[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What fills you up more for longer and gives you longer lasting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: carbs-vs-protein-copy.jpg (103KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
carbs-vs-protein-copy.jpg
103KB, 493x335px
What fills you up more for longer and gives you longer lasting energy, protein or carbs?
>>
that's really two different questions
>>
>>8721859
Let the thread.... commence.
>>
>>8721851
Protein fills you up more, but there are carbs that are very very satiating (steel cut oats for example). Protein isn't really an energy source though, carbs are.
>>
http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
>>
>>8721875
>Protein isn't really an energy source though, carbs are.

Both contain exactly the same amount of energy, 4 calories per gram.
>>
>>8722394
Sure, if you're using them for fuel in a calorimeter, but do they provide the same amount of energy when processed by a human?

I mean, they might, the combustion that goes on in your cells is actually pretty similar to just burning a pile of wood.
>>
>>8722406
>but do they provide the same amount of energy when processed by a human?

Yes, that's where the numbers I quoted came from. In case you aren't aware (which it seems you are not), the numbers for food energy per unit mass are called "Atwater factors", after the name of the scientist who measured them. They are not based on a calorimeter measurement, but rather by how much energy the human body extracts from them.

Protein and Carbs are both 4 cals/gram. Alcohol (ethanol) is 7, and fat is 9.
>>
>>8721851
Unless you're inducing ketosis you should eat both
For what it's worth, fat and protein seem to stave off hunger much longer than pure carbs, but I eat a mixture of all three because I fucking need some blood glucose.
>>
>>8721851
why exclude fat? it's the best source of energy and most filling unless maybe you need to sprint away from a tiger a few times a day.
>>
>>8721851
Your body uses carbs first as a energy source so unless you are going to completely cut out carbs out of your diet there is no point eating lots of protein. If you want to feel full longer then go for whole-grain and that kind of stuff
>>
>>8722416
>counting calories for protein
>not knowing calories is computed by burning things and that your body is unlikely to ever consume protein for energy when the others are available.
back to school with you and your teen magazine science.
>>
>>8722598
Lol, that's exactly why we have Atwater factors.

If you just burned things you'd end up with much much higher than 4 calories/gram for protein. The Atwater factor accounts for the fact that the body prefers other nutrients. That's the whole fucking point of Atwater factors. If we just burned things in a calorimeter that measurement wouldn't take into acccount how the human body processes things.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.