[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some non-fried side options you'd enjoy with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: brats-on-the-grill1.jpg (126KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
brats-on-the-grill1.jpg
126KB, 500x333px
What are some non-fried side options you'd enjoy with grilled bratwurst?
>>
Potato salad
Sweet corn
Tomato and onion salad
>>
>>8482108
Some decent noodles
Wild rice
Sauerkraut
>>
Mashed potatoes
>>
I like all of these ideas, thank you anons. I am launching a grilled sausage food truck in the spring time. My menu is pretty nailed down, except for the side options.

I'm looking for something 1) tasty af 2) can easily be consumed on the go form a cardboard carryout container 3) obviously house-made, but not super labor intensive 4) multi-day shelf life that does not need to be made every single day

keep the suggestions coming anons.
>>
>>8482108
>german coleslaw (white cabbage, whinevinegar,cuminseeds)
>potatosalad of any kind, though that can be labour intensive
>pickled cucumbers eastern europe style(salt,water,vinegar,herbs)
>russian "korean" carrot salad
>kimchi
>>
>>8482207
Central (or Eastern) European detected.
What we call "cumin" is called "caraway" in English.
Also
>potato salad
>labour intensive
uwutm8?
It's a piece of piss to make.
For American version, boil water for potatoes; meanwhile, peel and cut potatoes, carrot, celery and onion.
Add potatoes to water and boil a minute.
Add carrot to water and boil two more minutes along with the potatoes.
Drain and place into a liddable container with the celery and onion as well as mayonnaise, prepared mustard, a dash if vinegar or lemon juice, salt and whatever secret seasonings you enjoy (I like to add freshly powdered dry onion and a few freshly powdered celery seeds).
Lid and shake to combine.
Allow to cool to room temperature. This step is important, as the potatoes and carrots continue to steam in their own residual heat in a lidded container. They will finish themselves through as well as absorb the mayo-based dressing better than if dressed from cold.
Stash in the fridge until completely cooled then serve.
And ours is even easier! (boil potatoes three minutes then dress with minced garlic, fresh parsley a little prepared mustard and either oil, lard or a combination of the two; also salt. serve when cooled, topped with paprika and with lemon wedges on the side).
What sort of potato salad is labour intensive?

>russian "korean" salad
Ah! Eastern it is. That shit's delicious and I also recommend it.

>>8482108
>>8482132
Various grilled/barbecued veg. Courgettes. Peppers. Tomatoes. Shallots. Thai or Indian apple aubergines (the ones about the size of a golf ball or so). Many, many more.
Also, fresh-made flat breads so you can serve bratwurstchen as sandwiches (with spreads of choice and various grilled veg).
>>
>>8482255
What's the verdict on when mayo goes in? I'm of the opinion, wait until it cools, because hot mayo gets greasy and oily. The emulsification breaks down and gets pretty gross.
>>
Ketchup
>>
>>8482116
>noodles with sausage
kys pls

A good bread or mashed potatoes is the only correct answer
>>
>>8482269
Clearly, I like adding it when the potatoes are still warm because, as said, I find that they absorb the dressing better that way, but you can always dress them once they cool, if you prefer. I think it's because natively, our potato salad is based on mustard and oil which clearly absorbs into warm foods better and active as a better dressing so when we cook foreign, mayo-based dressings, we follow the same procedure. Maybe it's because we put considerably less mayonnaise than others do? For 500g (pre-cooked weight) of potato, I'd add 3-4tbsp of mayo. Looking up a few American recipes for potato salad, they put considerably more than that.
>>
>>8482288
>limiting yourself to just one starch
>objectifying the most bland starch off all

Neck yourself, plebian
>>
>>8482255
Love the carrot salad suggestion. I definitely will be going with some type of smashed, whipped, roasted, or potato salad.
>>
I will be using a local bakery to supply all of my bread. I personally always eat my sausage with normal sliced bread, but a lot people also think thats strange. Can I get away with offering a couple sliced bread options (like rye and a hearty white) instead of a traditional white bread bun?
>>
Potato mash with onions & either carrots or cabbage in it (at least half as many veg as potato), and some mustard.
>>
>>8482108
Sauerkraut
>>
Spaetzel noodles
>>
>>8482108
braised red cabbage

