[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /ck/ gonna travel in Japan in two months, any recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

File: finding_restaurant_in_Tokyo.jpg (44KB, 530x398px) Image search: [Google]
finding_restaurant_in_Tokyo.jpg
44KB, 530x398px
Sup /ck/ gonna travel in Japan in two months, any recommendations for good food/restaurants/street food etc? Gonna be based in Osaka and Tokyo. Thanks
>>
>>8763471
takoyaki
>>
Hidden alley ramen shops
Takoyaki
Omanoyaki
Omurice with GOAT nip eggs
>>
>>8763474
>>8763508
Any specific place?
>>
File: FamilyMart-Japan.jpg (4MB, 3150x2100px) Image search: [Google]
FamilyMart-Japan.jpg
4MB, 3150x2100px
>>
>>8763515
Not gonna have conbini food everyday m8

Has noone ever do a /ck/ themed travel?
>>
>>8763515
The fami chicken is pretty good
>>
>>8763515
Ahh yes, the infamous Japanese discounts of a couple yen
>>
Try the Yakuniki restaurant at the top of Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara. It might have been the jet lag or the 36 hrs without food but that pound of beef I ate sure was tasty.
>>
OP, food in Japan is great really no matter where you go. Literally wandering into a random shop will most likely net you a wonderful meal.

Check out Coco Curry if ya can. Be careful about adding spice though. 4 and above will leave you sweating for sure.
>>
Coming from the U.K. It was embarrassing how healthy and tasty the food was on every street corner
>>
>>8763900
>>8763907
Did you really like it that much? I mean it was all-right, but overall the food was nothing marvelous or extremely tasty and it was a lot blander than I expected
>>
>>8763910
Where are you from?

Over here take away and fast food is always greasy and rarely cheap. Having average ramen bars on every street is a massive improvement.
>>
>>8763926
Lithuania, I guess if you're talking just about the availability of decent food then that's true. You can't really be hungry in Japan, I guess I just expected something completely mind-blowing, though okonomiyaki in Osaka was amazing
>>
>>8763910
Japan doesn't use much spice in their cooking. They're all about highlighting the freshness of ingredients and the way they work with one another. I enjoy all types of food and Japan has some wonderful cuisine.
>>
>>8763829
Only the premium, and only when you're drunk
>>
I recommend you walk into a few yakitori places and ask what the servers recommend. Try a lot of different stuff. it's pretty basic fare usually but cheap and great to drink with.
>>
>>8764061
Are there street food places in Japan like the tents in Korea? Those were always fun and had decent drinking food.
>>
>>8764130
Only at temples and usually during a festival or event. I think street food got axed during one of the Olympic prep years.
>>
>>8763900
What tier of spicy is 4? White people? Thai? I'm from SEA so I can handle some heat
>>
>>8764172
White spicy

You can take 7-9

However they charge you extra for extra spicy (at coco ichibanya anyway). It's kind of tough to find really spicy food in japan because it's not part of their day to day flavor profile. Except at the curry house
>>
I don't understand how anyone can like gook food. Jap, Chinese, Korean, SE Asian, it's all crap.
>>
>>8763938
>okonomiyaki
terrible
>>
>>8764208
Go back to /mlpol/
>>
>>8764251
It's not about racism, I like Indian, Middle Eastern, and African food, but the cuisine from east Asia just sucks.
>>
>>8763513
I went to this place in Akrihaba, Toyko, by the gaming center next to the subway. It's so damn good, it's down a busy alley way full of other baked goods.
>>
File: nakama-yukie_trick.jpg (11KB, 218x291px) Image search: [Google]
nakama-yukie_trick.jpg
11KB, 218x291px
Oh look, /ck/ couldn't give any advice.
What a shit board. Thought /sci/ was the worst. I was wrong.
>>
>>8764367
Hit up the Dennys, McDonalds, and starbucks in Shibuya. All serve amazing cuisine at great prices. Tell them Anon sent you and you'll get some special bonus items.
>>
>>8764367
Japan is not the type of country where you visit specific restaurants
>>
>>8764367
Nobody here has a passport, that's pretentious as fuck yuropoor bullshit and we don't take kindly to uppity obsessed yuropoors. Go to /trv/ it's where all the lonely dirtbag engrish teachers hang out
>>
>>8763471
Did a homestay for a month while I was studying in Kyoto last July, went back for two weeks in January.

