[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I'd like to make a bread with lots of vegetables in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Guys, I'd like to make a bread with lots of vegetables in it. Couple of questions:
1. What kind of vegetables would go well in a bread? Can't really think of anything besides onions, olives and tomatoes. Also, would Feta go well in that or would that turn out shitty if baking for so long?
2. Is there any way I could substitute the flour with some kind of vegetable? At least partially?
3. Do you guys have any ideas for low calorie bread?

Cheers!

Picture semi related
>>
You could buy some potato flour.
>>
>>8735289
There are stuffed breads like piroshki, and then there is the feta rich versions of Spanokopita

Otherwise, I'd just make some delicious veggie cream cheese or liptauer kind of spread, or hit it with some oily marinated veggies on a little base of a little cheese to serve it.
>>
>>8735289
>3. Do you guys have any ideas for low calorie bread?
Oh wait, is your idea to lower the overall calories of bread? That's not going to happen.
>>
>>8735292
Noted

>>8735295
>piroshki
>spanokopita
Gonna have to look that up

>>8735301
My initial idea was just a bread with some nice veggies in it to make it moist and have a nice flavour and look.
Then I thought "Maybe there is something I could use instead of flour"
Now I can't let go of the idea of low calorie bread.
Maybe if you worked with egg or something.
>>
1. Less is more. That's pretty much the list of things I can think of that would go well in there. As for feta, I think it would be either too overpowering, or just burn or create bad texture.

2. The only think I can think of is sorghum.

3. Not really man, sorry. The more nutrient-dense your bread is, the more, well, dense the bread is as well as higher calorie. White & enriched flour is lower in calories per weight (its fluffy) but has literally zero nutritional value. Gluten-free options tend to be slightly denser too to compensate for their lack of rising. The only thing I can suggest is to slice your bread thin.
>>
File: meatbread3.jpg (639KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
meatbread3.jpg
639KB, 1632x1224px
>>8735289
add some meat
>>
do not do that. bake regular bread and put veggies on it, like a normal person.
>>
Eggplant goes great in bread.
>>
>>8735311
>Now I can't let go of the idea of low calorie bread.
Bread gets lighter with more air, and some indigestible wood pulp, basically fiber that doesn't carry calories. It's a trick of the eye. That sold 40 cal per slice bread is fluffed air or thin slices. It's a trick to think you have a sandwich with half the bread calories. It's not going to happen that you can lighten it up. Using chickpea or bean flours, or anything else you can think of, is actually only worse than wheat flour.

The things that make veggies low calorie? Water. Water content in some veggies are why they are nothing to eat.. Can you think about watery bread? No, you can't. Grains are pretty calorie rich. It's the one thing that zings most diets. A single slice of pizza is like half of your days calories. A sandwich, same thing. Bread is a dieting curse!!
>>
>>8735289
red pepper would be good I think, maybe mushrooms but I'd say definitely cook mushrooms down first before you do that, because they release a lot of liquid.

I don't think feta would be a good idea to incorporate in the bread.

You can try to use almond or coconut flour and flaxseed meal in place of flour but that takes some conversions so if you're new to bread, don't try something like that. Potato flour would be another idea.
>>
>>8735390
>A single slice of pizza is like half of your days calories. A sandwich, same thing
Are you 3ft tall, don't do any sports and weigh 60 pounds?
An entire pizza has like 1000kcal, one sandwich like 300-400 depending what's on it
>>
>>8735610
>An entire pizza has like 1000kcal, one sandwich like 300-400 depending what's on it
a single slice of pizzeria quality pepperoni-sausage can be upwards of 700cals
>>
>>8735631
maybe in america
Over here in Europe where we have actual pizza, an entire pizza is not more than 1200kcal
>>
>>8735289
Cheese. Cheese goes very well with bread. And summer sausage!
>>
>>8735289
1. You hit all the major vegetable adjuncts, but you can get creative. Carrots, sweet potatoes, cauliflower (pickled or otherwise), all kinds of herbs, artichoke hearts, and peppers all go great in bread. It usually helps if they're preserved in some sort of brine solution first, but it's not essential.

Feta can go in bread, but I wouldn't do veggies AND a cheese in one bread. Crusty breads with open crumb, like Ciabatta or Pugliese work well for this.
2. You can substitute up to 30% of the weight of flour with mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or any other starchy vegetable. If you're substituting 30% of the flour for veggies you need to cut out 20% of the water weight accordingly. Use bread flour for the remainder or add 1-2% vital wheat gluten.

You could also use a flour made from nuts or seeds, like chia or hemp. You need to use less traditional flour, and either use bread flour in place of all-purpose or add 1-2% of the total flour weight of vital wheat gluten.

3. Probably shouldn't be eating bread if you're watching carbs. There is really no way around this.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.