[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I went and got pho for the first time in a long time the other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: pho_0.jpg (134KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
pho_0.jpg
134KB, 1200x800px
I went and got pho for the first time in a long time the other day. But when I got my dish, next to my bowl of pho was a small salad consisting of probably 70% cilantro and the rest bean sprouts and jalapenos.

I was really unsure what to do since the cilantro was incredibly fragrant, and I usually saw bean sprouts in ramen that I'd had before at other places. So I ate the cilantro stems and bean sprouts raw and whole before putting the last bit in my pho broth (and eating them whole once they got a little flavoring).

Is what I did correct? Is it normal to receive a shit ton of cilantro with vietnamese dishes and eat it like a lettuce salad?
>>
>>8463925

they do that here too so yeah it's normal. I just munch on the bean sprouts separately and omit the cilantro. I do put the jalapenos in though
>>
>>8463925
>Is what I did correct?

Did you enjoy it? If yes, then it was correct.

You are paying them for food. They give you food. You eat the food however the fuck you like.
>>
Cilantro?

Pretty sure that's mint and Vietnamese basil.
>>
>>8463925
Thats not cilantro. Thats thai basil.
>>
>>8463938
Well, at first it was strange.. didn't know how to feel and didn't really like it, but I got used to it after a while. Probably won't eat as much as I did again though because of how strong and fragrant it was.

>>8463944
This is probably correct, although I asked the waitress what it was and she said "cilnatro and Vietnamese basil"
>>
File: cilantro1.jpg (104KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cilantro1.jpg
104KB, 500x375px
Also OP pic is not exactly what I ate

pic related is what was the majority on my salad plate
>>
>>8463925
>jalapenos
They're called angry onions, dumbass.
>>
It's a traditional way to clean your fingers after picking out the food. natural oils in the cilantro and the bean sprouts deodorize and scrub clean your fingers so they are not greasy and smell like soup after you're done eating.

Here's the traditional method of eating pho(sounds like fih when you say it) that not many people know about outside of Vietcong:

accept the soup and say thank you several times very loudly and bow without standing up

pull the meat and assorted vegetables one at a time out of the broth, using the cilantro as you go to stay neat

using two fingers on each hand, scoop the noodles up and into your mouth over the bowl, get the whole bunch right around the middle.

suck all the noodles up in one go and consume over the bowl.

rink the soup, clean your hands with the cilantro and place into the empty to be discarded.
>>
>>8463949

That's odd. Was the waitress Vietnamese?

Anyway, the plate of veggies and herbs is a garnish plate for your soup, not a dish in it's own right.

I add mint, basil, and bean sprouts to my soup. Also that really yummy brown/purple sauce, whatever it's called.
>>
>>8463965
Hoisin, my friend.
>>
>>8463972

Nice, thanks. That stuff is amazing.
>>
>>8463965
Nah it was some white american girl

>>8463964
Wow I feel very uncultured,

I will do this next time when I go have pho (or FIH haha :))
>>
File: 1479260688171.jpg (45KB, 640x646px) Image search: [Google]
1479260688171.jpg
45KB, 640x646px
>>8463964
>sounds like fih
>>
You put the veggies in the soup. As much or as little as you'd like.
>>
>>8463925

You put the bean sprouts, herbs & w/e else in the soup. Or don't if you don't want to.
>>
>>8463925
>Is it normal to receive a shit ton of cilantro with vietnamese dishes

Yes.

>>and eat it like a lettuce salad?

No. the veggies are supposed to be added to the soup to get a variety of different textures. you add as much or as little as you like.
>>
>>8463925
Was it actually cilantro or do you just not know what Thai basil is?
>>
>>8464024
both
>>
I dump all of the basil and lime in once I'm done eating all the protein and some of the noodles

If I have some basil left over I'll just eat it
>>
>>8463964
oh u
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.