[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with sushi? I had it once and it was meh.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 10

File: unnamed.jpg (113KB, 820x484px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
113KB, 820x484px
What's the deal with sushi?
I had it once and it was meh.
I get its widely popular and probably for some reason.
Rice, raw fish, a couple slices of vegetables wrapped in seaweed.
I dont get it.
>>
>>8782860
It's tasty and comfy to eat.
>>
>>8782860
It's delicious.

>>had it once
So go try it again elsewhere. Single experiences are worthless for judging anything. And there's an awful lot of mediocre sushi out there.
>>
Adolescence is liking sushi.
Adulthood is realising that gimbap is superior.

Having what little culture they had in the first place wiped out by Japan has made Korea the GOAT fusion-food country.

If you ever visit Korea, don't bother with anything but the fusion places.
>>
>>8782860
Did you have good sushi or some crap on badly prepared rice?
>>
>>8782877
It was in some private company. The guy was ok at cooking but probably not that into the japanese cuisine.
>>
>>8782860
well, it is quite a specific food. Not for everyone, bc not all people like raw fish, seaweed, and its taste is more subtle than most food's you are used too.
>>
I mostly just like the sashimi, where it is just raw fish. Salmon sashimi is so good because you can really taste the fatty fish and it gives you an appreciation for the clean simple flavor of salmon.
>>
I love western style sushi

THERE I SAID IT
>>
>>8782860
Sushi is only as good as what it's made of. You'll know if you got the freshest, tastiest fish possible, and you'll know if you got any less than that. That concept of the pure flavor of the ingredients being the whole flavor of the food is the kind of purity that appeals to Japanese people.
>>
>>8782860
>>8782890
>What's the deal with sushi?
>My fuckstick friend tried making once, and didn't do it well.

What do you expect us to tell you.
>>
>>8783084
avocados were the best thing to ever happen to sushi, I don't care what nips think with their DURR GAIJIN NOT HON-MONO MAKIZUSHI attitude, they are wrong.
>>
Korean and Chinese made sushi is shit (also happens that they are the two biggest owners of sushi restaurants in America).
>>
>>8783099
Sure, their underground dog-meat-as-counterfeit-pork bullshit notwithstanding..
>>
File: 1490547463283.png (105KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1490547463283.png
105KB, 400x400px
>>8783164
you're thinking of the wrong asians buddy
>>
>>8783143
I agree, I will eat just avocado sushi because it is cheap and delicious. Avocado and salmon is god tier
>>
>>8783084
>bagel roll
>battered and deep fried w/ creme cheese in the middle
>sauce drizzled on top
and you're okay with this?
>>
>>8782860
Hipsters and weebs, anon.
It's overrated as fuck.
>>
do not eat white tuna

its not tuna, its this gross fish full of wax

I wish I knew this sooner, but now you do
>>
>local sushi restaurant
>all you can eat lunch for 8€
>it's always good
feels good
>>
Salmon, Hamachi & Toro are GOAT sashimi. Sea urchin is GOAT nigiri. Skip all that Americanized Philly roll type garbage and keep it simple.
>>
>>8784363
also called escolar

shit's pretty bad for you, but I think in the US it needs to be labelled as such (maybe only in some states)
>>
>>8782860
I'm with OP. I think it's badly overrated. I think it's more trendy than tasty. Except octopus. Octopus is pretty good.
>>
>>8784412
>but I think in the US it needs to be labelled as such (maybe only in some states)

well apparently, not in mine

>>8784436

octopus is the worst, like chewing on a shrimp flavored tire
>>
>>8784412
They tried to ban it in Hawaii but the law went nowhere. Other than that all we have in the USA is an FDA recommendation against marketing it.

You'd think businesses would know better than to sell it though, since anyone who eats the stuff will assume they've gotten food poisoning.
>>
>>8782860
Japan promoted it a lot.
>>
>>8782875
Jjajang noodles are great as well.
>>
There are a lot of weebs who like it because 'muh Japanese culture!' and a lot of dumb young white people who think its extremely high class.

Don't take this as me bashing sushi either, I've got nothing against it. But it's traditionally the Japanese equivalent of fast food and if you think you're super sophisticated for eating it you've been memes on. That's the reason for its relatively recent explosion in popularity in the west
>>
>>8782860
It's a super convenient lunch since you can just walk in, buy a pack, walk out. Don't have to wait for any cooking or anything since it's all premade.

