[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am currently making a soup. Soup is one of the healthiest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170107_142233.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170107_142233.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
I am currently making a soup.

Soup is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods there is.

What does /ck/ think of my soup?
>>
It looks a little dry
>>
>>8441095
What is it going to become?
>>
>>8441095
I recommend roasting your vegetables first, it really improves the soup flavour.

Maybe I'll make soup tomorrow... good idea OP.
>>
If there's no bone marrow in it I ain't having it
>>
>>8441095
>What does /ck/ think of my soup?

Insufficient information. If you dump water in there then it's going to suck. If you have some good homemade stock then thumbs up!
>>
>>8441122
He could water then blend it acutally.
>>
>>8441132
Sure he could. But it would still be lacking in flavor and texture compared to using a good stock.
>>
Look up how to make vegetable stock, mire poix and holy trinity.

From this you can build wonderfull soup.
>>
Will that squash fit on a spoon?
>>
looks like a shitty start to a mire poix.
>>
>>8441095
Cut an onion in half and put it in with the skin still on. And roast that shit before you add water ffs
What seasoning are you using?
>>
>>8441143
In terms of flavor, I might agree as I don't see and seasoning. But in terms of texture, I would have to disagree. I don't look to soup for texture and more than I look to water for taste, but that might just be me.
>>
>>8441156
Should also mention that there are many many more local varieties of these base ingredients.
Here in sweden we call it soppgrönsaker and its pretty much equal parts carrot, celery, parsnip and leek. Sometimes rutabaga is added too.
>>
>>8441122
>If you dump water in there then it's going to suck. If you have some good homemade stock then thumbs up!
>He doesn't know soup makes its own stock
Ever heard of vegetable stock?
>>
>>8441172
>I don't look to soup for texture

You haven't noticed that water-based soups are less pleasant to eat than ones that are based on a meaty stock? The gelatin has a rather obvious effect on the texture (and just to trigger the spergs out there: mouthfeel).
>>
>>8441191
>Ever heard of vegetable stock?
Sure.

Vegetable soup is even better if you make it with vegetable stock instead of water.

Using water adds no flavor. Adding stock (vegetable or otherwise) does.

>>>He doesn't know soup makes its own stock
Enjoy your bland soup. It's much better when you make it with stock instead of water.
>>
>>8441191
The point of making and using stock is to get the yummy tastes and aromas from long cooking times without having your vegetable or meat turn mushy or fall apart.
>>
>>8441203
>Vegetable soup is even better if you make it with vegetable stock instead of water.

Vegetable stock is made with water simmered for 45 minutes on vegetables
Vegetable soup is made with water simmered for 45
minutes on vegetables

you just don't get it do you?
>>
>>8441205
>cooking your veg stock more than an hour

see >>8441213 as cited from the Culinary Institute of America textbook.
>>
>>8441213
>you just don't get it do you?

Lol, you're missing it bro.

If I make my veggie soup with water, then the only vegetable flavor in the soup is that from the veggies in the soup itself.

If I make veggie soup with veggie stock, then I get the flavor from the veggies in the soup PLUS the ones I used to make the stock.

>>8441218
The guy you're replying to didn't specify vegetable stock. Meat-based stocks take longer then 45 min.
>>
>>8441095
>be OP
>think I am an awesome cook and brag to everyone about it
>crave soup
>decide to start making soup
>take picture of the first step of making soup
>post it online
>hurr durr i am an awesome cool, rate my soup.
>>
>>8441227
>then I get the flavor from the veggies in the soup PLUS the ones I used to make the stock.
Muddling flavors. Great idea!
Soups are best when they are "clean" with bright acidity. Even Michael Ruhlman says onion soup should be made with just water, onion and a bit of sherry vinegar.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/10/french-onion-soup-recipe/
>>
>>8441213
>you just don't get it do you?

then why does the very book that you just posted a page from call for using stock as opposed to water for its soup recipes?
>>
>>8441234
Not that anon but French Onion Soup is notoriously heavy, so that's an exception that doesn't prove your rule. The recommendation could simply be for that soup alone.

Ruhlman says:

>wine is on hand or some vinegar. Do not be tempted to use stock! Even if it’s really good homemade stock, it will detract from the economy of the dish, which can easily become too heavy and cloying.

This is evidence that his complaint lies with the effects of stock on this particular soup.

>Most recipes for onion soup I’ve seen call for stock or broth, and yet this changes the soup completely—it becomes beef-onion soup or chicken-onion soup.

And this is further evidence that his complaint is not with, say, making a vegetable stock in advance for a vegetable soup, but rather adding a meat broth or stock to a dish specifically created without meat as an ingredient.
>>
is that cantaloupe
>>
File: ho made chicken noodle.jpg (59KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
ho made chicken noodle.jpg
59KB, 720x960px
>>8441095
love it
>>
>>8441249
>too heavy and cloying.
Yes, that occurs in every vegetable soup.

>make vegetable stock
Why? soup makes it's own stock when simmered in water for about 45minutes. The only good argument for this was the texture of the vegetables, but that goes to hell with leftover soup anyway.
>>
ITT: people who doesnt understand how stock works.

Flavours change during cooking, simmering a stock overnight will be completely diffrent from letting it sit 4 hours. Even vegetable stock can benefit from this, maybe not over night but a few hours, the thing here is reducing the stock.
>>
File: what1.png (40KB, 239x196px) Image search: [Google]
what1.png
40KB, 239x196px
>>8441249
Derailing a little bit, but I've never heard a complaint about french onion soup being too 'beefy' before. Is this a common opinion or is Ruhlman talking out of his ass?
>>
>>8441266
> ITT: people who doesnt understand how stock works.

buy low sell high, yeah?
>>
>>8441285
Yeah, because we always give equities advice on a food and cooking board.
Retard.
>>
File: 20170106_130639-2016x1512.jpg (438KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_130639-2016x1512.jpg
438KB, 2016x1512px
Some cabbage soup I just made. R8?
>>
>>8441277
That quote coming from Ruhlman really surprises me. His meat curing advice has always been quite good. I can't imagine a french onion soup without a rich homemade beef stock.
>>
>>8441590
Looks comfy for a cold winters day.
>>
>>8441590
a bit of fresh parsley or chives would be nice
also i dont see any grease drops
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.