[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two weeks ago I made salami from pork which is now hanging in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: salami.jpg (35KB, 400x335px) Image search: [Google]
salami.jpg
35KB, 400x335px
Two weeks ago I made salami from pork which is now hanging in my pantry to dry (not smoked).

People everywhere tell you to be careful with minced meat and that it will go bad almost instantly. Yet those 2kg are hanging there with no signs of going bad. The meat had lots of air contact when I prepared it, and I knead it with bare hands. Also, it's not overly salted (30g only).

Is that "be careful with minced meat" just scaremongering?
>>
I don't think you want to take food safety advice from people on /ck/

For your own health, I suggest researching on Google
>>
>>8444632
To be safe when doing long fermentations of meat you really need a curing chamber with a digital thermostat and humidifier with humidistat. Many people convert old refrigerators for the cheapest version. Humidity is critical to keep the surface from drying to quickly and also keeping a damp enough environment for the bacteria culture you added to get a strong foothold before bad guys can get active. The website meatsandsausages.com has a detailed explanation of the procedures for safely making dry fermented sausages as well as myriad recipes.

I would not recommend making dry fermented sausages without a curing chamber and close attention to safe procedures. You can make semi-dry like summer sausage, pepperoni or even salami by adding the bacteria FL-C and holding in the oven with the pilot light on and a tray of water for 24 hours and then cooking to an internal temperature of 154F. But that is a very different thing from a dry uncooked sausage like a true salami.
>>
>>8444776
*Also I saw no mention of you adding nitrates or a specific bacteria which is extremely disturbing and makes your situation quite dangerous.
>>
>>8444632
People made salami for thousands of years without killing themselves.The only reason modern regulations are so strict is because in the early part of the 20th Century the meatpacking industry had become so disgusting that Upton Sinclair's the Jungle shocked the shit out of the country by exposing it. People demanded something be done, so tight regulations were imposed based on the scientific understanding of the times. These regulations favored large scale industrialized production, basically putting small producers using traditional methods out of business.

All my life I've had Italian and Polish friends who made their own sausages by traditional methods. It's not that difficult, nor is it dangerous if you know what you're doing. The reason it's looked down upon is because unscrupulous manufacturers in the early 20th Century were making some really dicey shit that did make people sick.
>>
>>8444776
Well my pantry is a rather cold room and I keep the window a little bit open so the humidity stays low (currently ~35% rel and it's a snowy winter here).
Every once a week I soak a paper towel with vinegar and rub the salami clean (even though I see no signs of mold or anything).

>>8444789
I just added salt, garlic, pepper, some chili and a tiny bit of nutmeg.
Also, I made some smaller sausages in pork intestines and they are rather dry already (about 3-4cm diameter when fresh, now 2-3cm). Tried one two days ago and they taste just fine. This is my first salami though (about 8cm diameter).

>>8444807
That's what I was wondering about. I learned it from my grandmother, who made smoked pork ham and sausages at home. When she was young her father even butchered at home; that's where she learned it from. Only in winter though, because temperature and humidity.
>>
>>8444807
>if you know what you're doing

This is the key. But if you fail to follow safe procedures making dry fermented sausages with regard to humidity and temperature control, use of the appropriate bacteria culture and nitrates, measuring moisture loss, etc., it is very dangerous. The word "botulism" has as it's root the latin for sausage.

Making fresh or smoked cooked sausages is much less exacting. Making dry uncooked sausage is a completely different activity with far greater potential for danger.
>>
>>8444807
>People made salami for thousands of years

And most fails to live past 35...
>>
>>8444867
>smoked cooked sausages is much less exacting.
Most folks I know who casually make their own sausages smoke them.
>Making dry uncooked sausage is a completely different activity with far greater potential for danger.
I only know two people who do this, and they're both massive food nerds who studied up on it and are meticulous about their process.
>>
>>8444831
Here, for example, is the Genoa Salami recipe for 1kg of meat from meatsandsausages.com. Notice specifically the addition of Cure #2 and the specific bacteria culture. Also notice the temperature and humidity as well as the measurement of weight loss to determine completion. Those are not really negotiable if you want to ensure safety.

I'm not trying to be an ass because I make my own sausages and admire other people who do too. But I really think you should stick to making fresh and smoked cooked sausages until you've done some serious research on making dry sausages.

salt 28 g
Cure #2 2.5 g
dextrose (glucose), 0.2% 2.0 g
sugar, 0.3% 3.0 g
white pepper 3.0 g
garlic powder 1.0 g
OR fresh garlic 3.5 g
T-SPX culture 0.12 g use scale

Instructions

Grind pork and back fat through ⅜” plate (10 mm). Grind beef with ⅛” plate.
Mix all ingredients with ground meat.
Stuff firmly into beef middles or 46-60 mm protein lined fibrous casings. Make links 16-20” long.
Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
Dry at 16-12º C (60-54º F), 85-80% humidity for 2-3 months. The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), 75% humidity.
>>
>>8444881
this is a meme. Average age of death was low bc of infant/child death, if you made it out of infancy you could easily live to 55-60 or more
>>
>>8444632
Op, post pics of your shenanigans for our delight
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.