It also looks and tastes healthy and you feel like you're a worldly person for eating '''exotic''' food.
>>
>>8784878
Zhajiang*
>>
I like sushi but prefer sashimi. The raw fish is the tastiest part I enjoy it by itself.
>>
>>8784601
actually I had been eating it and had no problems

I just googled it one day and realized what I was eating was bad, but I guess I wasn't eating it often enough or can tolerate it well
>>
>>8782860
>>8782983

Sushi doesn't require raw fish. Only vinegared rice.
>>
>>8784957
It is actually pretty healthy depending on the type.
>>
>>8784574
>escolar
Octopus and squid really need a chef that knows what they are doing. Everyone else fucks it up.
>>
>>8782860
worst shit ever created next to avocado and sirracha
>>
>>8784964
I had Mackerel nigiri the other day
Holy shit that is a decadent tasting fish
>>
>>8782875
>>8782875
>superior
Kimbap is nice but not even on the same level as fine sushi
Fuck off
>>
>>8785136
>Mackerel
you know that is a shit tier fish we use to bait sharks with?
>>
>>8785146
Don't care, tasted great.
>>
>>8785148
tastes like shite to me
>>
I think its okay, but I like the fancy rolls and everything more than just the fish on rice. I've been told by time you get to rolls its mostly American food but I still like it. I could live without octopus though.
>>
>>8785153
Yeah well I respect your disagreement on this subject and make no insistence on the taste of fish being objective
>>
>>8782875
You're comparing a fast food to a cuisine. One takes refrigerated and pickled ingredients that are mass produced and seasoned with salt and sesame oil, and the other requires fresh ingredients and knowledge of anatomy of fish. In essence that is not much different than comparing a dry aged steak to ground hamburger. Stop embarrassing yourself. Stop embarrassing me.
>>
Is it authentic to take rolls of sushi and coat them in tempura batter and fry them or is it just great?
>>
>>8782860

You have to go to certain places to get good sushi. Theres a sushi place at least every mile or two around where I live but I would only actually get sushi at 3 of them. Also theres so many different things you won't know exactly what you like the best until you go probably at least 20 times. Sushi is so complicated because theres so many different ingredients to mix and match. If you just go and try a california roll thats not a good example of sushi because theres 1000 different rolls out there that taste nothing like a california roll.
>>
>>8782860
it's one of those things that's really dependent on where you get it. Try getting it at a not shitty place.
>>
>>8782860
I grew up on the coast and ate seafood 2-3 meals a week for years, but I've never been that big on sushi

Like, I don't dislike it, I just don't think it's all that great. I'll take fried or baked fish filets over salmon rolls any day of the week
>>
>>8785004
It's labeled on the menu of a Japanese restaurant near me and there's a warning to not consume more than 6 ounces of it at a time.
>>
>>8783168
No. Don't be stupid.
>>
Went to Japan for ~9 months last year with my ex-gf

Ate sushi that had been alive less than an hour before near the ports in 富山県. rode our bikes back to her house afterwards and had sex for hours. broke up with her because i couldnt handle the shame of racemixing, came back to america.

havent had sushi since, too painful
>>
>>8787318
*Hug:(*
>>
>>8785124
With sugar. And it has to specifically be rice vingar.
>>
>>8787318
You did the right thing by letting the mongrel go.
>>
>>8787318
>>8787528

I like mixed breeds. Theyre my favorite dogs.
>>
Raw fish is bland.
>>
>>8783164
It's the chinks who eat dogs
>>
>>8782860
I like the texture of raw fish.
I'd make it myself, but apparently there's strict guidelines on how to store fish so that it's safe to consume raw, and the supermarkets near me don't sell fish like that.
>>
>>8787850
Not sure if I buy the sushi storage shit. I think grocery stores just don't want the liability, and I don't blame them
>>
>>8787606
>what is the Japanese dog meat scandal?
>>
>>8782860
It's delicious. And, personally, the only rolls I order are maki rolls, because I don't like all the sauces and shit they put on rolls here.
I usually order sashimi and nigiri.
If you order the right fish, and the place is a GOOD one, you'll get a "high" from eating it. Last time I was a my favorite sushi place, I had hamachi kama, 6 pieces of toro, oysters, miso soup, grilled cuttlefish, and uni, (oh, and some cold sake), and I left feeling like I'd smoked a really good joint.
>>
>>8785146
Then you're an idiot. Mackerel is one of the best fish, period. Good and good for you.
>>
File: 1490263646649.gif (2MB, 298x301px) Image search: [Google]
1490263646649.gif
2MB, 298x301px
>>8783261
lightly tempura-battered, deep fried rolls are the best though
>>
>>8782860
Weebs. seriously, it's ok but not great. Weebs would eat the shit out of a guy's ass if he was a filthy jap.
>>
>>8787606
China is still a type of weeb
>>
File: prancing lala homo man.png (624KB, 722x525px) Image search: [Google]
prancing lala homo man.png
624KB, 722x525px
>>8788249
yeah well you're a type of weeb
>>
>>8785140
Found the weeaboo

