[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to make like a tablespoon of sourdough starter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Is it possible to make like a tablespoon of sourdough starter at a time?

I'm really interested in making this pizza recipe, but it calls for some (about 15g) sourdough starter and it makes the whole process a huge pain in the ass.
Through some research I've found that 15g of starter is about a tablespoon, so I'm just wondering if I could start off with a half tablespoon of flour and water, and build from there.

If not, is there a suitable substitute?
Honestly I'd like to avoid it all together, so I don't have to wait 5 days to make a single fucking pizza.
>>
>>8555960
dude just use a different recipe in the meantime, and if you're really interested, make your own starter. it's not going to make a huge difference. once it gets going you can keep it in the fridge, and barely maintain it. use the pineapple juice method.
>>
>>8556037
nah son, look at this shit
http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm

And yeah, I want to make my own starter, but I don't want to make an entire cup of it. I'll end up throwing it out.

Is there a way of substituting yeast?
>>
>>8556081

yes, you can basically substitute long fermentation for sourdough.

this is the recipe i use for pizza dough

100% flour
62.5% water
2.0% salt
0.25 to 0.5% yeast

if i want the dough quickly (12-24 hours), i use a lot of yeast (0.5%). if i can wait a couple of days, i use less.

if i need it really quickly (a few hours), i will add some sugar or honey to the water.

using a small amount of yeast and letting it work over a longer period gives you a close enough flavor to sourdough (as long as it isn't san francisco sourdough). it should have a slight boozy/beery smell when it's ready to go. the main thing is to let the entire batch of dough bulk ferment (make enough dough for 4-6 pizzas, and let the whole thing ferment), then after a few days, portion it out for the individual pies.

an alternative to a sourdough starter (which i think is a pain in the ass to take care of), is to just use whatever old dough you have left when you are making a fresh batch of dough. this is quite common in french baking. i do it with pizzas. you get the deep, mature flavor a little bit faster.
>>
>>8556147
what i mean in the last sentence is to just recycle the old dough into your new dough. you have to chop it up into small chunks to get it to mix completely, but it works great. the french call it "pate fermentee".
>>
>>8556147

I do the same thing as this anon to avoid keeping up with a starter. I make a poolish with 2 pinches of yeast (no more after that) to seed the final dough mixture. Remember that pizza dough can be made from any old dough you have lying around so it's not that special.

I like to bulk ferment in the fridge to give me a large window on when I want to bake. Take it out of the fridge a couple hours before you bake.

This method results in a flavorful crust with minimum two days fermenting and 15 minutes of counter work.
>>
>>8556151
>>8556147
The recipe I linked above (>>8556081) actually does this with the sourdough. He creates a poolish out of it.

I've been reading about sourdough since starting this thread, and found that it honestly might not be too bad to make a normal amount of it.

I hadn't read that you can keep it in the fridge for weeks at a time without refreshing it, once active. This makes the process much easier.

I thought I would have to make the sourdough 5 days in advance of making the dough, which needs to cold rise for 5 days after that too.
>>
>>8556081
>I don't want to make an entire cup of it.

Why not?

>I'll end up throwing it out.
Surely you can find other baking uses for it. Or, just suck it up and toss it. It's dirt cheap to make so it's not as if you're wasting anything of consequence.
>>
>>8557810
Because I'm poor as fuck and I'm not trying to burn through flour week after week for the occasional monthly pizza.

And, yeah I could go crazy and eat bread for a week, but I'd rather just make a couple of pizzas.
>>
>>8557814
>actually eating bread
>for a whole week
Holy shit, don't be a madman here
>>
Anyway, I sort of transcribed the recipe at http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm, tell me if there are any flaws.

PIZZA
>Pumpernickle Sourdough Starter
2 Cup Jar
3 Tbsp Water, 1/3 Cup Flour
-Stir, Store at room temperature for about 24 hours
1.5 Tbsp Water, 1/6 Cup Flour
-Stir, Store at room temperature for about 24 hours

If bubbles —> Refresh
2.25 Tbsp Water, 1/4 Cup Flour
-Throw away 2/3 of mixture, Stir, Store at room temperature for about 24 hours
-Store in Fridge, refresh every two weeks
-Refresh every three days if stored on counter

>Dough
1.25 Cups King Arthur Flour
3/4 Cups Water
1 Tsp Sea Salt
Roughly 1-2 tbsp sourdough starter
*Roughly 0.25 Instant Dry Yeast

- Mix 75% of Flour, and everything else. Cover, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Slowly knead and mix in the rest of the flour.
- Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Shape, cover, and put into fridge for 1-6 days. Dough should be roughly 50% larger in size.

>Sauce
Nina<Rega<Tuttorosso - Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes
1/4-1 TSP Sugar
Pinch of salt
-Strain water into a bowl, then pour bowl back over the tomatoes until water runs clear.
-Crush tomatoes

>Cheese
Bufala Mozzerella<Fresh Mozzerella<Mozerella
-If fresh, dry for 1-3 hours by wrapping in paper towel

- Define crust circumfrance
- Spread dough to desired shape
* Lay down thin sliced dry cheese under sauce
-Spread Sauce
* Basil
- Romano
-Salt
- Cheese
*Salt and Olive Oil
- Bake at 500˚ for 3-6 Minutes
>>
>>8557838

>volume measurements

It's hard to compare volume measurements and you'd probably want to scale this recipe up but...

I think this dough recipe would work alright. There's a lot of leeway in your fermentation times and getting that starter up to speed would take about a week.

I'm not sure how well it would work if you for example only fed it every two weeks and expected it to function like a levain that's just been fed 8 hours prior (room temp). After 6 days in the fridge, your dough might be ripe to the point of being offputting. Make sure to store it under seran wrap or in a vented plastic bag to ensure it doesn't dry out.

Really wet cheese separates. Go with a dry mozz if you don't want your pizza to get soggy after it cools down. I use whole peeled plum or San Marzano, salt, garlic, basil, and anchovy in the sauce. I don't understand the rinsing and straining part for the sauce.

That's a strange way to assemble the pizza. I bake at 500 for 7-8 minutes until there are scorched bits on crust and cheese. 3 seems really low.
>>
>>8558221
Read the recipe I linked at the top.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.