japan and I have yet to see someone have furikake on plain rice. Usually they eat the rice without anything on it.
>>
File: IMG_5695.png (663KB, 1509x439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5695.png
663KB, 1509x439px
Implying from its name, it probably originated from japan. Other cultures probably adopted the practice, etc, etc, etc...
>>
I think the japanese use dry seasoning because their sticky rice don't go well with sauces. You add sauce/gravy and it becomes a mushy mess, unlike the harder grains Chinese/Indian cuisines use.
>>
Lao cuisine (and possibly the cuisines of the whole Mekong delta area) tops rice with various dry things. Kaipen, from which the Japanese got nori, is a type of river algae that's collected, pressed into sheets, dried and roasted. It can be eaten as a cracker or snipped/crumbled onto Lao rice, typically along with mufoi (flaked/powdered pork, very similar to Chinese rousong), pafoi (same thing, but fish instead of pork) and siyn savan/haeng (two similar, but moister, foods cut into strips rather than flakes; it's made of beef and is a lot like beef jerky, but cut into smaller pieces and dried over coals rather than air dried).

>>8807083
Do Chinese not put rousong on rice?
>>
File: muoi_me.jpg (59KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
muoi_me.jpg
59KB, 600x400px
Vietnam has muối mè, which is made of salt, peanut and sesame.
>>
>>8807083
we actually do have dry seasonings on things like congee. i'm sure dry seasoning on rice is a dish somewhere.
>>
>>8807062
does sprinkeled hard cheese count?
if so: Italians
also powderd sugar mixed with poppy seeds
>>
>>8807866
let's say cheese and savory foods only. also seeds are excluded cause way too many dishes add toasted sesame at the end.
>>
Indonesian people eat floss (beef, chicken, pork, tuna, crab) with rice.
>>
>>8807062
It makes more sense to use a dry powder anyway, since you can still eat the clumps of rice with chopsticks. Add a liquid and the rice falls apart and you need a spoon
>>
>>8807877
>Add a liquid and the rice falls apart and you need a spoon

But they also had spoons.
>>
>>8807884
No, they only use chopsticks in Asia, for every dish. Spoons are a baka gaijin invention
>>
>>8807875
ops recipe also has sesameseeds in it
plus if you exclude seeds you end up with dried herb mixtures and chillis

how about toasted breadcrumbs?
>>
>>8807884
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
wanted to link >>8807870 with >>8807887
>>
>>8807887
toasted breadcrumbs on rice? how does that taste?
>>
>>8807062
I use curry powder on rice all the time
>>
>>8807886
Asian here, only use chopsticks in Japanese or Chinese restaurants.
Spoon/hand are better
>>
>>8807083
really? "chinese cuisine" the 1000 local varieties of 6000 years never put some shit on rice?

you goofy
>>
>>8807896
guess like shit and dry like hell if you don't add other seasonings but excluding seeds there aren't much options
>>
File: FBAUT3QGE0570F4.MEDIUM.jpg (55KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FBAUT3QGE0570F4.MEDIUM.jpg
55KB, 620x465px
>>8807899
found the indian
>>
>>8807904
rice doesn't have to be dry though? rice can be quite fluffy. breadcrumbs seem dry and imcompatiable with rice. where in the world has breadcrumbs on rice?
>>
>>8807918
poorfags sometimes eat bredcrumbs, sugar and pasta combined
I thought there isn't much difference if you ombine it with rice instead of pasta
>>
>>8807927
what led you to believe rice and pasta are even remotely similar? besides the fact that they're both carbs i don't know of any way to sub rice for pasta or vice versa and not have it taste terrible
>>
>>8807909
Indonesia, but I guess /ck/ can't into Asian cultures.
>>
>>8807944
in the case of toasted breadcrumbs on top there is a similarity
it will taste like dry shit and you will cough if you don't eat careful
>>
>>8807947
grilled chicken with rice? why.
>>8807959
kek
>>
>It typically consists of a mixture of dried and ground fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, salt, and monosodium glutamate.

no thanks, sounds dreadful.
>>
>>8807967
processed cheese on wonderbread and a glass of water on the side for dippin'!
>>
>>8807062
>Is the regular usage of a sprinkled dry seasoning on plain white rice unique to only Japanese culture or cuisine?

I have no idea. But the idea of adding a liquid sauce to rice is very strange to me. I'm of European descent currently living in the US. I eat a lot of food from many different cultures. Yet the idea of adding a sauce to rice is just plain weird, unless you're talking about eating the rice along with a liquidy dish like curry or a stir-fry.

