[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody make their own probiotic foods? Ive been wanting to include

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sauerkraut.jpg (77KB, 250x301px) Image search: [Google]
sauerkraut.jpg
77KB, 250x301px
Anybody make their own probiotic foods? Ive been wanting to include more in my diet but all the store bought food that should be probiotic are pasteurized to fuck because america is terrified of any sort of germs.pic related im going to make sauerkraut soon, any tips?
>>
>>8700252
Winter Squash?
>>
>>8700252
Always wanted to make my own kim chi, and gochujang, just no clay pot, patience, or heat up hear in Canadia
>>
>>8700252
i want to do some kraut or kimchi soon as well. i agree, it is lame that all the premade stuff tends to be blasted with heat. it's such a hassle to find the good stuff that i think it would be a really good thing to learn how to do.

lately i've been making lots of mung bean sprouts in recyclable containers which is a lot of fun too.
>>
>>8700305
Mason jar, nigger.

I make yogurt every week, and do kraut runs every so often. Kim-chi isn't my gig, though.
>>
>>8700252
Shredded and salted cabbage wants to be sauerkraut. Pay attention to cleanliness, keep the solids below the surface of the liquid, and keep the temp in the mid to high 60's F and it'll come out edible. Once you have that down, then get crazy. Chunks of daikon radish, carrots, small whole onions, and even crab-apples have all wound up in the mix. We also usually put a small amount of red pepper flakes and caraway seed in ours now, but that came from trial and error.
>>
I make two gallons of kombucha every 3-4 weeks. It's easy and cheap.

Got a dozen 16oz bottles with reusable swing tops and a stainless steel funnel off amazon.

To start, you need a scoby. I think you can get them online... mine came from a store called "preserved" in Oakland. Basically you make some black tea, add plenty of sugar, then toss in the scoby. Put a cloth over the top of the jar to prevent stuff from getting in and keep it out of the light. I just leave it on the counter top with a dark dish towel around the glass. You can smell it when it starts to get there. Basically you taste it every couple of days and when it gets to the sourness you're looking for, pour it in bottles. Keep one bottles worth and the scoby to start the next batch going.

It's much cheaper than the store bought variety. Very little investment required, and it's easy to keep up.
>>
>>8700305
>Gochujang

We made some using Maangchi's recipe. She has a good video on the process. We haven't tried it yet because it's still aging, but it smells really good.
>>
>>8700585
I want to make this, but haven't people died from home made unpasteurised stuff because of toxic bacteria ?
>>
>>8701143
yeah kombucha is fucking dangerous
>>
>>8701143

Maybe. But it's so rare why worry about?

>>I want to ride in a car, but haven't people died in car wrecks?

>>I want to use electrical devices. but haven't people died from electric shock?

>>I want to go online. But haven't people been hacked?
>>
>>8701153
I dunno, I worry that the bad bacteria might be winning the war in the jar unbeknown to me. I still eat my homemade greek yoghurt and it smells and tastes great (we have high protein 6% milk here) and just have a swig of vodka straight after - can never be too russian.
>>
>>8701143
Probiotics are a living culture. Start with a clean vessel and keep the area around it clean, the lactobacillus bacteria will make sure to keep their environment healthy.

>>8701163
Why would you chase bacteria with alcohol? Won't that kill off the probiotics you're trying to ingest?
>>
wish amazon sold kimchi
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.