[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crock pot vs Dutch oven Why use a dutch oven? I know there has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1259394266175.jpg (37KB, 585x307px) Image search: [Google]
1259394266175.jpg
37KB, 585x307px
Crock pot vs Dutch oven

Why use a dutch oven? I know there has to be a reason why it's better and I want to be less of a pleb
>>
What's wrong with owning both?
>>
>>8720243
What do you use dutch oven for though?
>>
A cast iron dutch oven is one of the GOAT tier pieces of kit you can own.

One of the most important aspects of building flavor in your meals is caramelizing your ingredients, and a cast iron dutch oven allows you to do that better than damn near everything while giving you a huge volume to work with, and then you can add a broth and slowly simmer that bitch on a range, in a fire, or in an oven.

Jambalaya's, gumbo's, stir fry meals, corn bread, roasts, you can do all kinds of kick ass cooking in a cheapy lodge cast iron dutch oven.
>>
Crock pots are for babies.
>>
>>8720233
You can cook things in the stove or on the range while achieving temperatures high enough to brown and low enough to break down tough cuts.
>>
>>8720260
I'll have to admit that Dutch ovens definitely allow for better caramelization, but crock pots are more convenient. You could sear your ingredients in a pan first, but that would make the convenience angle kind of moot.
>>
>>8720260

Mmmmmm sounds fuckin delicious.
>>
>>8720270
a pan is fucktons easier to clean, so there's that. i sear stuff before slowcooking it unless it's frozen
>>
>>8720233
>dutch oven
>wanting to fart on your food
>>>/d/
>>
File: 1472092966008.png (34KB, 292x294px) Image search: [Google]
1472092966008.png
34KB, 292x294px
>>8720233
deep frying bro
>>
>>8721679

that's what a deep fryer is for.
>>
>>8721681
or a dutch oven
>>
>>8721687
Deep fryer is far superior. It has only one use so you can just leave the oil in it. If you use your dutch oven then you have to store your oil elsewhere when you want to use the dutch oven for another purpose.

The deep fryer contains a thermostat that will keep the oil at the proper temperature far more accurately than you can using a manual thermometer, and it's automatic so it requires no effort on your part.
>>
>>8721695
call me crazy but I don't find the idea of leaving a deep fryer full of oil indefinitely sitting on my counter appealing... or having to clutter up my kitchen with newfangled contraptions when conventional cookware can get the job done just as good and usually better
>>
I use both.
Dutch oven is for when I have an entire Sunday to myself and I just want to sit at home and take my time searing, sauteing, brazing the fuck out of some tasty dish, if I had friends I'd invite them over for this sort of event.

Slow cooker is for when I know I've got a shit day of work in front of me or I'm gonna go get drunk and when I'm done I just want to go home and eat and go to bed.

Convenience of a slow cooker is pretty great.
>>
>>8721699

So put it in a cabinet instead.

And I just explained how the deep fryer produces superior temperature control than the old fashioned method.

Now in general, I'm with you. A lot of new shit is often worse than the old method. But this is not one of those cases.
>>
>>8721711
I don't want a greasy ass deep fryer full of oil with wires tangled up in my cabinet either
>>
>>8721714

Nobody's perfect, anon.
>>
>>8721714
>doesn't want a fryer in a cabinet
>ok with a greasy pot that is never fully cleaned

not op but you clearly only have opinions
>>
>>8721711
The oil stinks out the whole kitchen even after one or two uses, I threw my deep fryer out and now just use a large saucepan and a cheap thermometer on a gas stove.

Fuck that smelly $20 target brand electric piece of shit taking up bench space.
>>
>>8721720
why are you not cleaning your pots you vietnam fucking shit
>>
>>8721720

Properly seasoned cast iron should never be greasy.

This misunderstanding seems to stem from idiots who never manage to season properly, and instead keep their pan oily to prevent rust. That's just ineptitude, not a fact of life with CI.

>>8721721
>Fuck that smelly $20 target brand electric piece of shit

I agree. Decent appliances simply aren't available at target, wal-mart, etc. Plan on spending a couple hundred if you want a nice deep fryer.
>>
>>8721724
This

Wait for oil to cool then strain it through a seive, or if you're anal about it a coffee filter. Place it in a plastic container for later then wash your pot.

Much better than having a stinky greasy bench hogging piece of Chinese electric shit hanging around 24x7
>>
>>8721728
Why would I spend a couple of hundred dollars on a heating element, thermostat a stainless steel basket and container that holds oil when I can just use a $10 stock pot on the gas stove that doesn't stink up my kitchen when I'm not using it?

If you deep fry daily then it might make sense to buy a deep fryer but if you are doing that to begin with you're a fat slob with no sense who will probably die soon anyway
>>
I remember when my mother left me at home alone while she went on a 3 month holiday to Europe. The day before she left she put the deep fryer on the kitchen bench full of oil and stocked the freezer full of frozen seafood and battered shit we could just fry whenever we wanted.

We pretty much trashed the house for 3 months and my sister came over the day before mum got back home and had to clean the entire house.
>>
>>8721736
>when I can just use a $10 stock pot on the gas stove that doesn't stink up my kitchen when I'm not using it?

Because a couple hundred bucks for an appliance you can use for decades isn't a bad deal at all.

Combine that with the fact that a proper deep fryer has much better temperature control than you could ever expect to have with a pot on the stove and it's a no-brainer.

As for the smell, that's not a concern at all. Fryers have lids.
>>
>>8722058
I have a pretty high quality deep fryer. I regret buying it just because it takes up a lot of space. I also don't fry food regularly enough for me to justify having it, I'd say for the average person a dedicated fryer is a waste
>>
Just looked in my pantry at what I was bought, it's a ceramic enameled cast iron dutch oven. Anything I need to worry about with this cheap thing?
>>
>>8724030
Be careful with metal utensils, enamel can chip.
>>
>>8722659
I'd say it comes down to how often you're cooking and what your cooking skill level is.

Of course you don't want to eat a full-on fried meal like fish & chips every single day. But a fryer has tons of less obvious uses.

Making a soup or a salad? Deep fry some herb leaves (no batter) to put on top as a visually attractive and tasty garnish. The crunchy texture goes great with soup or vegetables in a salad.

Making a stir-fry? Or a soup? A traditional chinese technique is to lightly deep-fry the meat, tofu, or fish first (no batter) for the best texture in a stir-fry and to help the ingredients keep their shape in a soup.

Got leftover vegetables or potatoes? Make croquettes, home fries, or fritters easier and faster than using a pan.

Making an omelet or frittata with potatoes in it? Deep fry the spuds for a better texture and a faster cooking time than cooking them in the pan.

Making a stew? The deep fryer will brown your meat cubes faster and with less effort than doing that in your stew pot.
>>
>>8720233
no one's mentioned bread. Dutch oven is essential for good bread
>>
Only thing crock pot has on a Dutch oven is covenience. Even then, to make food crock pot food you need to brown your meat beforehand and dirty another pot. Personally I don't really like crock pot stews since every vegetable ends up the same mushy texture and water condenses on the lid and falls back in so half the time you need to reduce the stew on the stovetop and dirty another pot. I think if you wanna make convenient soups, just get a pressure cooker. It's more expensive up front but you get much better food for about the same level of convenience.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.