I take it you never been to Japan, the vast majority of sushi served isn't anything close to fine dining. It's pretty much the equivalent of burgers in the US, most people just get it as a quick, easy meal or if you want you can pay a little more and go somewhere and get a sushi omakase. Everyone isn't having dinner at Jiro's every night like you imagine.
>>
>>8788227
I admit tempura fried rolls are fucking great, but that's like a once-in-awhile treat. Getting that regularly is just fatty.
>>
>>8782860
It depends on what kinds you get.
I'm not a huge fan of the usual ones with tuna and such but I would do horrible things for a plate of well made eel sushi.
>>
>>8782860
You can do a lot of shit with sushi
>>
>>8783143
But avocados are native to japan
>>
>>8788302
But that take out sushi from a place like Chiyoda or any kaiten zushi place is still better than the vast majority of restaurants in the US.
A good number of places in the US can barely even compete with Maruetsu tier grocery store sushi.
>>
>>8787318
that is why this world is so cancerous, because of dog-like scum like you.
enjoy burning in hell, because there is punishment for such evil oh trust me there is.
>>
>>8783160
Shame WW2 killed Japanese immigration to America.
>>
>>8784363
>>8784412
>>8784574
>>8784601
>>8785004
Amazed how a fish is somehow unedible to humans in large amounts.

Is it because it is way too greasy or oily?

But people eating stuff like fried butter sticks at carnivals or fairs don't seem to suffer like that.
>>
>>8784930
It was fast food in ancient times because cooking oil, gathering wood, etc was expensive.
>>
>>8789419
>ancient times

Sushi as we know it dates to the 1850s

There's a similar dish that's much older but the fish was fermented.
>>
>>8789413
Specifically it's a kind of wax that humans can't digest and that's why it causes problems
>>
>>8782860
It's pretty enjoyable when done right, but because normies largely think 'eww raw fish' when confronted by the idea of sushi, it appeals to the edgy hipster crowd who like to be seen as being outside of the norm. Naturally, they take this too far, and assign it a whole ton of depth which isn't actually there.

Like, sushi is one of the most 'okay' foods. It's okay. I like it every once in a while, something different, but as a culinary style I don't think it's got a lot of value.
>>
Maybe you CANNOT enjoy sushi? I ate a lot of junk food and heavily seasoned food as a kid and couldn't make out the mild tastes from sushi ingredients. It just tasted like a salty mush to me back then.

I can now but I'm too cheap to eat them regularly
>>
>>8782868
this. mediocre sushi and poorly made, quick sushi is too common sadly.
>>
what's the deal with pasta
I had boxed spaghetti and ragu sauce one time
some slimy carbs and sugary tomato sauce
I don't get it
>>
Nobody is talking about the superior Uni? Love me some genitals.

Enjoy octopus too but baby octopus weirds me out a little to look at. My favorite drunk food happens to be supermarket sushi partly for convenience.
>>
>>8789377
Agreed, sex outside of marriage is a sin!
>>
Sushi is 100% better with cooked fish. Its still good raw either way.
>>
File: 1482816752017.jpg (3KB, 125x117px) Image search: [Google]
1482816752017.jpg
3KB, 125x117px
>>8788227
ahhhh!!!! too much grease!!!!!
>>
>>8784363
>>8784412
>>8784574
>>8789413
>eating tuna anyway
it's one of the most disgusting-tasting fish, especially raw
why people would eat it over red snapper or salmon is fucking beyond me
>>
File: olaf.png (465KB, 1000x798px) Image search: [Google]
olaf.png
465KB, 1000x798px
>>8790682
if it's being made by a retard who doesn't know how to deep fry things
deep frying only makes things greasy if it's not hot enough, it essentially causes the oil to mix into whatever you're cooking (as if you dropped it into a pot of water) rather than actually cooking it
>>
>>8787318
>because i couldnt handle the shame of racemixing, came back to america.
i don't even have to but i'm going to anyway
this shit is why you don't have a girlfriend
be less of a pathetic human being
>>
>>8790002
>edgy hipster crowd

How flyover are you?
Sushi has been a normie food since the '80s.
>>
>>8791435
He means hipster for Wisconsin, they're about 50 years behind, cut him some slack
>>
>>8790002
>but because normies largely think 'eww raw fish' when confronted by the idea of sushi
mostly people that are 30+
i don't know anyone under 30 who reactionarily goes EW SUSHI
>>
>>8782860
>Rice, raw fish, a couple slices of vegetables wrapped in seaweed.
>I dont get it.
What is not to get? It tastes good.

