[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hungarian cuisine Have you tried it? Did you like it? If not,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: 6498.jpg (86KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
6498.jpg
86KB, 800x533px
Hungarian cuisine

Have you tried it?
Did you like it?
If not, do you want to?
What do you know about it?
>>
>Hungarian cuisine

Reminds me of a story

>go to Hungarian Resturant
>Hulking thing in a dress greats me at the door
>smells of week old lunchmeat ham
>hairy all over despite outwardly womanly appearance
>resturant is a repurposed chip shop
>floor is always sticky
>walls of restaurant are covered with old pictures of soviet hungry, mostly of the 1960's revolution
>They served three drinks, water, beer, and Brandy
>Fat old man is my waiter, talks to me in a pidgin English while yelling in Hungarian at the chef
>Chef looks like a clone of the waiter, yells back in Hungarian, and then begins trying to communicate with the kitchen staff, most of whom were Indian
>All of them collectively knew about three words of English, and neither of them can communicate to the other
>Am served on a chipped plate, the food had no presentation, and looks like if a goat shit in a bowl
>still tasted amazing

Hungarian food is amazing. It's like Slavic food had a child with Spanish food, but with actual flavour besides salt. Much like the Hungarian people, it's hardy and probably contains some goat. If you can stomach going into weird ass restaurants then give it a shot
>>
Their cherry dessert soup is absolutely top tier.

I don't remember what it's called though.
>>
Slovakia here, Hungary can suck a dick.
>>
>>8424575
10/10 post anon, made me lol
>>
My great grandma was from Hungary. She was an awful person, but she gave me chicken paprikash and stuffed cabbage, so I guess I should be thankful.
>>
ive never had it but id try it if given the chance
>>
>>8424671
Hungary here, Slovakia can suck a dick.
>>
>>8424528
Never heard of Hungarian food. I assume it involves peppers? I'd love to try it though.
>>
>>8424871

You've never heard of Goulash? Or you weren't aware that it's Hungarian in origin?
>>
I really like quite a bit of hungarian food. some of my favorite ingredients are onions, garlic, paprika and sour cream so no wonder I like it

porkolt, krumplifozelek, and lecso are some of my faovirtes
>>
>>8424528
What are some good Hungarian dishes besides goulash?

Where do I find decent recipes?
>>
>>8425262
>Where do I find decent recipes?

I don't know much about Hungarian cusine, but whenever I've been researching foreign dishes I've always had the best luck finding recipes by searching in the native language rather than English. Set your google search settings to search in Hungarian. Use google translate to create your search terms & to understand the recipes you find.
>>
Hungarian Goulash is 10/10
>>
>>8425289
Sounds like a good idea. Don't want to use a allrecipes housewife tier recipe.
>>
>>8425289

this.

another good idea is to do a bit of research and see if there exist any well-regarded english-language cookbooks for hungarian food, then get said book.
>>
>>8425262
http://aprosef.hu/

this site seems pretty decent. this guy's recipes have pictures for every step, and the ingredient lists almost always google translate well
http://aprosef.hu/user/3

fair warning, it seems like it's the hungarian equivalent of allrecipes, so you could run into garbage recipes pretty easily.

culinaria hungary is a pretty good book, but it's almost more of a history of hungarian food than a cook book. still has recipes, but they're not its strong suite

wish I knew some more. I'm sure there are some pretty easy to find pdf of books out there, but I just don't know of them.
>>
>>8424528

Best fucking paprika there is
>>
>>8425262
You should try nokedli. Its like an egg dumpling. Not really a standalone meal but it goes great with alot of things like in soup or with some kind of sauce so its like a pasta.
>>
File: IMG_20161031_094748.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161031_094748.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Anyone know this? I always get this when im in hungary.
>>
>>8425394
Also goes great with goulash.
>>
>>8424528
austrian goulash is better than hungarian goualsh
>>
>>8425401
Elephant ear?
>>
>>8425449
Never heard of that name. They call it lángos.
>>
>>8425401
Fried nigger jizz.It's a local delicacy.
>>
>>8425401
can't remember where I read this, but I found it amusing

the navajo came up with frybread out of necessity because they were given lard and flour by the us government

hungarians came up with langos because they thought fried dough sounded good
>>
I am a big fan. I love csabais, pork knuckle, garlic soup, sztrapacska, devil's purse, packed potatoes, gulash, nokedli and liver dumpling soup.
I want to try chicken paprikash but I'm not sure if that's a Zoltan dish or a Burger dish, seeing as burgers like it so much.
>>
Hungarian restaurant near me. Started decades ago by an old immigrant couple, now retired and maybe dead, dunno.

Food's great. I get the combo platter. It's got a beef scnitzel, some kind of pork loin that's breaded and fried. Rotkohl. Cabbage roll. Kolbasz. Steamed veggies. Cucumber salad. Fucking amazing.
>>
>>8425482
It's certainly not a "burger" dish. My great grandma Magda brought it to the US with her way back when. The reason everyone loves it is because it's fucking delicious. It's a giant pile of sour cream, paprika, garlic, onions, and chicken. What's not to love?
>>
>>8425430
You sir can fuck off
>>
>>8425430
Austria is one of the most meme countries on the planet. They have made zero culinary contributions and are essentially a meme version of Germany albeit a lot smaller. Absolutely zero cultural distinctions - they didn't even have the heart to come up with their own language. It's riddled with narrow meme roads everywhere and meme highways which are lined with meme sound detectors because some meme liberal government was voted in by the meme population
>>
>>8424575
Have you ever considered food-writing as a career? You could give Morgan Murphy a run for his money
>>
>>8427339
While i appreciate the creative shitposting, you are wrong about many things. Austria is pretty right-wing, they have a quite impressive food and coffee culture: schnitzel, sachertorte, kaiserschmarrn... their oppressive countryside inspired many great depressions:georg trakl, karl kraus, adolf hitler, joseph fritzl... all said and done id rate it 2/10 because of the shitty dialect and the incestous population
>>
>>8424528
I've only ever had the goulash before and it was delicious, even though it was from a German place instead.

