[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All my adult life I have been surrounded by the PTFE memepans.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: pan.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
All my adult life I have been surrounded by the PTFE memepans.

This past fall I found these solid looking stainless steel pans and they turn out to be just fine.
I can cook the shit out of my food with any tools I need, I can scrub the living shit out of them (but usually a brush handles even the hardest stuff pretty quickly).

Every couple of years some new meme-nonstick thing comes out and its all the rage and in every store, just to hear form people later that is breaks down just the same.

Why aren't stainless steel pans in every store instead.
>>
Because you can't cook anything gently in them. They suck for eggs/fish. that's when you reach of a well seasoned (ie nonstick) carbon steel. Carbon steel also sears better than stainless.
>>
>>8441647
>Why aren't stainless steel pans in every store instead.
Are they not? Where are you shopping
>>
>>8441647

People falling for PTFE memepans has little to do with PTFE pans in general. Tefal skillets last years, are relatively cheap and work fine for everything. Stainless is annoying for eggs, fish etc.

PTFE pans are the only all-rounder.
>>
>>8441678
>work fine for everything.
except for pan sauces as they do not pick up suc to create fond. Really, carbon steel pans are the best all around pan. You just can cook acidic food in them for a long time, but they are fine for acidic pan sauces.
>>
>>8441647
>PTFE memepans.
When I stopped using them for a while then tried cooking with one again I swear I could taste the pan on the food. Same thing happened when I stopped using rapeseed oil. When I tried it again it gave everything cooked with it an awful taste - not a strong taste, but an awful one nonetheless. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't notice if you were used to it, but once you get away from it you notice it. It's like walking into someone's house where they use Glade Plug In's. They're used to the smell, so they don't notice it, but to anybody else it's awful.
>>
>>8441666
As far as day to day goes, carbon steel needs to be babysitted even more than PTFE.
Basic stuff like tomato totally fucks with it.
Unless if you really had 2 sets and use each accordingly to the situation.

For the really tacky stuff I usually just make sure I grease it enough, and grease is always tasty (cheap crap oils need not apply).

>>8441668
Perhaps, usually its an entire wall of nonstick, plenty stainless ports and accessories and maybe a pan or two that can usually be just flimsy as fuck.
I'm talking mostly about various department stores where normies usually get their cookware.
>>
>>8441697
>Basic stuff like tomato totally fucks with it.
This is incorrect. Vinegar doesn't even fuck with it.
>chinese use woks
>chinese cook with rice wine
>woks are made with carbon steel
>no fucks givin

You just use them everyday, there is no babying.
Since they are nonstick you just add hot water and wipe them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
>>
>>8441678
I have destroyed several Tefal pans from various price ranges.
They last longer.

But they don't last.
>>
>>8441694

I'd sooner believe you could taste stainless.

Chromium is a lot more reactive than PTFE.
>>
>>8441708
I put all forms of tomato in my pans all the time.
Just seeing your video reminded me how much I love peperonata and caponata, and they just shown how something similar completely strips it.
I have seen it happen on my carbon wok that I have to babysit.
I do eggs less than once a month.
>>
>>8441723
It's a distinctive smell that comes off the pan when heating it. My All Clad and cast iron pans do not smell like that when heated. It's really subtle in the food, but the taste is there, especially in dishes cooked with tomatoes. It's more subtle in my Calphalon pans, but if I stop using them for a while I notice the smell/taste when I go back. When I'm in the pattern of using them regularly I don't notice it at all.
>>
>>8441749
but ptfe can't go in the oven like carbon steel can.
And it can't create suc/fond which is far more important than having to easily reuse your pan to reseason after doing an italian dish. The stripped seasoning did not create off flavors.
>>
>>8441763
Inox btw
>>
>>8441782
huh? inox is another name for stainless steel.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.