german potato salad

pretzels

cucumber, tomato, and onion salad with dill dressing

mashed potatoes (I strongly recommend skin-on red potatoes whipped with loads of butter and just a drop of truffle oil.)
>>
Potato salad
Baked beans
Mixture of sliced fresh fruit
>>
>>8482132
grilled onion and bell pepper needs to be available with grilled brats.
>>
>>8482117
This guy gets it
>>
>>8482255
sherlock holmes mate, yeah i got confused with cumin.
To tell you the truth i live in the largest city in bavaria (germany) which is pretty much the heart of bavarian cooking, which includes classic german potato salad
>cook potatoes, peel, cool,slice,toss with thinly sliced onions and a broth-based, intense vinaigrette - as the most basic version
and even in munich, it is literally exceptional if a bavarian restaurant does their own potatosalad, because as easy as it sounds, it takes some time in prep and almost all restaurants get it from the same distributor because they dont want to deal with it.
Youll get a feel for how much work it is if you compare it to coleslaw
>cook,wait,peel,slice,dress,let sit
>slice on mandoline,dress
i know it sounds silly for a homecook, but most restaurants wont spend this time on a "salad", and this will be amplified for a foodtruck/deli whatever, where a couple of people have to take care of many things without the degree of specialization you find in a restaurant kitchen. Thats only my take on it though, im sure there are people who are willing to invest the time, its a matter of priorities and work ethic.
to add some more ideas for shelfstable sides/condiments:
>wholegrain mustard/caramelised onions/tzatziki
>quick pickled inseason vegetables, could be exciting since you can do a quick pickle with almost anything and can offer a lot of variance while spending very little time on making brine since you can do a big batch and just pour it over the veg in jars,with the veg also being easy to prep
desu i would keep in mind to cover the 2 big preferences people have for sausage sides.
>sour and sweet
if your truck had caramelised onions and a very clean sour pickle without sugar acoompanied by either a mash/potatosalad/bread most people would be covered in my opinion.if you want to go the extra mile you can also add a very clean parsley salad (not the flat one) or marinated kale.
sorry for stream of consciousness
>>
File: semmelknoedel500.jpg (17KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
semmelknoedel500.jpg
17KB, 384x288px
Maybe semmelknodel?
>>
I really appreciate all of the input and feedback. A lot of what has mentioned was already part of my menu, so it is really great to hear some positive reinforcement. I definitely picked up a few new ideas as well- the spicy carrot salad sounds great. I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to solidify my menu.
>>
Stamppot kills it every time
>>
>>8482108
If I'm grilling it, ordinary BBQ sides are fine. Pickles, potato salad, some kind of rye bread or a pretzel. Mashed potatoes work for a foil against the rich flavors of sausage too, if you don't want fries or potato pancakes. Maybe a homemade german potato salad, pasta salad, tossed salad, grilled corn or other veggies, like mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, onions, eggplant. Cold salad made out of grilled veggies is nice, some marinated corn and pepper salad. Apples go nicely with german food, from apple sauce, to apples on a nice tossed salad with vinaigrette.
>>
>>8482288
>>8482295
>What is spaetzle
>>
>>8483488
Fuck that dry shit
Any vinnegar based cole slaw op
>>
Boiled and then oven baked progies.
>>
Baked beans, man. I love beans with brats.
>>
>>8482108

>non-fried

Fucking what? What tried foods do you eat with Bratwurst?

As sides I usually do a green salad and a potato salad, you can also go with sauerkraut, dark rye bread is obligatory of course as is mustard, both sweet grainy and hot mustard.

>that one guy who said noodles

Vomit.exe

>>8482207

I like you. I'll try them out with Kimchi.
>>
>>8482255

>peeling and cutting the taters before boiling

Disgusting. Never give advice about potato salad ever again.

>[adds in carrots]

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8482417

It's Spätzle, not Spätzel and no, it just doesn't work. Same deal as with noodles.
>>
>>8484263

Something that isn't usually eaten with Bratwurst anywhere in Germany.
>>
Cole slaw
Potato salad
Rolls of some kind
Baked beans
maybe a spinach salad
>>
>>8485979
>>
File: 509852c2afa96f2d52000009.jpg (35KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
509852c2afa96f2d52000009.jpg
35KB, 400x299px
>>8484282
>Semmelknödel
>dry

But I kinda agree that dumplings aren't the right side for Bratwurst. You use those with some sauce.
>>
File: deviled egg potato salad.jpg (428KB, 1550x2066px) Image search: [Google]
deviled egg potato salad.jpg
428KB, 1550x2066px
>>8482108
>What are some non-fried side options you'd enjoy with grilled bratwurst?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.