[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is fasting a meme? I may try it just for the sheer test

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1343742495_fasting1.png (82KB, 1856x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1343742495_fasting1.png
82KB, 1856x1584px
Is fasting a meme? I may try it just for the sheer test of my willpower.
>>
Fasting is pants-on-head retarded
>>
>>8762102
No, it's self control. You dont need to eat that much anyway.
>>
>>8762102
>>8762183
Fasting is medically beneficial for you from time to time. Turns out that you don't need to (and really shouldn't) eat 3 big meals every day.
>>
>>8762183
Your visceral fat levels go down after 12 hours of fasting. This means your organs can become healthier if you have any fat surrounding them. Many skinny people who eat a lot likely have fat deposits around their organs. I'd probably do this once every three months.
>>
>>8762102
It's a meme.

There are multiple flaws with all the studies that showed fasting or >30% reduction in calorie intake results in longer life.

Of course, you should never over eat, but "fasting makes you live longer" fad is grounded on some very shaky "science."
>>
>>8762199
That sounds like bullshit but I don't know enough about medicine to contradict you.
>>
>>8762203
Fasting can reverse diabetes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/02/is-fasting-a-free-health-fix-or-just-a-fad-dieting-science-ketagenic-michael-mosley-diabetes-ms
>>
I don't know or care if the health benefits are real. The studies showing an increase in HGH seem reasonable

What it does definitely do is work as a crutch for losing weight. It's a lot easier to stay sub-2000 calories if you don't eat until 5pm. Of course it's not necessary, but it might be useful for you.
>>
File: IntermittentFasting.png (180KB, 647x847px) Image search: [Google]
IntermittentFasting.png
180KB, 647x847px
>>8762102
You need to eat foods with virtually no calories, or no calories at all as your fasting [like hot water or a tonic] so your metabolism stays high
>>
>>8762231
I'm talking about healthy people, not diabetics.

Benefits of fasting in very specific populations (some cancer patients, diabetics, some autoimmune disorder patients) are quite solidly established.

Benefits of fasting for general population are suspect.
>>
>>8762242
I doubt occasional fasting is going to have much effect long-term on your metabolism. It will go down with age though.
>>
>>8762288
>>8762244
>>8762223
>>8762183

Honest, genuine question.

Are you anons contrarian for the sake of it? It's been repeatedly proven by many studies that intermittent fasting has health benefits. It's literally undeniable.

Like do you intentionally go against just for fun or that you like arguing? I want to know
>>
>>8762303
Most of those studies were "observational studies" (i.e. they didn't collect enough data or follow other aspects of the study participants' health to rule out other factors).
>>
Fasting isn't a meme. We evolved for feast and famine, not "eat 2000 calories a day for your entire life".

Fasting isn't popular because there is no money to be made selling it.
>>
>>8762303
I'm just genuinely ignorant on the subject/too lazy to research it.
>>
I typically eat around 500-700 calories a day and about 10k on Saturdays. I enjoy binge eating and don't seem to have any problem controlling my hunger throughout the week so this works for me.
>>
>>8762102
You should try it it's kinda fun. It gets sort of addicting after a while, cause it's like gotta beat my high score lol. Longest I did was 16 days straight water fast.

Also it's good for you all sorts of health benefits like autophagy and somewhat cancer and heart disease preventative shit maybe.
>>
>>8762809
>You should try it it's kinda fun. It gets sort of addicting after a while, cause it's like gotta beat my high score lol
I've gotten this way about not jacking off. The results are fucking rad
>>
>>8762244

read that article. it will tell you why you are wrong.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.