[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be ice cream making noob >try recipe from internet >says

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 20091207-raweggs.jpg (14KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
20091207-raweggs.jpg
14KB, 500x366px
>be ice cream making noob
>try recipe from internet
>says to mix beaten eggs, half-and-half, heavy cream, and sugar into pot, lightly heat on stove
>follow instructions
>egg yolks mix decently
>egg whites are mostly separated, some collected at bottom, some scrambled

Did I fuck up?
Will I get salmonella if I eat it?
>>
>>8614766
>some scrambled

You heated too much and mixed too little.
>>
>>8614766
You curdeled the cream
>>
>>8614766
>ice cream
>heat on stove

should have noticed the recipe was full of shit, you got duped
>>
Do you have to use an ice cream machine to make ice cream?
t. ice cream noob
>>
you will not get salmonella from raw eggs
>>
>>8614941
Sadly I think so.

Also ice cream noob.
>>
>>8614826
>>8614819
fug

sh-should i eat it anyways?
>>
>>8615016
It'll have shit taste and texture. Make a new batch, use a bain marie or something to heat slowly and without hot spots;
And start mixing in a bowl without heat.
>>
how hot does it have to get? use a double boiler
>>
>>8615069
>It'll have shit taste and texture.
I won't get sick though, right? I made it and god dammit I want to eat it, I don't care how bad it is.
>>
>>8615139
You will not get sick from raw eggs.
Raw eggs don't give you salmonella.
You can crack open an egg and eat it raw with no issues.
It's raw chicken that gives you salmonella.
>>
>>8615201
In Yurop yes, in 'Murica eggs are washed from their natural protective layer (aka dried hen pussy juices) and can contain salmonella. They shouldn't, but that'd be assuming they respected precise temperature of egg and water, and that's often a problem.

If you are not a infant, an elderly, pregnant or with a weakened immune system it should be OK. It can make you sick but not kill you (assuming you have access to a hospital.)
>>
>>8616065
>assuming you have access to a hospital
not for free they don't. OBSESSED.

Anyways, op, do it in a bowl over boiling water, not directly heating on a stove, and NEVER STOP MIXING. sereously, you don't want clumps and the egg to coagulate evely, mix it all the way.
>>
>>8616065
Why does washing that off cause salmonella?
>>
>>8614766

You can make ice cream by just whipping heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk together with whatever flavors you want and freezing it.

the texture gets a bit flaky over the time, but it's good the first couple of weeks.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/741636/nochurn-ice-cream
>>
>>8616065
Hen's don't have a pussy they have a cloaca, stupid
>>
>>8614766
If you're really scared about getting salmonella from raw eggs, you can pasteurize them. Allow them to come to room temperature, place in single layer on bottom of pan fill with water to cover and slowly heat until temperature reaches 140F. Hold at that temp. for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
>>
>>8614766
You overheated the egg and it cosgulated. Basically you scrambled some of it. Too much heat and not enough mixing will do that. Next time either
A) heat it in a bain marie while mixing constantly, or
B) temper the eggs. Heat the other stuff up separately, beat the eggs in a bowl, then gradually add half the hot liquid while mixing, then pour your warm egg liquid into the pot with the rest and continue to cook.
>>
>>8616703
>B) temper the eggs. Heat the other stuff up separately, beat the eggs in a bowl, then gradually add half the hot liquid while mixing, then pour your warm egg liquid into the pot with the rest and continue to cook.
That's what the instructions said, but I didn't really understand what it meant. What I did instead was beat the eggs in a separate bowl, heat the half-and-half and sugar on the stove, then lowered the heat and mixed in the eggs and heavy cream.
>>
>>8616236
Not making a custard based ice cream :(
>>
>>8614766
I make ice cream frequently (using a churning machine) with similar ingredients. The basic idea is heat cream and sugar together until sugar melts and mixture is reasonably warm (but not scalding hot) then add a third of this mixture at a time to egg YOLKS only while mixing. Then after everything is incorporated together you gently heat it all again until it is about thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Rapidly cool to under 40 and churn.
>>
>>8614941
No you don't need an ice cream machine. You can sort of make your own with a container like a coffee can or plastic bucket. Fill container with a lot of ice chunks and some rock salt. Leave some space so contents can move around a little. Place a cooled ice cream base like the one I described here >>8616939 inside a large plastic bag and seal really well. Place this bag inside your large container filled with ice and rock salt. Seal the whole thing up really tight and shake the shit out of a it for a while (really shake hard and a lot in all different directions). If you got it cold enough and shook it enough it will end up perfectly edible although the texture will not be as smooth as made with a machine. Also most ice cream needs to be "cured" or hardened up a bit in the freezer for a few hours after churning.
>>
>>8614766
Hey OP when I tried this basically the heating/cooking step resulted in something like custard, and I think after that I added it to chilled cream.
My icecream turned out pretty good so maybe give that a go.
>>
>>8616993
Also, while on the heat just stir constantly. And at a fairly brisk pace if it sounds like it's pretty hot. Think I did this for like 15m.

Also to make the icecream I put the mixture in a bowl in another bowl that had ice water in it, and put that in the freezer, stirring every 30-60 mins. Helps if you turn your freezer down (or up? lower the temperature as low as it will go anyway because it takes forever otherwise).
>>
>>8616065
Lies: The post

I've eaten two raw eggs a day for the past year.
>>
Instant read thermometer is your friend OP. Don't take the custard above 170 F or you're going to have some scrambled eggs.
>>
Try these recipes instead: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/ice-cream/
>>
>>8617018
people fucking get sick from raw egg sometimes
you not getting sick isn't proof it doesn't happen, it means you're depraved
>>
>>8617156
keyword: sometimes

you can get sick from anything if it gets contaminated. eggs are not inherently more dangerous than anything else in the west
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.