[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2 cups of rice fills up an entire pot >4 cups of rice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

>2 cups of rice fills up an entire pot
>4 cups of rice fills up that same pot
defend this /ck/
>>
File: 1490198054959.png (1MB, 500x646px) Image search: [Google]
1490198054959.png
1MB, 500x646px
>dry rice and wet rice have different volumes

What sorcery is this
>>
when rice gets wet it multiplies
>>
>>8797735
Define your terms.

if 4 cups of dry rice fills your pot, you have a small pot.

If 2 cups of rice, saturated to the brim fills the same pot, you have some stretchy rice.

If you think 2 cups of saturated rice and 4 cups of saturated rice have the same volume, you're wrong.

If your pot is changing volume to match your rice, you have a magical pot.
>>
>>8797753
disclaimer i don't cook very often and am kinda bad at it so if you could please explain it in a simple way that would be appreciated. I made 2 cups of rice today when I usually make 4. I didn't want it to fill up the entire pot but it filled up anyway. I know that rice soaks up water but isn't this a bit excessive! whats the upper limit can 1 cup of rice fill that same pot?
>>
>>8797776
rice is a living organism and water triggers its reproduction
>>
>>8797772
4 cups of dry rice fills my pot about a third of the way.
2 cups of dry rice fills my pot half of a third of the way.
when cooked both cups fill to the very top.
>>
>>8797776
When dry rice is fully saturated it roughly doubles in volume.
2 cups of dry rice will swell to roughly 4 cups of cooked rice

If your 4 cups of cooked rice are only swelling up to the same volume as 2 cups of cooked rice then the former is undersaturated or undercooked
>>
>>8797776
depends on your rice. Some varieties can take on their own volume and more of liquid.

So your conundrum depends on the pressure in your pot (solid sealing lid?), and how much liquid you use (eyeballed?), also whether or not it was the same variety of rice.
>>
>>8797794
Ok. If you are lidding it (as you should) your lid is providing a barrier that your rice can't breach.

Basically your 2 cups is probably actually filling out to fill your pot and your 4 cups is being squished back down to size.
>>
>>8797795
>If your 4 cups of cooked rice are only swelling up to the same volume as 2 cups of cooked rice then the former is undersaturated or undercooked
i dont think its undercooked i cook it for the recommended amount of time. and if there is still water i turn up the heat and keep it covered till it goes away.

>>8797797
>So your conundrum depends on the pressure in your pot (solid sealing lid?), and how much liquid you use (eyeballed?), also whether or not it was the same variety of rice.
regular lid. and i do eyeball the water. It is the same variety of rice. though i've had it for a couple of months not sure if that does anything though.

>>8797801
>Basically your 2 cups is probably actually filling out to fill your pot and your 4 cups is being squished back down to size.
this makes sense. so i should be using 2 cups from now on?
>>
>>8797758
Only after midnight though or is this if you feed it? I forgot the rules.
>>
Here in the culinary world we do things by weight
>>
>>8797792
Underrated post.
>>
>>8798088
Not really. This is 4chan; if it was a living organism I would have seen a guide on how to fuck it.
>>
Rice is for plebs anyway
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.