[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pastry chefs can't cook >Cooks can't bake What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: laduree-fall-winter-preview-3.jpg (54KB, 690x650px) Image search: [Google]
laduree-fall-winter-preview-3.jpg
54KB, 690x650px
>Pastry chefs can't cook
>Cooks can't bake

What is with this meme? It's all cooking, how can someone be good at one but bad at the other?
>>
>>8506069
Not saying you can't be good at both, butvthey are two different styles. Ones precise, the other is more creative, both are just following directions to a degree though. Best I can equate it to, is I'm a competitive rifle and hangun shooter, but suck at shotguns. Same basic concepts, but the little differences throw me off.
>>
>laduree
They went downhill when they turned it into an international chain
>>
I respect bakers. There's a shitton of science that plays into everything baked. One simple over scaled item could ruin a whole batch and that's money down the drain.
Cooking, however, if I add too much of one thing it's pretty easy to go back and either adjust all the other ingredients to balance flavor or just deal with extra sausage.
You can't do that with baking because most of the time you can't tell you've fucked it up until it's in the oven.
Baking is definitely more difficult.
>>
>>8506077
Laduree, even at its peak, was never the bee's knees. Sure they'll make the best desserts in classic French fashion, but in the glory days it was the same old stale recipes with no twists. Now the overall quality is cheaper but at least you get some slight curvevalls. I honestly am so bored of asking for whatever dessert a fancy place thinks is best and get the millionth mont blanc or the billionth macaron variation
>>
Cooking is like Predator and baking is like Alien
>>
The very best chefs are excellent bakers.

But baking is such a special skill in itself it can be its own profession.
>>
>>8506069

Baking is not the same as cooking. Learn the difference.
>>
>>8506069
Baking requires precision, general cooking requires instinct.
>>
Each atracts different types of people normaly baking has a steeper learning curve but once you get really good you can improvise just as you would with regular cooking
>>
>>8506119
> Sure they'll make the best desserts in classic French fashion, but
No but. You could have stopped right there. There is literally nothing wrong with old.
>>
>>8506069
Ok.. So I'm going to need to know what that thing is. I found the site it's from but it doesn't name it.
>>
>>8506233
both require being able to pay attention for more than 5 minutes.

you would be amazed how many people can't actually pay attention for longer than 30 seconds
>>
>>8506079
Baking isn't quite as high pressure though.

Throw a pastry person on the hot line and more often than not they're scrambling to keep up.

Not to say they aren't still skilled with their own thing though
>>
>>8509537
A gâteau Saint Honoré, probably with salted caramel or something like that.
>>
>>8506158
This, my friends boss is literally one of the most skilled bakers in America and has dealt with huge companies regarding bakery items, and really knows his shit inside and out but also stepped into the resteraunt business recently, so he's kind of doing the opposite.
>>
>>8509548
I definitely agree.
Been in the industry for about five years and line cooks earn the highest of respect when under pressure, imo.
>>
>>8506069
>meme
>>
>>8509896
Well I guess I'm going to have to get good enough to try that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.