[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap food. Chicken tacos. 1 pound of chicken breasts, packet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: tacos.png (1MB, 730x707px) Image search: [Google]
tacos.png
1MB, 730x707px
Cheap food.
Chicken tacos. 1 pound of chicken breasts, packet of seasoning (I'm a slug), some corn tortillas... like $4.

Salad mix for $5 at the farmer's market lasts nearly all week long. Add $4 of cherry tomatoes from the tomato guy

Bean and cheese burritos... eggs... steamed veggies...

What's your go-to poverty chow?
>>
dirt cookies
dumpster diving
beans and rice
canned pork anus
lobster
>>
>>8458179

Yo, dont cut your chicken before cooking. Cook the breast and cut it afterwards.
>>
>>8458184
If you are cooking in sauce you should cut first
>>
potato, bacon, leek chowda. 1 dinner + 3 lunches for about 15 bones
>>
>>8458179
mujadara ( rice & lentils with caramelized onions )
Rice & beans dishes ( black beans, pinto beans, red beans, etc)
Gumbo
Bacon & lentil soup
chili
>>
>>8458184
don't forget to let it rest, jack
>>
>>8458179
>$5+ for a single meal
>cheap

jfc anon have you ever heard of lentils
>>
>>8458179
i also use taco seasoning with chicken breast but it comes out better if you cook them in the oven. just mix the chicken with the seasoning and a bit of oil and bake em at 350-400ish for 20 or so minutes.
>>
>Chili
1 large can of red beans
1 large can of condensed tomato soup + water
1 tube of ground turkey
Seasoning (This is cheap because I have a store that sells it in bulk. I can get tons of seasoning for under a dollar.)
Cook your turkey until brown. Bring tomato soup and beans to boil, turn down heat, add chicken and seasoning, simmer to taste. This recipe also works with canned tuna, but I prefer to switch out the tomato soup for Rotel canned dice tomatoes with lime and cilantro if I use tuna.
>Depression-era BBQ Chicken (This is an old recipe.)
1 can tomato soup
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Pour this over chicken at 300 degrees covered for 45 minutes. To save money, chicken thighs are the cheapest cut.
>Curry
1 cubed sweet potato
1 cup diced onions
5 cloves cut/crushed garlic
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons curry powder
Pinch of sea salt
1 can coconut milk
Oil
Chicken as preferred. (Once again, chicken thighs are cheapest.)
Blend melted butter with curry; add coconut milk. Cook onions, chicken, and garlic in oil separately. Add cubed sweet potatoes to sauce, heat, add chicken/onion/garlic mixture, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

If you have a deli, pick up an 1 dollar box of stuffing, and some chicken tenders on sale at end of day (usually 1-2 dollars for several pieces.) English muffins are excellent toasted and topped with store bought chicken salad. The same can be done with tuna and sliced cheese. Knorr makes the 1$ pasta sides which are nice as a snack. There's also grilled cheese and tomato soup which makes an excellent cheap meal. I guess I could add more, but that should do it for now.
>>
>>8458629
add turkey* Oops.

Remember that any meal that called for ground beef can be switched out for ground turkey. It's 2 dollars for an entire tube versus the 4-5 you might spend on beef or chicken.

The brand 'Homekist' also makes really cheap family size packs of oatmeal or sandwich cookies which is good for a sweet tooth. If you live near one, hit up the dollar tree. Find out when shipment days are, they get expensive stuff for 1 dollar at times. Big Lots is another great place to find real food for discount prices.
>>
And the biggest tip of all, hit up the food bank(s) in your area before going to the grocery store. What they give out may not seem like anything worthwhile, but if you wait to go shopping afterward, you'll realize you can save money by picking items to go with what the food bank provides. Mine often provides canned tomatoes, soups, and beans which means I only have to pay 2 dollars on meat to make chili for example.
>>
File: Foldawonton.jpg (18KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Foldawonton.jpg
18KB, 400x600px
I just thought of one other I don't make anymore because I don't have a freezer to keep it. My aunt taught me to make these. Nasoya sells the wrappers at Walmart for about 2.50 a packet. It's in the vegetable aisle, don't go to a fancy organic store to buy them. These aren't 'cheap' to buy the base materials, but since you can freeze them, they go a long way added to other dishes, even 20 cent ramen.
>Wontons
1 pound of ground meat (Pork is traditional, but you can use beef, chicken, or turkey.)
1 packet of wonton wrappers
1 good size container of dried chopped green onions
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Ziploc bags
Combine pepper, salt, green onions, and ground meat in a bowl, stir counter-clockwise or clockwise. Whatever you choose, stir in one direction only.
Take small (extremely tiny, like a tiny bit bigger then your thumbnail) mounds of mixture, and place in wonton wrapper. Fold wonton wrapper according to picture, use water to hold it together. Done.

