[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanted to make a chicken stock to try and make some sweet udon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3082.jpg (83KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3082.jpg
83KB, 480x720px
I wanted to make a chicken stock to try and make some sweet udon soup. However, a lot of methods I've come across suggest placing an entire raw chicken in with the water and veg, then removing the chicken's meat to use for another recipe. However, that seems kind of gross - I don't anticipate boiled chicken would taste good at all.

Should I just use two or three carcasses and save all the bones or should I use an entire chicken?
>>
>>8445693
Kudos for making your own asian style stock and keeping it really traditional.

Good chicken stock though does need some meat, but yes, the meat gets spent, tough, overcooked for consuming, though you can anyway use it anyway, just know it's not awesome texture. I'd at least section your whole bird to expose some marrow, and maybe carve off the white meat breasts and set them aside for now. There's no good reason to leave the chicken whole though.

There is bone broth, roasted broth...a few methods to make stock.
>>
>>8445693
>However, that seems kind of gross - I don't anticipate boiled chicken would taste good at all.

I make this recipe whenever i'm sick: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-noodle-soup-recipe0.html. The distinction between simmering and boiling chicken is a pretty big one. The chicken itself has the flavor of the aromatics in it and while a little bland without salt, is by no means poor tasting.
>>
>>8445693
The bones definitely bring the most flavor. I usually use a mix of about 60% backs/necks, 30% wings, and 10% feet for stock. If you want mild, clean flavored stock, just put them in raw, cover with cold water, bring it just up to a simmer, then dump off the water and rinse the bones. Add mirepoix, cover again with cold water, and simmer 3 or 4 hours. If you want rich, robust tasting stock, roadt yhe bones until nicely browned, and dump them in your pot, then do the same with your mirepoix, tossing tgem in the rendered chicken fat to coat first. Roasting means you don't really need to blanch the bones so once everything's roasted you can just cover with cold water and simmer.

I tend to make quite large batches of stock and freeze it for use in multiple dishes, so i don't add herbs or anything to it at this stage but rather infise the stock before use in a dish with aromatics that make sense for the dish. If you're just making it for one particular thing though, I'd throw some suitable aromatics in there as well while it's simmering.
>>
>>8445693
OP, I keep a whole cut up chicken in my freezer at all times, and a box of matzo ball mix in the cupboard.
I put the chicken pieces into a pressure cooker, a handful of peppercorns, some onions with the peels, and celery or carrot if I have it. Lid up and pressure cook 30 minutes. I pretty much throw the bones, skin, chicken meat out, and add my matzo balls to simmer until done.

Pressure cooker is where its at if you plan some stock making as a routine. When my chilled stock comes out of the fridge on day two it's all gelatin, rich and awesome, and so golden in color too.
>>
>>8445693
>sweet udon soup
>sweet
i guess you don't mean that literally?
>>
>>8445723
>The bones definitely bring the most flavor.
The culinary world disagrees with you
>>
>>8445731
No I meant "sweet" as in "radical" or "cool"

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming

>>8445705
>section whole bird to expose marrow
Like chopping the bones in half or is breaking down the chicken enough?
>>
>>8445693
>Should I just use two or three carcasses and save all the bones
Yes
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.