[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a left over ham bone from christmas. Want to make a soup.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I have a left over ham bone from christmas. Want to make a soup.

I've seen a few methods, I want to know what's best for extracting all that ham flavor.

I want to start on the broth. I was thinking low and slow for several hours.

So, what herbs and vegetables should I add in with the ham when I make the broth?

My goal is to make some sort of ham and white bean soup with carrots and potatoes.

Tips?
>>
>>8414553
>My goal is to make some sort of ham and white bean soup with carrots and potatoes.
Keep it simple, stupid.
Little bit of garlic, salt if you need, pepper, bay leaf.
Soak the beans overnight.
Slow cook it with just carrots.
Usually go for two or three carrots.
At the last moment wilt some spinach leaves into the soup.
>>
>>8414568
I just saw so many recipes, I didn't know which to choose. I'm making the broth separate from the soup. I know how to make the soup.

What I need to know is superior ham bone flavor extraction for the broth.
>>
>>8414577
>What I need to know is superior ham bone flavor extraction for the broth.

Put bone in water. Put on heat. Simmer (not full boil) for several hours.

>>what should I add
Nothing. Season the final soup, not the ham stock.
>>
>>8414577
Low and slow for at least 4 hours. Make sure you start with cold water and use a gentle simmer.
>>
>HAM BONE HAM BONE WHACHU GONNA DO
>>
>>8414553
Parents do this after every Thanksgiving with the leftover ham.

Strip off as much meat as you can, dice it up and set aside.
Dutch Oven, place bone vertical or slumped against the rim, add enough coldwater to fully cover the bone.
Low heat, enough for a small simmer but never more, keep it going all day. Do not lower the heat at any point in time, keep the lid ajar on the pot so it can vent.
When the broth is done and you want to make soup you can add in the diced ham meat back in along with garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, macaroni etc.
>>
>>8414640
Blam, this. Also a stock isn't a broth until you season it...keep the bone in low and slow as long as you can.
>>
I did this after thanksgiving, broth was salty af and i tossed it. How do you keep it from being a salt water bath?
>>
throw carrots, celery, onions and a bit of garlic in there, some whole black peppers, bayleaf

let that shit simmer for an hour or 4, then reduce to wanted thickness, strain and wa la
>>
Pressure cooker, if you've got one.
>>
>>8416533
Add more water.
>>
>>8416578
kek this

>the fucking state of sea kay
>>
>>8416533
I've never had that issue with homemade hamstock, but when I cure my own pork loins for canadian bacon, I often soak the the loin for several hours in cold water changing the water every hour or so to remove excess salt. It could also be because you haven't added your beans yet which will absorb some of the salt as well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.