Originally sushi was created as a way of preserving fish, the rice would go sour and prevent bacteria from developing in the fish, while the seaweed wrapping kept it sealed and humid inside.

They would roll it up and keep it stocked in a pile until you decide to eat it, then slice it and dip it in shoyu and wassabi if you like.

Today it no longer has any function of food preservation due to modern refrigeration, but people still eat it because it tastes good.

Sashimi is also very good but only if it is fresh.
>>
Reminder if you've never been to Japan you've never had good sushi.
>>
>>8792092
The coasts have fresh live fish and boatloads of Japanese immigrants to prepare it
>>
>>8792092
>Reminder if you've never been to Japan you've never had good sushi.
The people that cook at my favorite restaurant don't even speak my language, they are imigrants from Japan and cook just the way they did back at home, specially because their target costumers are japanese imigarnts.

So I somehow doubt your statement and will go ahead and call you a pretentious hipster faggot.
>>
>>8792110
>>8792112

The fact that you replied makes me think that you know you're wrong.
>>
>>8792092
Bullshit.
You can get just as good sushi on the West Coast. The best sushi places here have their fish flown from Japan on a daily basis and/or use fish that was freshly caught that day here. You just have to make sure you go to a Japanese owned sushi place, and not one owned by Koreans. The difference is fucking HUGE.
>>
>>8792092
western sushi is an entirely different ballgame though
>>
>>8792115
I understand. You're a flyover and you can't help yourself.
>>
>>8792092

This is true.

California has some pretty good sushi but honestly in Japan it's entirely different. Drive along the coast and find the roadside shacks where the same old man has been making sushi for the village for like 60 years. It's cheap. It's simple. It's literally best sushi you will eat in your entire life. And there's hundreds of shacks like it all over the island. Just thinking of it gets me rock hard. Do this once in your life.
>>
>>8792115
>The fact that you replied makes me think that you know you're wrong.
>replying to a retarded post you disagree with somehow makes your point be invalid.

Nice try faggot, but you know nothing about the world it seems...

Do you seriously believe that rich people would eat at a fine restaurant that serves sushi if it was not of top quality?

You seem to think that just because a sushi restaurant is in japan it would necessarily be good, this could not be more wrong.

Good restaurants depend solely on two things: good igredients and skilled chefs.

It makes no difference whatsoever whether the restaurant is in Japan, China, Europe, north america or australia, in the end it all comes down to whether they are using quality fresh igredients and have a skilled chef preparing the food.

Your entire worldview seems to be that of a kid who has yet to experience much of the world.
>>
>>8792141
Op here. Duly noted...
>>
>>8782860
I like some of them but other ones give me a gag reflex, I don't know why
>>
File: 1455158815191.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455158815191.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
>Willingly raising your blood mercury level

No wonder all the japanese are autistic
I do appreciate their sense of esthetics though
>>
I fucking love sushi, but I love it most when there's noone around to judge and I can drown it in large amounts of that fake wasabi and soy sauce like a true ignorant westerner. I don't care, that's just how I like it. It brings me pure joy.
>>
It's good for you is a starter
You could also try different kinds. I'm pretty particular on what I order
>>
>>8792141
What? You'll get far better sushi literally anywhere in Tokyo than you will roaming around the inakas. Japanese are extremely tough food critics.

Food isn't always prepared in a way that westerners like, but if theres any variation from the standard it'd better be so amazing that you get on the news with lines out the door for a year.
Sushi is not one of those foods people take a risk on, so the places that survive in Tokyo are going to be top. Grocery store sushi is typically better than what you find in the US
>>
>>8792147
This, I once was on a bumfuck nowhere island in the Philippines and I bought an entire tuna just fished an hour before (for 3.5€/kg) and had a friend who knew his shit prepare it sashimi style. One of the best lunches of my life.
>>
>>8790682
>tempura
>grease
>>
>>8791637
Really? Every fucker in my area does it. Maybe it's a brit thing, but my people largely subsist on fried or charred garbage, so it would make sense.
>>
>>8793178
you having a fucking laugh m8? sushi has been common here for decades man
>>
>>8783055

