[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I followed the steps online for cooking tuna steak and it burned.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5662.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5662.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I followed the steps online for cooking tuna steak and it burned. What did I do wrong?

So I rubbed it with olive oil and salt and pepper.

I heated and iron skillet over high for 2 minutes.

I let it cook on each side for 1.5 minutes per side.

Apparently, the skillet was too hot. :/ Isn't this what I am supposed to do?
>>
File: IMG_5663.jpg (417KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5663.jpg
417KB, 1080x1920px
:'(
>>
extra virgin olive oil?
>>
>>8450874
>>8450878
>:'(
>:/

Neck yourself op
>>
>>8450874
>heated and iron skillet over high for 2 minutes
why?
>>
Slightly lower temp next time around. And you might want to use a different oil, since olive oil is easier to burn than canola, coconut, etc.

No matter how long a recipe tells you to heat a piece of meat, if you start seeing a deep brown color, just flip it or take it off. Your eyes will always be more accurate than the recipe.
>>
>>8450883

What's wrong with cute little emoticons?

Don't neck yourself OP I'm sorry you fucked your steak up (ಥ﹏ಥ)
>>
>>8450896
kill yourself
>>
kys
>>
>>8450874
Is this your first time cooking? An experienced cook would know when something is burning because fucking smoke you pleb
>>
>>8450897
(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง
>>
>>8450874

holy shit.. you are such a dumbass.

why would you arbitrarily heat a pan for two whole minutes? why would you use the oil with basically the lowest smoke point? why would you cook it for ONE AND A HALF MINUTES per side?

dude, splash enough canola oil into the pan to coat the bottom of the pan.. high flame until oil begins to LIGHTLY smoke.. turn down to medium/high, sear for like 15-20 seconds per side..

i sincerely hope you feel shitty that an animal died for us and gave us its meat just to have some faggot like you completely defile it.
>>
>>8450874
thats probably because you have a stainless steel pan. you never leave food alone in those kinds of pans. i just heat up my lunch from the fridge with a stainless steel pan and it turned hot in 5 mins.
>>
>>8450903
Not even an experienced cook, just someone with more than half a brain
>>
Millenials....
>>
>olive oil
Jeez, you remind me of my old manchild roommate in college who tried to use my good olive oil for frying a frozen solid chicken breast but just wound up burning it and filling the two floor apartment with smoke. I left him unattended for just one evening.
>>
>>8451924
>assuming he means evoo instead of a normal refined cooking oil
>>
>>8451931
No, you don't fry with olive oil. Period.
>>
>>8451935
>Italian cuisine does not exist
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 1536x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 1536x364px
>>8451935
ITT; /ck/ believes its own bullshit.
>>
>>8451938
A good Italian fries meatballs with olive oil delicately on low heat and then finishes the cooking process off in the sauce. For instance.

OP takes a frozen tuna steak, chucks it on a cast iron with smoking olive oil, and then is surprised to find it burnt two minutes later.
>>
>>8451953
So you can fry with olive oil?
>>
>>8451947
> image.jpg
> It said so on the Internets it must be true.
>>
>>8451974
>Italian cuisine doesn't exist
Retard.
>>
>>8451935
>No, you don't fry with olive oil. Period.
>>8451967
>So you can fry with olive oil?

Nothing wrong with frying with olive oil if you know what you're doing.

http://www.prevention.com/food/cooking-with-olive-oil
>>
>>8451967
I think the point is you don't 'fry' with it like an idiot, you pedantic bastard.
>>
Not all olive oil is extra virgin or virgin, you colossal cucks. Refined olive oil has a smoke point in the even higher than other common pan frying oils like sunflower or peanut oil.
>>
>>8452026

Unless you import some italian shit with an expiration date, ALL OLIVE OIL IS SUNFLOWER OIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hp60oCIknk
>>
File: 1483721539714.jpg (36KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
1483721539714.jpg
36KB, 600x517px
>>8450892
>>8451041
the skin will stick to a skillet if it isn't hot enough.
but smoking oil is too hot and will burn, the edges burnt because the fish wasn't pressed down

get pan hot
add oil
if it smokes, wash it out start again
you want the oil to stay together in the pan but not smoke
DRY the skin of the fish with paper towel
put fish in pan with a weight on top (this will stop the edges cooking quicker and thus burning)
turn temperature down
>mfw no fish skin will crisp in 1.5 minutes
cook as long as you need
flip it if you want, i prefer to finish it in oven
put in bottom shelf of oven
flip
finish cooking
baste in butter if u cba
>>
>>8452044
Spain produces more olive oil than Italy.
>>
>>8452044
Full of shit: The Post.

Regardless of some moron's youtube, California olive oil is legit, mong.
>>
You cooked it at far too high a heat.

My method for cooking tuna steak;

>Steak, de-bonned and at least 3/4 inch thick.
>Non stick pan, medium heat, either refined coconut oil or standard veg oil, just a little bit.
>When pan is at temp lay the steak in, cook for 1 minute each side for a pink centre.
>If it seems like its burning at any point turn it down to a lower heat.

Season with a bit of salt, lemon juice and a bit of melted butter.
>>
>>8452046

why the fuck would a piece of tun a still have the skin on it?

of course there's a completely different process with cooking fish with skin on but what kind of oil are you talking about? canola will start to give off a little bit of "vapor" well before it full on smokes and becomes acrid.

>heat canola to that point
>turn off flame
>place fish skin side down AWAY from you
>blast it again while pressing it down with your hand on full heat
>turn down to medium/low
>forget about it for a couple minutes
>turn heat up, throw butter and aromatics in
>baste to preferred doneness

there's no need for any of that with tuna.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.