As a few people have already said. You can walk into almost any shop and get a good meal, it's more a matter of what you feel like eating. In fact, during my month in Kyoto the Matsuya fast food place right next to the Imadegawa subway stop was my favorite place to get lunch. Chilled udon noodles (fantastic in July because it's hot as fuck out), beef bowls, etc. Perfect for a quick lunch. Avoid any ramen shop near Imadegawa though, there was one place where it literally smelled like cat piss.

Some standard things I'd recommend are revolving sushi places and the bentos that you can buy in stores or inside places like Kyoto Station. You can get ridiculously good sushi for a dollar (for one or two pieces of nigiri). There's one revolving sushi place near Ryoan-ji that I'd recommend, but I can't remember the name. Also, try to familiarize yourself with the tsukemono (japanese pickled veggies that you put on rice and stuff). There's a regional one called "shibazuke" that's local to the Kyoto area that I fell in love with.

If you want an experience, you could also try eating with the seasons, as certain things are considered seasonal staples (like pacific saury in autumn).
>>
If you visit Tokyo you should definitely try Hanamaru Udon for lunch. Those restaurants can be found everywhere around Tokyo and also cheap as fuck.
>>
>>8764454
>recommending conveyor belt sushi unironically

>>>8764654
>recommending an Udon chain

What a joke of a board.
>>
>>8764664
Let's hear your recommendation then.
>>
>>8763821
*konbini
>>
>>8764130
During winter you've got oden stands set up at night, which are great to drink at. Not sure what would be up now in Tokyo though.
>>
Visit Waseda and go to an abura soba place called 麺珍 ( menchin). Get the poached egg and green onion topping and make liberal use of the vinegar, habanero topping and garlic sauce.
>>
>>8764664
Oh gee I wasn't aware that I needed to recommend only the finest gourmet kaiseki restaurants. The reason I suggested the conveyor belt sushi and Matsuya is because some people may not want to (or can't afford to) eat at fancy restaurants twice a day. Maybe you'd prefer if I recommend a good place for botan nabe? The fact that it's unusual, rare, local to Kyoto, and fairly pricey ought to suit your tastes you pretentious cunt. There's one called Hatakaku that was only a short walk from my gf's place in Kuramaguchi that I'd definitely recommend.

Maybe this didn't occur to you, but sometimes you just want a cheap lunch that's decently tasty and fills you up. Especially if you're sightseeing and your time is limited.

And have you ever had good conveyor belt sushi? The few that I've seen in the US are garbage, but the conveyor belt sushi in Japan is surprisingly good. Especially when you consider how cheap it is and how fun the experience can be when you're eating with friends.
>>
>>8764798
So pretentious.
>>
>>8764367
Walk in anywhere that smells like food and yell Oh-soo-soo-may at the first person you see.
It's that fucking simple. Urban Japan is extremely densely packed with people who take great pride their cooking. Practically every neighborhood has its own local and seasonal cuisine to try.
This isn't weebery. If you add up all of the city's Michelin stars, Tokyo has twice as many as Paris. Kyoto and Osaka round out the top four worldwide.
>>
>>8764823
>Urban Japan is extremely densely packed with people who take great pride their cooking.
>This isn't weebery.
No, it's weebery.
>>
>>8764830
this is some weak-ass b8, but I'll commend you for getting a few bites
>>
>>8764847
Not baiting. Only weebs think every food stall in Japan is worth visiting.
>>
>>8764853
>every food stall in Japan is worth visiting
who said that? Mr. Oh-soo-soo-may has the right idea, which is that you can walk just walk into the average restaurant and get some decent food. It's Japan, not some third-world SEA shithole where you need to be super selective about where you eat. Nobody is implying that every street stall sells ambrosia (though I will admit that the handful of stalls I tried near the Tsukiji fish market were bretty gud for street fare).

