[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying wine making for the first time. I'm fermenting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1153.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1153.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I'm trying wine making for the first time. I'm fermenting a juice mix of apple, grape, and blackberry in the bottle with winemaker's yeast. It's been a few days and it's bubbling a lot, but this weird coagulated mass formed at the top on day 1 and now it smells kind of vinegary on day 5. Did I fuck up?
>>
Nah Man. Mix it and you will be fine
>>
>>8755252
Did you sterilise everything ?
>>
>vinegary

Acetobacter needs alcoholic substrate and oxygen to grow. If you have low alcohol content and sealed the liquid then you may have lactobacilus but not acetobacter.

Next time boil water and use it to sterilize the bottle first.

The coagulated mass is because you didn't using a filtration process. Mix it in the wine to get a cloudy beverage.
cloud >>>>> clear beverage
Don't know why people waste time making the fermented worse by filtrating it.
>>
>>8755252
That stuff at the top just looks like fruit particles. If you sanitized, I wouldn't worry about the vinegar smell. I've had mine smell vinegary during fermentation and turn out fine. If you didn't sanitize, you'll just have a unique wine vinegar for salad dressings. Or you'll just hold your nose and drink it anyway.
>>
File: yellow.jpg (285KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
yellow.jpg
285KB, 960x1280px
>>8755252
it can smell weird at first, you can taste some to see if it tastes like booze or vinegar. but your little mass may be krausen, which is a mat of floating yeast that can usually keep air out so you don't get vinegar. alternatively, could be like a kombucha scoby and it is in fact making vinegar, but it usually has to convert to alchohol first to become vinegar anyways

it's always fun to see what color my krausen comes out to.. excuse my messy desk haha. this was pineapple melomel i was doing. my grapefruit turned pink, apple cider is usually brown, and cranberry raspberry is next. hoping that turns into a hot pink or something cool
>>
File: IMG_1141.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1141.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>8755260
>>8755283
>>8755291
I washed everything the ingredients made contact with in hot soapy water first, rinsing with more hot water. Not boiling though. I poured 1/4 of the juice into a jug, added two cups of white sugar, topped it back off with the juice I poured off, then shook it and added the yeast. I posted work in progress pics to a homebrewing thread that isn't in the archive anymore. Here's one of those pics. Makes sense that it's fruit particles, the bottle lists blackberry purée as an ingredient.
>>
>>8755317
In the future, either boil all your equipment including bottles or better yet use a 10% bleach and water soak and rinse well. Even easier, buy some Starsan and soak and you don't even have to rinse. But you have to do one of those 3 or you really risk wild yeast and bacteria contamination. It won't make you sick, but it won't taste very good.
>>
>>8755387
starsan is so easy. worth the money. i love keeping it in a sealed jar and reusing it later. it doesn't lose potency for like a few weeks iirc and even if you get some residue in your brew it doesnt seem to cause any ill effects
>>
Home brew threads are the only reason I come here anymore.
Refreshingly retard free.
>>
>>8755400
they have really good ones on /diy/ too, and are a little less slow than they are here. people say they're not /ck/ related but i think it is kinda intersectional.
>>
>>8755387
Will do. I thought I could skip sanitizing the bottle since it's the one the juice came in and it's pasturized, plus I never totally emptied it.
>>
>>8755424
nah, you're right. you can skip sanitizing a bottle that came to you pastuerized and clean. sugar is relatively sterile too but you could pour some liquid out and pastuerize it with the sugar and add it back in, wait for it to cool a bit... warm helps the yeast grow too. i think your brew is probably totally fine.
>>
>>8755439
Sweet, thanks for the advice.
>>
Since my question got answered, general homebrewing thread?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.