I've had Furikake many times. It's good stuff. It also comes in many different varieties. some have fish, some don't. Some have seaweed, some don't. Etc.
>>
>>8807961
Because rice is staple food in Indonesia? We eat most things with rice in general.
>>
>>8807961
>grilled chicken with rice? why.

Why not? Sounds delicious. And rice is a nice generic side that can go with just about anything, sort of like potatoes.
>>
>>8808020
>>8808024
rice has never worked with grilled chicken for me. just too dry when the two are combined.
>>
>>8807062
>Apparently
So you just learned about this I'm guessing. Regardless I'm just dropping by to tell you to try furikake if you haven't already and can get it at a reasonable price.
>>
>>8808033
How badly are you overcooking your chicken? I cut up my tenderloins into cubes and toss em in and theyre lovely, juicy as fuck
>>
Japan
- few use furikake atop rice
- children and very picky people might use it if at all
- it's more common to use it for onigiri or bento.

Arab and muslim cuisine:
- has ras el hanout and zaatar but more likely to be used for meats and bread+oil
- dried fruit (usu. raisins) are mixed into rice dishes like pilaf and biryani
- some cuisines in N. Africa have sweet dishes that sprinkle cinnamon/sugar atop couscous/semolina.

SEA nations
- uncommon but a rice dish may be garnished with little fried things (onions, garlic, shrimp).

USA:
- Tony Chachere might be found on the table in Creole and some Southern cuisine, but it's usu. (and rarely) reservered for other dishes since the rice dishes are already flavorful; more likely ot be used by non-local
- the same could be said folr Old Bay spice.

On another note
- Fairy bread
- Cinnamon toast
- Confectionary sugar

t. eat a lot / lived here and there and amongst others
>>
>>8808144
good post
>>
>>8808147
p.s.
On another note
- USA sprinkles stuff onto popcorn, chips, and french fries; average Amerifat eats more potatoes and corn than bread and rice.
>>
>>8807062
If you are thinking of not just plain rice and not even fried or greasy one then try "pulao" recipes. You might like it
>>
>>8807740
On plain white rice?

>>8807865
But congee is wet so it makes up for the lack of sauce.
>>
>>8808824
>plain white rice
Sort of?
Lao cuisine doesn't use the same rice you'd get at a Chinese takeaway. It's fragrant glutinous, short grain rice.
The combo of kaipen, mufoi/pafoi etc and plain Lao rice is eaten as a snack, though, not with a meal. If you're eating a meal, the rice is never with topping (other than, maybe jeow bong, a type of dry salsa made from puffed buffalo skin, sand ginger, chillies and other ingredients).

>>8808144
Laos is in SEA and eats rice with dry topping as a snack.

>>8807809
Lao do that, too.
>>
File: IMG_1021.png (66KB, 249x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1021.png
66KB, 249x200px
>>8807621
>tfw I agree with Trump on something
Guess I'd better turn in my liberal card.
>>
>>8807062
We Koreans do this. Some of my Chinese friends do it. Granted, the practice may have originated from Japan but the fact of the matter is that Koreans do this, and possibly the Chinese.
>>
>>8807178
nobody fucking cares about your made up faggot shit you back seat moderator nerd kill yourself virgin faggot cant get laid so youre sitting on 4chan telling people about rules LMAO loser why are you taking up my oixygen kill yourself
>>
>>8807457
Why do you keep saying furigake? Is it some inaka-ben?
>>
>>8807621
>tfw you have perky nips

;_;
>>
>>8810764
Who am I kidding. It did indeed originate in Japan ffs in Korean it's just called 후리카케 (hoo-ree-kah-ke).
>>
>>8810810
post nips
>>
>>8807062
furikake is for children who haven't yet come to accept the blandness of japanese cuisine.
>>
File: 1488608496222.jpg (98KB, 960x850px) Image search: [Google]
1488608496222.jpg
98KB, 960x850px
>>8810786
Wow, holy projecting, Batman!
>also, learn to use some fucking punctuation
>>
>>8807062
Iranians regularly use a spice called "sumac", which is related to but not the same as the shrub that Murricans call sumac. It's a coarse red powder. Tastes great. Sometimes they use dill instead. They also tend to put butter on the rice, more so with dill than with sumac.
>>
File: da8v7c38lqny.jpg (119KB, 1137x800px) Image search: [Google]
da8v7c38lqny.jpg
119KB, 1137x800px
>>8810963
>>
>>8807621
>>
>>8810999
Why don't Japanese like flavor? Even French cuisine is more adventurous.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.