>sashimi

just fucking say raw fish, you insufferable weeb faggot
>>
>>8793178

It is absolutely a Brit thing, British tourists are notorious crybabies
>>
>>8793485
>He hates on weebshit to mask his insecurity
>>
>>8793485
Sashimi is raw fish cut and served in a specific way. Raw fish could be a fucking catfish you threw on a plate
>>
>>8793545
ok sorry, it's cut up raw fish
>>
>>8793485
>porterhouse steak

Juste putain dire bœuf calise de tabarnak d'ostie Américain
>>
Yeah, raw fish in a restaurant kitchen where hygiene practices are always questionable. Enjoy eating what was mopped off the cutting board.
>>
>>8793622
>>8793485
The way the rice is cooked and seasoned influences the flavor a lot.
>>
>>8793178
definitely a Brit thing, then

>>8793485
>kimono
just say japanese silken dress, you insufferable weeb faggot

see how fucking stupid you sound
>>
>>8793932
not him sashimi is sliced raw fish without the rice
>>
>>8782875
>raw fish with rice is for babies
>cooked food with rice is for adults
Baka?
>>
Why do weebs have to shit up every board here?
Why don't you dumb fucks stick to your own boards?
>>
>>8794084
>weeb
just say japanese wannabe you fucking geek
>>
>>8782860
Its not like any fucking meal can be broken down to its singular components. Only sushi.
>>
>>8794953
You can't seriously be this stupid.
>>
File: IMG_1037.jpg (22KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1037.jpg
22KB, 260x194px
Friendly reminder that if you're from a five eyes nation and you identify with Japanese culture you're a fucking traitor.
>>
>>8784363
Thanks for the heads up
>>
>>8787011
I don't know, but deep frying seems to be in a LOT of Japanese recipes and I see it frequently in any Asian cooking channels I've seen, so I'm leaning towards it being a legit thing vs an amerifaf thing. Was pretty wigged out the first time I was served a cooked roll but holy shit my eyes were opened when I ate it.
>>
>>8787850
If there are places near you that sell sushi you -might- be able to purchase a slab of sushi grade fish from them so you know it's safe and ready to use. Not a guarantee, but worth a shot. Just keep in mind they'll probably rip you off and sell it at a ridiculous markup.
>>
>>8782860
The best Sushi place I've ever had in central US was strangely enough, a Carribean fusion place ran by a Venezuelan weeb. The unagi with eel sauce is heavenly.
>>
>>8783261
I like the stuff where they don't go too nuts. And the traditional.

Not big on shashimi.
>>
>>8795098

While it is true that a lot of Japanese food is deep-fried, the idea of deep-frying an entire sushi roll is certainly not typical Japanese.
>>
>>8782860
Sushi's not for everyone. But if you've only tried sushi once, you should really give it another go at a decent Japanese restaurant. There's a huge quality gap between cheap sushi and higher end sushi.
>>
>>8789377
Kill your self you race mixing scum
>>
>>8787318
Anon, I. . .
>>
>>8796571
She wasn't Japanese, she was a Pakistani.
Good riddance really.
>>
>>8783084
Agreed. I hate fish but I love sushi rice. I eat chicken and duck sushi mostly, and veggie stuff. It's delicious and I can usually eat a full meal at white people sushi places like Yo Sushi or Wasabi (UK)
>>
>>8784930
It's also pretty healthy and low calorie, and really flexible with portion sizes. Perfect for food instagrams too, sushi is really photogenic.
>>
As a cold cut dish it is the eat as fresh as possible version of proscuitto. At least for nigiri. Nothimg is more bliss tgan freshly thawed and cut fish
>>
File: mfw.jpg (290KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
290KB, 960x1280px
>>8783084

>mfw the most popular sushi chain in my area uses cream cheese, avocado, and excessive sauce on almost every roll.

There's adding a western touch to sushi and then there's going full retard.
>>
>>8791075
>the reason you don't have a girlfriend is because you broke up with her
Uh, no shit?
>>
>>8782860
I just like soy sauce tbqh.

I order plain tuna rolls and smash that shit into the sauce, let it soak for a bit, then flip it over to get the other side.

Doing this gives me something to do while I eat, makes it a really social food since everyone is doing something.

That or California rolls, they taste really good with or without the sauce.

Eel is ok as well, but I prefer cold sushi.
>>
>>8787318
Top shelf post
would recommend
>>
File: seinfeld1.jpg (32KB, 442x480px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld1.jpg
32KB, 442x480px
>What's the deal with sushi?
>I had it once... and it was meh!
>I don't get it!
>>
>>8782860
Its fucking great.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.