[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you get a good fallafel? I'm starting with dried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 20160323-falafel-recipe-25.jpg (224KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20160323-falafel-recipe-25.jpg
224KB, 1500x1125px
how do you get a good fallafel?

I'm starting with dried beans, rehydrating them until they start to ferment, changing the water daily

now I've seen some recopies where they are par-cooked first, I'm blanching mine fairly heavily

they are a pain in the ass to blend, they start out throwing themselves around like popcorn, and end up compacting and jamming my blender

I'm not adding much to them, just some dry spice and harissa

I'm frying them at a low temperature

but the end result is still a bit too raw, and much too dense
>>
I made them using this recipe
http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/01/falafel/
It was pretty good although I've never had fallafel that wasn't made using this recipe by myself.
>>
>>8571939
I always make mine with fresh fava beans (or dried favas if I've run out of fresh). And if I need a little binder, I use chickepea flour. Favas make superior falafel.
>>
>>8571941
I tried that recipe using raw chickpeas, but found it almost entirely undigested
even using oil on a low temp and making them small, the result was too raw

and they were super dense

>>8571943
go away /pol/

>>8571968
might try fava
what you say about the flour gets me thinking though, I just used wheat flour and I wonder if that's a no-no
I only used a tablespoon or two
>>
>>8572055
>go away /pol/
go away reddit
>>
>>8572067
I'm making fallafel, what is your problem?

go trash someone else's board
>>
>>8571943
>meat
>>
>>8571939

I just get canned chickpeas, mash them up with spices and make little patties out of them, always turns out well.
>>
>>8571939
Serious Eats has some good tips: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/03/the-food-lab-vegan-experience-best-homemade-falafel.html

He doesn't blanch them, just soak overnight and blend. Don't think you need them to ferment either. That being said, I've never actually made falafel
>>
Sweden herr. Just soak Them for 24 h or so and put them in à food prcessor with parsley spices and some old white bread. À food processor is essential since a blender doesnt really do the job.
>>
>>8571939

try to squeeze/strain out whatever excess liquid you can before balling them up, really helps with the consistency and their ability to hold together while frying
>>
>>8574062
that's a good idea, I'l try to get more of the water out of them
might blend the chickpeas seperately and wring them in muslin

>>8573592
the fermentation is to make them a little more digestible
when you leave chickpeas to soak you get this white goop float to the surface that is actually a kind of detergent, and it causes ingestion

that's what I heard, and I'm inclined to believe it

the seriouseats guy does it the same way I do, but opts for no flour, which I might try

perhaps my mix is too coarse as well
>>
>>8572055
>>8572721
>>8573975
>>8574805
>>8574062
I've been meaning to make some of these and the spices vary a lot fro recipe to recipe
What do u lads recommend for a scruptios fucking falafel??
>>
>>8574929
Cumin
Sesame paste
Sesame oil
Olive Oil
Parsley
Pepper
Salt
fenugreek
curry powder
>>
>>8571939
If you don't have a deep fryer you're fucked.

If you don't have a perfect recipe you're fucked.

If you don't know the temperature of the oil you'll be fucked.

If you don't size them properly you'll be fucked.

If you don't rehydrate your chickpeas enough you'll be fucked.

If you rehydrate your chickpeas too much you'll be fucked.

If you agitate them too much while cooking you'll be fucked.

Falafel are one of my favourite foods in the entire world. But it is easily the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to make.
>>
>>8574929
>>8575054
I go easy on the parsley, and leave the sesame paste for the hummus (go ahead if not hummus though)

cumin, coriander, salt pepper garlic, chilli

seen some recipes with cardamon, but fuck that
guaranteed to make anything you cook taste wierd
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.