[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I often see red onions used as cooking onions in recipes these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: onion.jpg (29KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
onion.jpg
29KB, 500x267px
I often see red onions used as cooking onions in recipes these days. I'm of the opinion that red onions are better served in dishes raw, like in greek salads or on top of a dish to add some color. They don't caramelize as well as brown or white onions do. In any type of stewing they don't melt into the sauce as well as brown or white onions do either. They also taste kinda off when fully cooked as compared to brown onions. So why is everyone cooking with them?
>>
>>8604703
>brown onions
What the fuck are brown onions? You mean yellow onions?
>>
>>8604715
What the fuck are yellow onion? You mean white onion?
>>
>>8604720
No, yellow onions and white onions are different things.
>>
>>8604722
Das rayciss
>>
Because people have different taste than you
>>
>>8604720
they are both in the op picture, jesus christ get it together
>>
They store longer than white onions and are sweet and colorful for fresh uses. I would never use them cooked.
>>
>>8604703
What the fuck is a white onion?
I've unironically never seen one.
>>
>>8604703
Color primarily. There's no hidden meaning to it.
>>
>>8604703
They're good for cooking. I use them in curries n shit.
>>
>>8604771
top right in the pic.

I like them diced on my street tacos, or thinly sliced in salads
>>
>on a food and cooking board
>two people in twenty minutes have shown they don't know what a white onion is
Christ
>>
>>8604715
>Ameriblubbers call brown onions yellow

Does the diabeetus make you colourblind?
>>
>>8604771
They also paradoxically go by the name Spanish onions.
>>
>>8604791
>>8604782
Interesting. Maybe they're just not very popular here?
https://www.diggers.com.au/shop/vegetables/onions-leeks-and-shallots/
Link related.
>>
they all caramelise about as well as each other

people make up distinctions between things of different colours because they want their intuition to be vindicated
>>
>>8604790
It's because the onion flesh has a yellow-ish tinge (when peeled) compared to the white.
>>
>>8604807
I seriously don't think they do. Red onions seem to never become that sort of marmy fully caramelized state that other onions get to. It's why you don't see french onion soups with red onions.
>>
what's an onion?
>>
>>8604703
I actually agree with OP. Red is best for sandwiches and salads, yellow or white for cooking. I'd even say yellow exclusively for cooking but I never use white for cooking apparently anyway.
>>
>>8604703
I almost exclusively use white because they always look nicer
>>
I had red onions fried as in onion rings the other day. Tasted exactly the same, so it's just for novelty.

It was Company Burger in New Orleans.
>>
>>8604703
I think red onions are necessity if you're going to be pickling them, but if you're cooking with them, you'd probably be better off with a shallot.
>>
>>8606858
Ah see I have to disagree with you on this one. I think when fried as onion rings the red onions keep their shape more and don't cook through as much resulting in a mostly raw onion even with the breading fully cooked.

My body has a hard time digesting raw onions. I usually ask for no onions in my food unless I know it will be fully cooked as then it's somewhat easier to digest. I love onions but at the same time get massive headaches from eating raw onions or garlic or anything from the onion family.
>>
>>8606651
I made French onion soup with purple onions before, didn't make a noticeable difference though.
>>
i think red onions only get used raw, ever, because they're pretty. they've always been the most bitter-hot variety to me and i don't like them very much
>>
>>8606651
>Red onions seem to never become that sort of marmy fully caramelized state that other onions get to. It's why you don't see french onion soups with red onions.
No. It's more to do with the cost of red (small percentage of overall US crop and often double the price of yellow/spanish), and the fact the red color can change given acidity of a final dish, and in the case of soups, that pH can add an unappealing color change to blue or green. Your french onion might be worrisome as a green soup.

I find that in offseason (storage season), red onion can get a bit stronger than yellow or white onions, and that is the only restriction I use when I pick an onion. I ignore prices. I will buy a bag of vidalia or sweet onions if that's what I want that day, and same for reds, yukon gold, or any other onion or potato choice. But, if I intend a raw dish to use onion, I might sometimes find a red very very strong and might want to soak/rinse a really strong stored onion so I don't deal with too much aftertaste or overpowering onion flavor like in a cole slaw. If they are extremely strong, I grill them after a little marinade in some balsamic and olive oil. Get a good char on there.

I rarely buy white, but I do find them usually crisp and mild in aftertaste. For cooking? I find white, yellow, red similar, and I've used them all kinds of ways. Vidalias can get very sweet when caramelized, but the others? About the same once the moisture is gone.
>>
>>8607106
They are pretty hardcore eaten fresh and raw, but I love them. I usually grill them a bit in my Foreman grill to mellow them out before putting them in a salad.

You can also soak them in water for a few minutes then drain, they lose a bit of that strength. The longer they soak, the more flavour they lose.
>>
>>8604703
OP is actually 100% correct.
>>
>>8604703
Because most people who seem to get into cooking these days are white dumbasses who can't tell the difference between spanish, sweet, and yellow onions. The red is the only one they can pick out.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.