[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /ck/ have their own homemade pasta sauce recipe? Tips or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: homemade-pasta-sauce.jpg (68KB, 640x404px) Image search: [Google]
homemade-pasta-sauce.jpg
68KB, 640x404px
Does /ck/ have their own homemade pasta sauce recipe? Tips or tricks?

Mine's pretty standard:
Italian sausage or veal
Crushed tomatoes (canned is fine imo saves a lot of work)
Green bell pepper
Onion
Garlic
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Fresh parsley and basil
Bay leafs
A bit of tomato paste
Italian seasoning

will post recipe if anyone is interested
>>
>>8610481
I usually make the sauce first and then add meat if I feel like it, sometimes I make chicken parmigiana or other shit with the sauce

I usually put in canned or smashed up tomatoes, onions, garlic, finely diced red capsicum, salt, pepper, basil, sage and sometimes a little bit of chilli powder or fresh chopped chilli.

Then I just cook it down until it's thick enough
>>
>>8610481
crushed tomato master race checking in

>no red pepper flake
>>
what are possible reasons my tomato sauce is slightly bitter?

tried with and without tomato paste
tried various canned tomatoes
tried more and less olive oil

wtf is it? I beginning to suspect its my aluminium pot, what kind of pot should i use?
>>
>>8610505
I made chicken parmigiana from scratch last week. Came out great (excuse my paper plate please). Expensive dish to make, real premium cheese is so overpriced. I use a little bit of chili powder too, forgot to put it up.

>>8610517
Are you putting in sugar? You don't add olive oil to the sauce itself. A stainless steel pot should be fine (not sure about aluminum honestly).
>>
Capers, anchovies, olives, and a little pepper flakes, but it's not my recipe.
I also use canned Italian tomatoes because I assume they're better than American canned tomatoes and supermarket tomatoes are shite
really though I make it a little different pretty much every time
>>8610517
put in a spoonful of brown sugar homes
>>
>>8610522
>>8610523
I've put in sugar, and carrots. I simmer for 1 hour. The actual fuck
>>
>>8610536
How much sugar?
>>
>>8610545
A teaspoon and tablespoon on two different tries. for 28oz can
>>
>>8610517
Any pot is fine, I personally don't use tomato paste, more tomatoes and more salt gets the same effect as far as I know and it might be the olive oil if you're using extra virgin.

>>8610522
We have a lot of deli's around where I live cause there are a lot of Italians and Greeks around my area, good mozzarella is pretty cheap down at the local deli.

Where are you getting your cheese and why is it so expensive, even at the supermarkets down here in Australia a 500g bag of pre-shredded mozzarella is only $5 and a proper ball of mozzarella is not too much more expensive.
>>
>>8610545
About 1 TB per 28 oz can of tomatoes.
>>
I go by the mantra of simplicity for sauce:
Line bottom of sauce pan with about a quarter inch of olive oil.
Add three or four minced garlic cloves per tomato.
Once garlic is fragrant, add chopped roma tomatoes
Add some fresh basil, a pinch of salt, a dash of salt, a dash of black pepper, either minced carrots or a couple tbs of brown sugar and a tablespoon or two of tomato paste.
Also like to add some sort of chili, I've been using arbols lately and really think they complement the sauce well.
Let simmer a couple hours and it's good to go.
>>
>>8610555
>>8610552
Why are two of you replying?

1 TB should be enough. Post your entire recipe and I'll see if I can spot what you're doing wrong. If not, it may be the pot.

>>8610553
I've found that tomato paste deepens the flavor, but I suppose a real tomato could do that. I'll have to experiment.

And it's the real Parmigiano-Reggiano really. I don't have a good local deli but I could try better to shop around than just Safeway. About $10 for a wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano and maybe $6 for the ball.
>>
>>8610561
No onions? No meat?
>>
>>8610571
I use a mix of mozzarella and some other type of cheese, whatever I've got on hand, usually a nice cheddar but parmigiano cheese works well too if you don't mind paying extra.

Usually here in Aus our Safeway/Woolworths have a cheese section with some pretty good shit, dunno whether American Safeway has that though.
>>
>>8610571
1 can (28-oz) crushed tomatoes
2 TBS olive oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 carrot, shredded
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 TBS salt
1 TBS sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley

I sweat the onions and carrot for like 15 minutes, not browned just softened.

Then add the dried herbs and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes.

Then the tomato paste, cook for a couple minutes to take the raw edge off.

Finally add the tomatoes, simmer for an hour stirring occasionally.
>>
>>8610595
What kind of olive oil are you using, extra virgin probably isn't the best choice for cooking the sauce with.
>>
>>8610590
Yeah we have a gourmet cheese section. It's pretty much the only place to get actual real cheese.

