[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife thread. Are shun and wüsthof the best knives for nonretarded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 61K-fhuJOOL._SL1500_.jpg (76KB, 1500x1071px) Image search: [Google]
61K-fhuJOOL._SL1500_.jpg
76KB, 1500x1071px
Knife thread. Are shun and wüsthof the best knives for nonretarded peices? Looking at a shun 7 inch santoku rn, and i like the steel better than wüsthof's . Anyone else i should look into for that price?
>>
>>8591677
Shun and Wusthof are both fine for a mid/high end home cook or professional.

They're like a jaguar or Mercedes. High production, mid range price, decent performance for the $.

The knives from the 14th generation blacksmith in Kyoto will be more like a Ferrari. Very high end, very high performing, but requires care and will cost significantly more than higher production models but only offer slightly more performance compared to the jaguar or Mercedes.
>>
>>8591821
Because those will generally have SOME manufacturing imperfections until you reach the ~$300 + range at which point, I'd rather just pony up for a $1000 meme blade that's custom made to my liking
>>
>>8591677

Zwilling Twin and Tojiro DP are the big brands in the same price range. I'd just get something really cheap like an Ergo Chef Prodigy.
>>
I'm at my in-laws house for the weekend and their knives are horrendously dull. I mean, I can't even cut a lime in two. The only sharpening stone I have is a small camping version that's too smooth to put an edge on a dull blade. What else can I use?
>>
>>8591924

Sandpaper.
>>
>>8591924
Unfinished ceramic on coffeecup/bowl if not gonna chip it like an autist
>>
>>8591941
>>8591944

I found some sanding blocks in the garage, and I'm going to give 'em a go...
>>
>>8591787
Having purchased some of the "14th generation blacksmith in Kyoto" knives you speak of, let me be the one to assure you that NO, they will not offer "slightly more performance". They will offer exactly zero % more performance while costing a lot more and require a watchful eye to prevent them from rusting.

That said they aren't a bad purchase if you find gratification out of owning such knives like I do.
>>
>>8592237
Generally they'll be higher quality steel than Shun/Wusthof.
So yeah, performance will be better.

Shun VG-10 is fine, but it wont compare to the edge of an Aogami Super blade from a good smith.
>>
>>8592244
I'm sure the edge retention of the Hitachi Blue steel is better than VG-10 but all the steels in higher end knives from Shun on up can take a ridiculously fine shaving sharp edge and keep it for a good long while. This is all the while VG-10 has excellent stain resistance so you don't need to worry about a droplet of water left on the blade before you put it away, and you never have to wipe it down with an oiled rag, ever.
>>
>>8592328
I enjoy regular knife care such as oiling, honing, sharpening, etc. Part of owning a good knife in my opinion anyway.
>>
File: forged-premio-13-pc-block-set-3.gif (247KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
forged-premio-13-pc-block-set-3.gif
247KB, 1000x1000px
I don't know anything about knives but I got these bad boys as a gift when I moved into my apartment and they're fucking great.
>>
>>8592353
Take any piece of old leather or cloth and grab a $5 block of green metal polish from Harbor Freight. Wire edge problems weren't
>>
>>8592353
>1945+74
>Using sharpening where a burr visible and not just a wire burr that you see with a jewlers lens and feeling with finger
>>
I need help sharpening my serrated blade. What the fuck do I do
>>
>>8592402
pray
>>
>>8592400
I enjoy sharpening and after professionally sharpening and restoring blades for year
>>8592402
Honestly, youre better off having it professionally done. Most normal people sont have the stones or rods needed. If you wanna drop $70 on dmt diafold rods go for it, they work well
>>
>>8591677
Just a quick question. Why does a steel rod hone and sharpen an edge on a blade that's forged harder than the rod? Seems kind of fake to me.
>>
>>8592476
They arent fully smooth rods in some cases abd remove aimilarly to a stone.
In other cases, its straightening a fild in the steel. It doesnt have to be super hard to do either.
>>
>>8592492

You really wouldn't WANT it to be that much harder now that I think about it. You're not trying to scratch the metal or scrape away metal, you're just trying to gently bang the curled bits straight again.
>>
>>8592370
Treat them right and they will last a lifetime.
>>
>>8592328

VG-10 is not a very good steel for kitchen knife applications as it's pretty lacking in apex stability (resistance to microscopic chipping and rolling at the apex) compared to relatively pure carbon steels (e.g. Hitachi white and blue, 1095, 52100, O-1) and specially designed low-carbide stainless steels (AEB-L, LC200n, Nitrobe 77) which have much better apex stability, and therefore edge retention in kitchen cutlery applications where cutting board contacts are the primary blunting mechanism.
>>
File: victorinox forged.jpg (143KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
victorinox forged.jpg
143KB, 1000x750px
I needed a new knife and all I could find were
>Wusthof
>Zwilling Henckels
>Global
€120-140 each

Then I talked to a small shop guy, he let me know he still had a Victorinox (forged) knife around
Let me have it for €81

It's pretty nice.
>>
File: Tim Hayward - Knife.jpg (121KB, 995x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Tim Hayward - Knife.jpg
121KB, 995x1500px
This book is pretty nice btw

Cheap too.
>>
>>8593132

Nice. Treat it right and it will outlast you.
>>
File: IMG_2187.jpg (33KB, 608x314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2187.jpg
33KB, 608x314px
No love for Rada?
>>
>>8593132
Must be a really old one (not that this is a bad thing with knives of course, often it's the opposite). Victorinox still "makes" high end forged chef's knives, the Grand Maitres (i.e. they have outsourced the production to German manufacturer Solicut) but those look different, with a swoopy handle and no bolster, somewhat similar to the Wüsthof IKONs.
>>
>>8593279
BTW I have never seen one of the old ones like in your picture, and I collect Euro chef's knives and regularly browse ebay and stuff. Take good care of it, there can't be many of those around anymore, especially not in new condition.
>>
Im lucky to own a set of yaxell ran knives.

Im very happy with them

https://www.pj.dk/living/cookware/yaxell-ran-7-piece-knife-block-set
>>
>>8593279
>>8593286
Thanks for the info
I'll definitely look after this baby, next step is a proper sharpening solution

FYI I found the picture with an image search, though mine matches it exactly.
>>
>>8593286
Found it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Forged-10-034-CHEF-039-S-Knife-Professional-Kitchen-Cutlery-Full-Tang-NEW-/371382219642

>$115
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.