If you look at >>8764454 I even specifically stated that
there's a ramen place near the Imadegawa subway stop that peddels pure piss. So you're either b8ing or you failed elementary school English classes.
>>
>>8764823
>If you add up all of the city's Michelin stars, Tokyo has twice as many as Paris.
That was a controversial political decision
>>
>>8764960
>when restaurants in my country are chosen it's because they are superior
>when restaurants in other countries are chosen it's a vast conspiracy, rigged, bribed, fake.

Makes sense.
>>
It's really pointless recommending specific restaurants to someone when there are SO MANY great local, family owned places. People are either going to recommend you chains, they're going to recommend Michelin star restaurants (in which case you didn't need to consult with us to know it was good), or people are goijg to recommend the local places they went to, which is pointless because it would make more sense for you to just find a similar place closer to where you end up staying.

I wouldn't say that EVERY SINGLE local joint is top tier, but really, a lot are. If you talk to some Japanese people, you can get a sense of which places you should try first.
>>
>>8765264
>>8764823

Great, thanks a lot
>>
>>8763471
Hey, OP. If you're interested in getting high in Japan, respond to this post. I'm in Osaka. Higashiyodogawa-ku here.
>>
>>8765886
Are you a grill
And I'm travelling with my family
And it's still in June
>>
Christ why is Japan literally so much better than everyone else?

I know people are just going to call me a weeb but everything there is fucking great. Even their criminals are more respectable than the average shithead in the West. Jesus where did white people go wrong?
>>
>>8766099
japan's secret ingredient seems to be brutal social darwinism in all aspects of life
>>
>>8766106
It works. The scum of society stay isolated in their own homes and never ruin the rest of the country. Whereas in the West retards seem to think they are equal and won't admit to being subhuman. Honestly the subhumans in Japan are grateful to just be alive but the same can't be said for the West.
>>
>>8763471
Try the sushi
>>
>>8764703
ah yes this phonetic translation of a word that is written using entirely different characters clearly has to be a k and not a hard c.
>>
>>8766119
Japan's homeless are more skilled and educated than a lot of non-homeless in the West. It's so damn weird.
>>
>>8765264
Damn, I hate weebs.
>>
>>8766140
Correct spelling is Comvini
>>
>>8766106

You mean they accept the reality of inequality? Oh no, how dreadful.
>>
>>8766158
That's so weirdly true. They are Bukowski-esque because they speak intelligently, not like a crazed NY subway vent sleeper. They even keep themselves relatively clean.
>>
Eat Everything.

Do no bitch out.

Try Japanese Curry, Omu-Rice, Udon, Teppanyaki, Ramen, everything you can get in family mart. Go to a Sushi Go Round too obviously.

I miss living in Okinawa.
>>
Ikizukuri. You know you want to.
>>
>>8765886
I'll be in Osaka this summer. Pls b in nanba
>>
File: 1342767949133.jpg (40KB, 560x581px) Image search: [Google]
1342767949133.jpg
40KB, 560x581px
>>8763471
>>8764853
>>8764830
>>8766163
>sup /ck/, I'm going to go to Japan
>looking for some advice from other people who went to Japan
>BUT NO ONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS BEEN TO JAPAN AND LIKED YOUR TRIP THERE MAY RESPOND TO ME, U FUKKIN WEEBS!!!
>>
File: IMGP2157.jpg (275KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2157.jpg
275KB, 1500x1000px
>>8764400
>Nobody here has a passport

Some of us have actually lived in Japan.