>>8610595
It could be the olive oil. But other than that not sure what it could be. I suppose you could try removing that and using a new pot to rule everything out. If not, just add more sugar. Maybe one of those cans just happens to have a strong taste to it.
>>
>>8610536
>I simmer for 1 hour
LONGER
>>
>>8610603
filippo berio regular olive oil
>>
>>8610609
Why? You should be using olive oil for cooking your veggies and meat. Don't add it by itself to the sauce.
>>
>>8610605
Where do you live man, I'm sure there's gotta be a deli somewhere near you, look around the areas where a lot of Italians live, there's bound to be a deli somewhere around those area's
>>
>>8610615
Huh? I use it to sautee the veggies in the very beginning.
>>
>>8610620
Ah misunderstood you. Yeah it could be the pot (or not). Not sure. If a new pot doesn't fix the problem just add more sugar. It sucks but what can you do. I can't think out anything given the info you provided.
>>
>>8610629
That sucks because I don't know where to get quality pots and pans
>>
tfw the first time I made sauce I used sweet onion and it came out so fucking sweet
>>
>>8610642
You don't need a super high quality one. I'm sure your local retail chain has some decent ones.

>>8610685
kek
>>
>>8610580
A basic pomodoro sauce doesn't usually have meat. I make meatballs and braciole sometimes, or a nice bolognese, but this is just my basic sauce.

I add onions occasionally too, but the carrots or sugar add enough sweetness. Sometimes I'll replace carrots with sweet onions too, but I've never noticed a real difference in having both.
>>
>>8610536
Not nearly long enough, you want at least three hours on a light simmer
>>
>>8610481
Ingredients:
>1kg Mince veal
>2 Large onions
>1 Green capsicum
>1 Red capsicum
>2 Carrots
>2 Chilli's
>3-4 Medium mushrooms
>2 Cloves of garlic
>sloosh of red wine preferably cab sav
>Few leaves of basil
>2 Pinches of pepper
>Pinch oregano
>1 x Tinned tomato pure
>2 x Tinned crushed tomatoes
>4 x Jars arrabita sauce

Method:
>Fine dice and brown off onions/garlic/chilli
>Add meat and pepper, cook till sealed
>Cut capsicum and carrots into small cubes about 1cm and add
>Sploosh some wine in there
>Add tomato pure
>Cut mushrooms into fine strips then add
>Add oregano and basil finely chopped
>Add crushed tomatoes and arabitta sauce
>Reduce till even thick soup consistency
>Serve with any pasta you like and freeze the rest
>>
>>8610991
Interesting, no sugar? You don't find it too acidic?
>>
>>8612027
nien, doesnt need salt either cause the wine,carrot and arrabbita have enough sugar and salt to go round. Though im sure some american will tell me it needs like 2 tablespoons of sugar for the overall quantity and a tablespoon of salt.
>>
File: doubt0.png (64KB, 540x291px) Image search: [Google]
doubt0.png
64KB, 540x291px
>>8612172
>doesnt need salt either
>>
How the fuck do you make sauce that isnt watery.

Ive tried a can of whole tomatoes, ive tried a can of diced tomatoes, ive tried adding some canned tomatoe sauce to thicken it. Ive simmered it for 6 hours.

No matter what I do it comes out as a watery piece of shit.
>>
>>8612176
Next you will try and convince me you need to grease a pan before the cooking of bacon and you should touch your penis immediately after the chopping of chillies.
>>
>>8612178
More salt, you don't even need to simmer it for six hours man, just till it's thick enough
>>
Here's my basic tomato sauce recipe for pasta al pomodoro:
Tomatoes, garlic, basil and parsley
Nothing else.
I start off by sautéing a garlic clove or two with some olive oil. Then I pour over a bunch of canned crushed tomatoes, add some dried basil, and let it simmer for a while until it gets thick enough. Finally, I serve it over some pasta and top it off with some parsley. No bell peppers, no chili peppers.
>>
>>8612943
Yawn.

-1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick for mirepoix
-sweat it down in butter+oil with a bunch of garlic
-brown the meat (usually just ground beef, sometimes i like to add 1/2 ground beef 1/2 ground Italian sausage for a completely different taste)
-28oz can tomatoes
-6oz (or whatever the tiny can is) of tomato paste
-fill the empty tomato paste can with red wine and add that in
-salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, dry basil, no sugar (it isn't fucking pizza sauce)
-simmer a few hours and you're golden
>>
>>8612988
Do you drain the can of tomatos if it has water in it?
>>
>>8613165
Nope. If i use whole canned tomatoes i crush them up/blend them. Usually, though, i use a 28oz can of tomato sauce (literal "tomato sauce," not prego/ragu/etc).
>>
What's hard about roasting tomatoes and then sticking then in a blender with garlic and herbs?
>>
>>8613304
Too much mess and effort when there are predone products that do it to a consistent quality without too many preservatives, also i dont have a pocket italliano family replete with boss nona cook to do it with.
>>
>>8613469

Too much mess and effort?

