[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an idiot, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: quick.png (206KB, 660x154px) Image search: [Google]
quick.png
206KB, 660x154px
I'm an idiot, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Why are carnivore/predator animals almost never used as a food source? Is it simply due to them being harder/less profitable to raise on a farm, or is it also something about the meat itself that makes it less desirable as food?
>>
carnivores are lean
>>
>>8719647
Because you can't grow their food in the dirt.
>>
>>8719664
This. Raising meat to harvest other meat? Why not just eat the meat you raise... That being said, that's what hunting is all about. Not always predators, but sometimes wild pigs or boars, snakes, crocs, etc. shit like that is pretty common in some areas stateside.
>>
What is a fish?
>>
Harder to commercially farm
Much more lean

also certain types are dangerous to eat
>>
>>8719647
Harder to raise in captivity, requires expensive feed (i.e., meat), and perhaps most importantly predators can have lots of parasites in them.

This is why you have to cook pork thoroughly -- it can have trichinosis parasites in it.
>>
Biomagnification of heavy metals.
>>
>>8720192
Yeah. Mercury poisoning is more common at higher tropic levels
>>
Also, a lot of carnivores are bred in captivity, just not for meat, usually fur or leather and whatever esoteric products they can extract from the carcass after those are gone (the supply chains run all over the place).

It's not that hard to raise carnivores on scraps. America's two most popular carnivores survive on scraps and grain kibble typically.
>>
>>8719691
&
>>8720192
Carnivores are expensive and difficult to maintain and just like with Tuna and mercury, the higher up you are in the food chain the more shit you're filled with.
>>
>>8720177
Depends on your definition of thoroughly, trichinosis dies at a temperature of 137 degrees Fahrenheit, pull that shit off the stove or out of the oven at 135 degrees and let it rest, and you'll have a perfectly safe and exquisitely juicy pork chop.
>>
File: 1488792179921.jpg (298KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1488792179921.jpg
298KB, 1200x675px
>>8719647
>>
>>8720226
But with those products, taste isn't an issue, so it doesn't really matter what they get fed as long as they live long enough to be harvested. Also, those products can be sold at a much higher markups because they're non-essential, which covers the cost of feed.
>>
>>8720651
Or you could just not live in a third world shithole where pigs still eat garbage
>>
>>8719647
Ever heard of trophic levels and energy transfer
>>
>>8720718
Who is this? Can someone give me a basic gestalt?
>>
>>8722268
kill yourself
>>
>>8722268

Reverse image search should give you all the info you need to know.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.