It all looks delicious though, I wish there were actually places that sold it. I've heard it's one of the easiest to make yourself though.

I'd potentially put it in my top 3 along with Turkish and Italian food.
>>
>>8427339

You're a fucking retard. Austria has plenty of great food (ever heard of Wiener Schnitzel?) and arguably the best deserts in the world, amazing pastries and cakes. And I don't even fucking like Austrians. They're inbred and speak a shitty version of a beautiful language. You subhuman.

T. Hans
>>
>>8424671
Hungary here seconding this >>8424815
>>
>>8424575
>walls of restaurant are covered with old pictures of soviet hungry, mostly of the 1960's revolution
close but
>They served three drinks, water, beer, and Brandy
>no Pálinka
no cigar

>>8424671
Hungol thirding this >>8424815
>>
>Hungarian cuisine

>Have you tried it?
Sho'nuff.
>Did you like it?
Kinda have to.
>If not, do you want to?
See above. It's not like I had a choice.
>What do you know about it?
Quite a lot. What do you wanna know?

>>8424579
Called just "sour cherry soup" (meggyleves) and it's okay. 'Meggy' means 'sour cherry,' the same sort the French and Italians call 'amarelle.'

>>8424671
We should have never let you leave the Upperlands to become your own country.

>>8425182
Made lecsó last week with homemade liver-pork-and-grain sausage rather than the normal, smoked one. Was okay. Prefer the traditional.

>>8425262
Too many to list. One I've never seen anyone bring up in English other than myself is X in carrot sauce. Hungary makes a lot of vegetable-based sauces/soups that are similar to French bisques called főzelék. Wouldn't be surprised if they entered Hungarian gastronomy from France (or vice versa.
Traditional carrot sauce uses carrot, celery root, parsley root (and/or parsnip) and onion as well as sugar, but since carrots are sugary already and onions add even more sweetness, I leave the sugar out of mine. Traditional with beef, especially tongue, but I like it better with chicken.
Pic related (spinach sauce) is another one, but seems to be eaten in a few other countries (just none which are near Hungary). Traditional with fried (or boiled) eggs or meatloaf. Get yourself some crusty bread or boiled potatoes or flour dumplings and you've got yourself a meal. And yes, we like our eggs fried crispy.

>>8425515
Sound more Austrian to me than Hungarian. Nothing you mentioned is specifically Hungarian except for using the Hungarian word for smoked sausage. Everything is either pan-central-European or specifically Austrian. What else have you had?

>>8427326
>>8425430
>austrian goulash
Pörkölt. For some reason, pörkölt left the country and got relabled as goulash abroad. Both are good, but pörkölt is more substantive and filling.
>>
>>8424892
гyлaш is a serbian dish, actually.
>>
>>8428867
that is not a sauce. It is a side dish, made from boiled spinach that is mixed with garlic, roux, and milk. It is comon in Serbia, which borders Hungary
>>
>>8424528
Hitchhiked to Hungary five years ago. Everyone was friendly, gave me food, recommended restaurants. Oh, and your homemade alcohol made my friend run out of the tent stark naked and cry for water.
>>
File: 321.gif (1MB, 200x136px) Image search: [Google]
321.gif
1MB, 200x136px
>>8424575
>like the Hungarian people, it's hardy and probably contains some goat.

10/10
>>
Made goulash based on the recipe from one of the magyarbros last time there was a hungarian bread

It was pretty good, despite my shit paprika
>>
It's good, I prefer porkolt and tokany to goulash personally. Lesco with sausage is also cheap, tasty comfort food.
>>
>>8429721
>despite the fact that we use a word from a foreign language for the name of this dish and not our national language, it's totally a Serbian Original Dish™ and not at all from the country which speaks that language natively and has a clear etymological origin for the name
lol

>>8430822
There's no milk or roux in the dish I posted. Many főzelékek are thickened with roux, true, but not all of them need to be. Many, such as the spinach one I posted, are thickened by reduction. Few főzelékek have any milk in them at all. Many use strained sour cream, but no milk.
Secondly, garlic is used in such a small amount in this sort of főzelék as to render it an unnecessary ingredient so many people just don't add it at all. Other than having spinach in common, whatever Serbian dish you're talking about is likely not that similar to the one I posted, though I'm sure it's delicious (cuz Serbfood is pretty great).
Finally, it can't be a side dish in Hungarian cuisine for two reasons: one, side dishes for Hungarians are just carbs, like bread, potato etc. The vast majority of food eaten are one-bowl-dishes accompanied by bread or other carb. With any főzelék, you can eat it thin with bread as a soup or leave it thick and serve it with potatoes or dumplings (or bread). It is always a main course and never a side dish. Ever. That's just not how Hungarians eat meals.

>>8433014
Was it a recent thread?
>>
>>8424528

Slovakia #1, Hungary a shit
>>
File: halaszle.png (3MB, 1772x1179px) Image search: [Google]
halaszle.png
3MB, 1772x1179px
>>8424528
Eating halászle in a restaurant in Szeged by the river Tisza is probably my favorite food experience. I don't even like carp that much but that was the most delicious bowl of soup ever.
>>
>>8424575
10/10 anon, pst more
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.