[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a challenge I have been trying to work with only ingredients

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

As a challenge I have been trying to work with only ingredients from "the new world" as in I can't use anything from afroeurasia. As you can probably tell this makes things difficult.

The thing I need the most is an ingredient which has a flowery or perfume flavor like lavender or rose. Do you know what I could use?

Also finding good green veggies native to the Americas is hard. Everything is either sour/sweet to some degree or is a bitch to plate attractively.
>>
Corn tortillas, Avocados, Turkey, Tomatoes, peppers
>>
>>8613471
For greens: amarinth, nettles, purslane, chickweed, plantain, lambsquarter are not bitter. Dandelion greens when young are not bitter. Both older dandelion and curled dock can be soaked in several changes of water or boiled to reduce bitterness. Young pokeweed is not bitter, but don't fool with the mature plants as they become toxic.
>>
>>8613768
I have actually tried to grow amaranth before by planting some grains I got from the store. It grew but I realized I had no idea if amaranth for greens versus grains were different cultivars or any other growing requirement for tasty greens for that matter. So I opted against trying to eat it.
>>
>>8613841
My guess would be it was the same. It isn't as if Monsanto is trying to develop GMO's for amaranth, or that anyone would think it worthwhile to hybridize. I'm almost certain it was the same species.
>>
>>8613471
Ive never done a diet like this but Ive cooked dishes like this and the hardest part is definetly the meat

Turkey is the only thing you can really make
>>
File: 20170208_141900.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_141900.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>8613841
I also forgot to mention wild asparagus, as well as the fiddlehead fern. The camas root, somewhat similar to potato was a staple of the Nez Perce. Another great root is the jerusalem artichoke (pic related). I just collected a bowl full a few days ago. And don't forget the cattail, arguably the best all around native food source. The nuts and berries are too numerous to mention.
>>
>>8614215
>turkey is the only meat you can make

Are you insane? Rabbit, squirrel, prairie chicken, waterfowl too numerous to mention, venison, elk, bison, raccoon, bear, etc. As far as fish, name one and it's probably native.
>>
>>8614296
How does the Jerusalem artichoke taste is it similar to a potato or more like a carrot or beet?
>>
>>8614312
>As far as fish, name one and it's probably native.
Snakehead.
>>
>>8614312
Are rabbits not introduced?
>>
>>8614312
True, though I think he might have meant it in terms of what you can get at a normal grocery store.
>>
>>8614419
It tastes like a slightly sweeter than a regular potato. I coated that batch with olive oil and roasted in the oven at 400F. I have boiled and mashed them before and they were excellent. One of my favorite native wild foods. Cattails as well. Almost everything of the cattail is edible. Just make sure the water source is not polluted, which sad to say, is going to get harder and harder to find in the coming years.
>>
>>8614484
Good job. I have a snakehead especially for (you).
>>
>>8614557
No. Numerous species, including the cottontail are native.
>>
>>8614557
He said America, not Australia.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.