You literally just toss some tomatoes onto a baking sheet for an hour then shove it in a blender. Cleaning a single item too much for you?
>>
>>8610481
Yeah, I make a basic tomato sauce (with a heavy onion and garlic base with anchovies), and sometimes add meat to it.
I occasionally make bolognese, but my family doesn't like it as much because they don't like chicken liver as much as I do.
>>
>>8612203
irrelevant. salt is seasoning. having bland food is a sign of a bad cook
>>
>>8613469
Because on an average day after work it's not worth the extra time for barely a noticeable difference.
>>
>>8610481
my sauce in summer is:
>put tomatoes in mixer
>strain
>heat in pan with salt,pepper,olive oil while pasta is cooking
>sauce pasta

in winter i do a classic bolognese 1-2 times and freeze it, one big pot lasts for around 20 meals
>>
>>8612178
you can add gelatine or gelatineheavy meat, thats why veal is included in most bolognese sauces.
if you do a straight up tomatosauce your mistake is in the saucing, you need to add some pastawater,oil/butter and cheese to the saucepan and put it on high heat when you add the pasta til it reaches the desired consistency over a heavy boil, doesnt take more than 20-30 seconds
>>
>>8613694
"barely noticeable", i also dont roast my own chicken, i prefer buying canned roast chicken, its consistent quality and its not worth the effort for a minor improvement
>>
>>8613813
false equivalency
>>
>>8613847
not really, people who rationalize and justify not making their own stock,tomatosauce,mayonaise or any other thing that requires very little work for a much better result than the things you can buy in a store are indifferent to what they eat and shouldnt lurk a cooking board
>>
>>8613948
wrong
>>
>>8613813
Do you not have a job or something? Who has time to make their own mayonnaise etc all the time? There's nothing wrong with having convenient alternatives. You don't have to make your own mayo every time you make a fucking sandwich m8.
>>
>>8610481
I like capers and anchovy in mine. Just a bit. Lots of garlic. I'll use leftover sauce for meatball sandwiches or whatever else I can think of
>>
>>8614135
i know people that can cook are a minority on this board, but buying something jarred that takes literally 2 minutes (including washing the utensils) then justifying your inability and laziness is just stupid. it also keeps 2 days in the fridge, and costs about 1$ for 300ml.
Its your life, you can eat literal shit for all i care, but why bring that attitude to a fucking cooking board and be smug about it
>>
>>8614205
It's one fucking ingredient that's jarred you autist. Everything else is fresh, stop being so stupid.

>inability
Because roasting tomatoes is hard right?

>2 days in the fridge
And?

>$1
Tomatoes don't cost 1 dollar.

There's nobody in this thread except you being this autistic. Do you make your own mustard? Do you make your own honey? Do you make your own olive oil? Ketchup? Soy sauce? Where's the line faggot? Not all of us have the luxury of being jobless neets with mommy's credit card.
>>
>>8613813
Roast chicken in a can is full of preservatives and thus rules it out as a viable alternative. Fresh roast store bought chicken from a supermarket deli however is a time save and a justifiable equivalent.
>>8613684
the arrabbita sauce already has salt in it you penis ponderer, if you want more salt and higher blood pressure just to satiate your taste buds go the fuck ahead i am not going to impede your way to an earlier grave.
>>
>>8613304
>>8614205
>>8614216
And as a matter of fact, if you think a good pasta sauce is nothing but tomatoes garlic and some herbs in a blender I'd say you're the one who doesn't know how to cook.
>>
>>8614227
>le salt is bad for you meme
wew lad
>>
>>8613648

You peel em first? I want your-a recipe in more-a detail.
>>
>>8614289
I honestly don't think he knows how to cook if he doesn't even bother to saute the garlic first.
>>
>>8614216
you confuse posters, i was specifically replying to your mayo sandwich comment, using canned tomatoes is fine, using storebought sauce is like using storebought mayo. i dont know or care what recipe you posted nor do i care if you use canned tomatoes or roast them yourself
>>
Canned crushed tomatoes
Garlic powder
Persillade
Salt
Dill weed
Oregano
Chili powder
Black pepper
Tarragon
Basil
=
Win
>>
>>8614239
everything is bad for you when it lacks a proper dosage, just like everything is a carcinogen.
>>
Stewed and diced tomatoes
Tomato paste
Crushed tomatoes
Mushrooms
Green and red pepper
Red onions
Whole basil leaf
Parsley
Salt and pepper
Red pepper (to taste)
Brown and white sugar (to taste)
Oregano

