[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of pans do restaurants use? One person told me aluminum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8625.jpg (206KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8625.jpg
206KB, 2000x2000px
What kind of pans do restaurants use? One person told me aluminum or stainless steel. Another carbon steel pans. Which one is better? I'm going to restaurant supply store this weekend.

Pic related, carbon steel pan. Non seasoned.
>>
>>8436696
>What kind of pans do restaurants use?
Varies wildly. Cheap aluminium pans have the advantage of being semi-disposable. When the teflon is dead (if you needed it) or the pan is warped you just throw it away and get a new one. I like having a mix of aluminium and cast pans available. Never seen the point of stainless for frying pans, nor carbon steel.
>>
>>8436703

I want something that's built with decent quality. It's going to be used in the home and not going to be beat up. I was thinking a carbon steel pan from Vollrath.
>>
>>8436719

Restaurants use aluminum for the reasons the other anon mentioned, along with cast iron and carbon steel for more specialized uses.

If you're looking for long term home use you want stainless steel. If you're not sure if carbon steel is what you're looking for, it's not what you're looking for.
>>
Carbon steel is what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
>>
>>8436719
They warp and buckle from uneven heating very easily. Like I said, I can not see the point of that particular meme. They're lighter than your typical iron pan, but that's about it. Aluminium is way lighter by far if that's even a concern. And much cheaper. Patina is common in restaurants in my part of the world. Thick aluminium, decent teflon coating and riveted handles. Cost <20€.
Most anything would work for home use though.
>>
>>8436696
Carbon steel is like cast iron it has uses but you don't want it as your main cookware. Carbon steel is for high heat quick browning i.e. Woks or searing meat and finishing in oven. Go with a good thick stainless for everyday pots and get a few specialty pans. A good cast iron skillet and Dutch oven, CS wok Cantonese style for multi use and a medium Teflon crepe pan.
>>
What the fuck is a seasoned pan?

Do you put salt on it or some shit?
>>
>>8436772
Pans are seasoned with oil dingus
>>
>>8436772
polymerization of lipids.
>>
>>8436774
>seasoned
>seasoned means to have seasoning applied at some point. Seasoning requires seasonings.
>oil is not seasoning.
>>
>>8436772

wat
>>
>>8436780
>>8436772
I am just thinking of seasoned veterans of the Iraq war, coming home after fighting in the Turmeric Gulf.
>>
I'm looking for something that heats up quickly. Does aluminum or stainless steel heat up quicker?
>>
>>8436812
Depends on what the core of you stainless steel cookware is made of. It is never stainless steel. That's a surfacing material only.
It's likely an aluminium core with some other stuff sandwiched in to prevent it from warping and delaminating.
>>
>>8436696
At home, you don't want what restaurants use. Home cooks and restaurants have different goals in mine; mainly, home cooks want longevity from their pans, as they don't make money using them, they receive less abuse from use, and they need more variety of use from their pans.

As an example, at my restaurant, we have a "fajita pan". It's used for fajitas and nothing else. This is simply because it sits on the fire all fucking day and gets warped as fuck because it's cheap aluminum junk. But that's fine, because we're just cooking batches of fajitas on it, which don't need a flat surface. The pan basically looks like a taco most of the time, and about once a week gets stood on to help somewhat flatten it again. It gets replace about ever 3 months.

Does that sound like something you have in mind?
>>
>>8437143
idk why I said aluminum, it's a carbon steel pan. point remains though.
>>
At the restaurant i work in we us aluminium for nearly everything. A couple of non-stick pans for scrambled eggs etc.. and a few stainless pans for anything acidic such as tomato bases sauces and reductions.

Thick-ish aluminium makes for the best frying pans since it spreads heat so evenly and heats up quickly, but it can burn food if you use too high a heat, it can also stick if your not careful.

A tip i learned to keep things from sticking to bare pans is to first heat the pan on whatever heat needed, then when at temp put the oil in, then let it get back to temp. It really helps.

I've never seen cast iron pans in any professional kitchen I've worked in. They need far too much care, are heavy, and heat far too slowly. I've seen carbon steel a few times but normally in grill houses etc.. where the focus is on searing meat at high heat.
>>
>>8436812
Why?

Just get a carbon steel pan in two sizes 12in and 8in. Use them until you know more about cooking. Your stove burner is more important than pan thickness or material.
>>
>>8436798
More like turd-meric
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.