>>8763513
>>8763821
>>8764367
>>8764664
>>8764806
>>8764830
>>8764853
>>8766163

And the reason we're giving you the same kind of advice, to not worry about specific recommendations and to basically just check out anything, is because that's good advice. It's also really all we can give you when all you're willing to tell us about your trip is,
>Gonna be based in Osaka and Tokyo.
Those happen to be the two largest metro areas in the country. It would be pointless to recommend a restaurant in Asakusa, for example, if you're going to be staying in Shinjuku. Just find a restaurant in Shinjuku. There are more good ones there than you'll be able to visit on your trip. ....Or rather, apply that situation to any given area. Unless you want to give specifics, and even then you're probably not going to get much advice here, that's what's going through our minds when we read your post. You're not even telling us your background or what you're expecting out of these restaurants.

If you are specifically looking for restaurants with English menus, English speaking ownership, or if you're looking for a Michelin star restaurant, then buy a fucking guide book. The people here who have been to Japan, myself included, mostly (yes, I'm projecting here) relied on the advice of friends, word of mouth or gut feeling, in choosing where to eat. I can tell you that out of all the times I ate out while living in Japan, there wasn't a single time - outside of convenience store food - when I got something that tasted legitimately bad or low quality, and that includes all the fast food chains, bento carry out places, gyudon chains and kaiten sushi places I went to.
>>
>>8767014
How did you get this visa?
>>
>>8767027

I was hired to work in Japan. You need to visa to work there legally.
>>
>>8763471
If you can find somewhere without an hour queue, Ichiran ramen was pretty good
>>
>>8767039
*the visa
Derp.
>>
>>8767039
So you get a job offer first, and then bring proof of that to, like, a Japanese consulate in your local city?
It says it was issued in Denver, so I'm just curious
>>
>>8767200
My job was through the JET Program, so I was working with people in the consulate the whole time. I'm not 100% familiar with all of the details of the process outside of the fact that I did get that work visa from the consulate and then once I arrived in the area where I was to live, I had to go to the prefectural immigration office to get my re-entry permit. This was almost 6 years ago, so some details are a little fuzzy.
>>
>>8763907
Are you serious? Going from British-Indian to Japanese curry is by all means a complete and utter downgrade.

Why don't you just type that you prefer Japanese cuisine and there's not much good restaurants serving such things outside of london instead of going full weeb?
>>
>>8767251
A lot of people prefer eastern Asian curries. Less so for Japanese, but in my opinion Thai has the best curries.
>>
>>8767251
It's not a downgrade. They are completely different categories of food. Indian or Thai curries comprise a hearty meal. Japanese curry is more like junk food. There's a place for both. Evidence for this can be found in the fact that Japanese people fucking love Indian curry. Even in the "small" town of about 85,000 people that I lived in, there was a popular Indian curry restaurant with an actual Indian man as the owner.
>>
>>8764367
traveling is for liberal racetraitor cucks who hate their heritage.
>>
>>8767466
Is your sister out on a date tonight, Cletus?
>>
>>8767614
Has your kawaii mail order chink bride arrived yet, Todd?
>>
Go to Akasaka Tan-tai in Tokyo for lunch. It's 1 Michelin star but the lunch is like $35. Best miso soup I've ever had. Also, Osaka is known for their Takoyaki. It's a street food so buy it from a street vendor
>>
>>8767014

As somebody who has lived in Okinawa, I can definitely say that living in Okinawa is much better than living in the mainland as a foreigner.

Would you agree or disagree as a man who has lived in the mainland?
>>
>>8767623
Isn't a Russian stereotype?
>>
>>8768107
How could I compare? I never lived in Okinawa. All I can say is that it was easy to travel farther distances around the country by using the train, instead of having to buy a plane ticket for living on a small island.
>>
>>8767728
>It's 1 Michelin star but the lunch is like $35.
This. Totally this. Try the lunch set in fancier restaurant. They are affordable. Probably need reservation though.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.