Canned for all the tomatoes work fine as OP Said it saves a ton of time. I Sautee the veggies up first then add all the tomatoes, cook it low and slow for a few hours. Funny this was posted, having my bimonthly sauce day tomorrow making enough sauce for a month or so
-courtesy of your local neighborhood mob boss
>>
File: Ajvar_(10844189665).jpg (62KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
Ajvar_(10844189665).jpg
62KB, 800x551px
>>8610481
1. sweat a lot of thin onion stripes with concentrated tomato paste and honey
2. add fresh tomatoes, fill up with canned sieved tomatoes
3. add ajvar (bell pepper-eggplant-sauce from the Balkan area, pic related)
4. let reduce until creamy, the longer the better
5. season
>>
>>8610505
>>8610522
Chicken parmigiana? Do Italians (not Americans) actually eat this?

>>8613813
>canned roast chicken
WTF? Why? Sounds disgusting.
>>
>>8610481
Olive oil
Garlic
Can of San Marzano Tomato (out of season)
Roma Tomato (in season)
Fresh Basil

Spiralized Zucchini cooked in butter.

Delicious.
>>
>>8616514
ask an italian
>>
1. Open up a jar of ragu
2. Heat and pour over freshly boiled barilla
Wa la. Pasta al dante ( thats my name btw)
>>
8 hour Sicilian gravy(gonna need a rather large pot. At least 9 quarts):

Start with coating the pot with olive oil.
Brown mild Italian sausages
Brown Pork neck bones
Brown beef short ribs
Set the meat aside

Sweat the following in same pot:
Onions
Grated carrots
Garlic (any kind works here, fresh, jar of minced, or a tube of paste)
Season veggies with salt, white and black pepper, oregano, garlic powder.

After veggies are tender, add some tomato paste and kind of let it "brown."

Deglaze the pan with some beef stock. Then add canned whole San Marzano or plum tomatoes. Crush with a mashed potato masher. Then add all the meats back in the sauce. Add some milk but no more than half a cup. Let simmer for 8 hours. Season to taste along the way.

If you plan on emulsifying about half way through the cooking process, you may want to put the pork neck bones in at the beginning wrapped in cheese cloth since little bits of bones will come off and you don't want that shit getting caught up in your emulsifier.

I don't think I'm leaving anything out but let me know if you have questions. If you have the time and you've never had this style of sauce before, then you are in for a real treat. Best part is freezing the left over sauce and using it in the future. Tastes even better after frozen.
>>
>50/50 pork and beef mince, 1,5-1lbs depending how meaty you want your sauce to be
>1 large carrot
>1 large yellow onion
>2 stalks of celery
>4 cloves of garlic
>2 cups of vegetable broth
>half a cup of red wine
>one 28oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes, go for san marzano if you can
>two small cans of tomato paste
>dash of worchestire
>dried parsley, oregano, thyme, marjoram and basil
>salt and pepper to taste

Crush the garlic, dice the mirepoix and saute them soft in the olive oil in your dutch oven. Add minced meat, brown it nice and even, add worchestire and tomato paste, stir the paste into the meat and let it start to caramelize. When this happens, add the wine and deglaze. Crush tomatoes in the bowl and add them into the dutch oven. Stir until even, add spices, salt and pepper. Add the vegetable broth, lower your heat to simmer, stir again until the sauce is nice and even, cover the dutch oven and let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring and tasting the sauce periodically. When it's lost half of it's liquid and it's thick but not too thick, boil your pasta and enjoy it with the rest of the wine you had left over.
>>
File: 1448601263707.jpg (238KB, 1337x1289px) Image search: [Google]
1448601263707.jpg
238KB, 1337x1289px
>>8616711
>seasoning garlic with garlic powder
>>
1 can tomatoes
1 Onion
2 TBs Butter

That's it really. It's very sweet already. That's the basic one I use when I'm lazy, which is often.
>>
>>8616884
That's really only if you don't have any garlic on hand. Failed to mention that I guess.
>>
>>8616862
t. """""Italian""""""" from NJ.
YOU DISGUST YOUR FOREFATHERS

honestly
>>
>3 medium onions
>a bulb of garlic
>1kg fresh tomatoes
>400g tinned tomatoes
>2tbsp red wine vinegar
>1tbsp tomato puree
>1tsp sugar
>olive oil

1) Sweat onions and garlic for 10-15 minutes until soft and tinged
2) add tomatoes, vinegar, puree and sugar - simmer for 40 minutes with lid closed
3) blitz/blend sauce with a blender or food processor

Add meat to it if you want
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.