You should be able to make 30-40 wontons per sitting. Put the finished product in the freezer immediately. There's no need to thaw before cooking. Boiling or baking them is the usual process. However, for a high calorie count, you can fry them in oil for a more substantial product. You use a very tiny amount of meat because otherwise it'll break open and fall apart when you cook it. If this happens, you overstuffed the wrapper. Boil them in broth to add extra flavor as opposed to water.
>>
>>8458650
>tube
slightly off topic but am I the only one who always seems to find way more gristle in tubes of ground turkey and beef than in styrofoam packs?
>>
>>8458748
I think the brand I've always picked up is Jennie-O. I picked up some Butterball ground turkey the other day and it was awful. I mean, there's the little... stringy bits if that's what you are talking about in the ground turkey. (They kind of look like 'flat' strings?) I just take them out while I'm cooking it. It's pretty easy to spot them while the meat is raw.

I guess I just don't complain. It is a 2 dollar tube of meat. Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
I will say if I have the money to buy beef, I always buy it in the Styrofoam package or at the meat counter at Earth-fare if it is on sale. (It's worth checking, sometimes the ground chuck goes on sale as cheap as you'd find it at Walmart.) The tubed ground beef really isn't worth it because it really is full of gristle and it is only a dollar less then the Styrofoam in most cases.

Don't buy the organic meat they started carrying at Walmart. I bought it a few months back for a special meal, and it must be the worst grade of organic meat there is. It was full of literal pieces of bone. It was horrible.
>>
>>8458753
no I was talking more along the lines of what >>8458778 is describing
>>
>>8458826
>>8458827
ah ok I understand
>>
>>8458816
Both posts were me. I buy turkey in a tube, but I buy beef in the Styrofoam. What brand turkey have you bought? Mind you, I live in a rural area so even the cheap meats in my area are better quality then what you would get in an urban city.
>>
If you do live in a rural area, it's cheaper for companies to pay the local farmers for meat then to truck it over from a factory farm because of gas prices. Even our cheap meats may have came from the same farmer selling meat to an organic or specialty store. In the city, pretty much everything comes from a huge factory farm which lowers the quality immensely since there isn't exactly an abundance of small-time farmers nearby.
>>
>>8458839
I've bought honeysuckle white, jennie-o and whatever that brand is that aldi's sells. can't remember which one(s) I bought in a tube though.
>>
>>8458856
Try the Jennie-O in a tube. I prefer them over Butterball and Honeysuckle White. Other then removing the little strings, I can't say I ever remember finding bone and gristle in their tubed meat. If I ever did, it was once in a blue moon.
>>
>>8458193
Confirmed as slug
>>
>>8458861
ok thanks
>>
*pantry cleaner stirfry*

6 cups basmati
pan fried onion, hot peppers
*mystery pantry item* - some ancient canned beets
stirfry together, add 8 eggs
hot sauce and seasoning

Makes about 4 days worth of healthy, high protein dirt cheap stirfry

tastes like shit though.
>>
>>8458179
Chicken, rice, potatoes, and a yellow curry meal kit if I'm tired cause work.

If I'm frisky, sausage chili stretches well. Chicken stir fry over rice, including onions, green beans, baby corn, water chestnuts, and chicken obviously. Served over rice.

Another thing I don't have a name for is: ground beef, 1can rotel, 1can frenched green beans, 1can dark red kidney beans. Uh, garlic and onions, I think some water and a tiny splash of milk to calm down the rotel. Served over rice as usual. It's not the worst and it all combines into something much more stretchable than you might think. It won't be delicious every time or maybe any time but it's like five bucks for two weeks of food.

I'm not giving specifics on the procedures cause really you should be able to figure it out and I think you'll find it tastes better when it's you who did the legwork anyway.
>>
>>8458941
>4 days
or a single meal for me
>>
File: 8170948596_071bc2400c_b.jpg (529KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
8170948596_071bc2400c_b.jpg
529KB, 1024x685px
>>8458179
Most Indian food consists of spices and cheap veggies.
Buy the "main" spices like cumin, turmeric and coriander, 1 Ibs of each spice and your set for a long time. you will need other spices but these three are the leads in a fair amount of dishes.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.