[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your pet peeves, /ck/? Mine is when the recipe gives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: democracy.jpg (89KB, 468x498px) Image search: [Google]
democracy.jpg
89KB, 468x498px
What are your pet peeves, /ck/?

Mine is when the recipe gives amounts in retarded units.

"Two cans of coconut milk." WHAT SIZE OF CANS YOU FUCK?! Two 3fl.oz cans or two half-gallon cans?!
A jar of tomato extract. A tiny jar the size of shot glass or a huge-ass jar like a jar of pickles?

I don't mind "a dash of", or "a pinch of". But when it's one of the main ingredients and difference of order of "between ounce and gallon", and I'm making this dish first time and don't know how it's supposed to look like, it really pisses me off.
>>
PAN HOT
>>
OLIVE OWL

IN
>>
>>8557173
>don't know how it's supposed to look like

How is that even possible? Chances are you've had the dish before, or at least seen it before, otherwise why would you be motivated to learn to make it?

...and even if you suddenly got the urge to cook a random dish you've never seen before, you have this thing called the internet. You can find pictures of the food, videos of it being made, etc. That should easily put into context whether someone means 3 oz vs a whole fucking gallon.
>>
>>8557173
Any """recipe""" that lists cans as ingredients is bullshit.
>>
>>8557209
Because I want to try some exotic cuisine that is not available anywhere within 1000km.

I can find pictures. I can find a video that appears to be a slideshow of still pictures, and still have no clue wtf. Then I find another video that was made with a potato. Then I find a decent quality video where a fat bitch talks about her trip to that country and gets an orgasm from her own voice and I get so pissed I switch it off. Then I find one that substitutes cheetos for rice, and I immediately know it's total bullshit. Then one with a vegan version that looks like diarrhea.

I'll *eventually* find one that seems right and gives a valid recipe that looks about right. But by then I'm thoroughly pissed off by all that bullshit.
>>
>>8557173
Watch James Townsend for severe aggravation and completely unfollowable recipes.
He fucking adores inaccurate measurements.
Enjoy.
>>
>>8557173
When it says half a packet or a pack of yeast like wtf what plebs buy a single fucking packet at a time what size is the packets your using what if the brand j buy is bigger or smaller just give a fucking measurement
>>
>>8557283
You leave him the fuck alone he's one of the nicest people ever he's like bob Ross

His recipes are so inaccurate because there not fucking his there from the 17 century dumb ass they didn't use standard units of measurement
>>
>>8557256
>Because I want to try some exotic cuisine that is not available anywhere within 1000km.
This is tough. If you want to make dishes at home that you've never tasted before the recipe has to be bulletproof, because you don't really know what you're going for. Usually when I'm making new dishes at home it's reverse engineering something I had at a restaurant that struck me. (I'd say a good chunk of my going out to eat is specifically to get a handle on unfamiliar cuisines and dishes). If you don't have that option you really have to be particular about the recipes you use. A lot of traditional foods are time/labor intensive to make. Most modern home cooks are looking for quick and easy. So most recipes you come across will be dumbed down in the interest of convenience. You know you're dealing with these kinds of recipes when the ingredient lists have cans of this and packages of that. Don't follow those recipes. Only follow recipes that list amounts of individual ingredients, preferably by weight. And preferably written by experts in the kind of cuisine you're trying to make.
>>
>>8557298
You can easily web search to learn it's 1.5 teaspoons. I get two pound bags, because they cost about the same as the tiny jars.

>>8557173
I think the standard size for coconut milk is 14 ounces. That's way too much coconut milk if you don't want to be fat like Indians.
>>
>>8557298
Yeast comes in 7g portions and everyone else has figured this out except you.
>>
>>8557283
Are you actually trying to make recipes from 17/18 century? The point of James Townsend is history, not cooking along. There are better versions of al of those recipes available from modern cookbooks or websites.

Also fuck you if you don't like those videos. They are a joy to watch.
>>
>>8557466
His perpetually scrunched forehead annoys me, and he's getting a turkey neck from eating historically accurate too much. Nerfherder didn't know about amygdalate.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.