[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any value in cooking classes? I don't intend to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 2345235345.jpg (143KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
2345235345.jpg
143KB, 640x406px
Is there any value in cooking classes? I don't intend to ever get a job in a restaurant, but it sounds like a good way to change my hikikomori ways and I want to get better at cooking.
>>
>>8625398
If you literally don't know shit, it's a good place to start
>>
>>8625402
I can follow recipes, but there are days when I have no idea what to cook with what I have in my fridge. Is it a good way to learn what you can do if all you have is some chicken and spices?
>>
>>8625433
How about using the internet in times of need?
>>
>>8625646
Like I said, a big reason for it is to have something to do aside from lock myself in my room after work every day. So far all my skills and recipes were already learned on the internet.
>>
>>8625433
look at different foods, pick things you like and look up how to make them, then go and buy the things you need

there's no need to interact with anyone
>>
>>8625654
honestly if you need to get out of your house, yes, do it! you will learn an ability and also have a reason to go out. it'll be good socialization, if not with the strangers also taking the class than at least the person teaching you. you'll have materials and a place to cook so you don't have to worry about cleanup or fuckups, so yeah, for your situation i think it's an excellent idea.

i've been thinking the same shit about sewing classes, it'd be a valuable skill to learn and it would get me off of my computer. do it, anon!
>>
>>8625398

eh just watch food network and practice. I'm more skilled a cook than anyone in my social circle and that came just from watching cooking shows and making myself dinner.
>>
>>8625433
Not really. That mostly comes with experience.

It will get you out of the house and let you meet girls, though.
>>
Just don't get suckered into a full-blown "cooking program". The schools are outrageously expensive and the end result is that you get a certificate which can be used to wipe your ass if you run out of toilet paper.
>>
beginner tier: learn to bake bread, make soups, cooks scrambled eggs, make a grilled cheese

intermediate tier: learn to cook foods you like by planning out your ingredients and experimenting with recipes. Fine tune steaks, fried foods, stuffed peppers, basic cookies and cakes, entrees with sides

advance tier: learn to cook stuff you normally wouldn't eat, or food for potential 'customers.' vegetable based dishes, pastries, cordonbleu, smoked foods, reductions and consumes

master artisan chef tier: call other people donkeys and add olive oil to fucking everything
>>
>>8625662
Yeah, I'm just looking for like a month long course. It's surprisingly difficult to find anything and the community college's class already started last month. I also don't know shit about the college application process. It's so tedious and it's honestly making me feel retarded.

I'm looking for stuff in the Los Angeles area if anyone knows any good courses.
>>
>>8625683
dunno if it's an option but these folks look legit as hell
http://cheftechcookingschool.com/
>>
I'm not sure why you need classes when there are five thousand TV shows and YouTube lessons. Other than it might be fun and you could hook up with someone new.
Everything I needed to know came from Alton Brown/Good Eats, America's Test Kitchen, Martha Stewart's Cooking School, and Chef John from Food Wishes.
But then again I'm just a casual home & hobby cook, I dont want a job in food prep.
>>
>>8625720
Like I said, I'm looking for ways to get out of the house.
>>
>>8625398
I did a mexican cooking class and it was a good investment. However, the only other courses the cooking school does that look like they could teach me anything are the molecular gstronomy ones.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.