[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/d ining/cheese-jacobs-and-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 28BURNER-CHEESE-superJumbo.jpg (490KB, 2048x1500px) Image search: [Google]
28BURNER-CHEESE-superJumbo.jpg
490KB, 2048x1500px
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/dining/cheese-jacobs-and-brichford-indiana.html

Looks like the Midwest may be finally trying to make good cheese. On my last trip there I did see some stuff from Indiana and Minnesota that looked interesting, so perhaps there's something to this NY Times mention (I haven't personally ever seen this "Jacobs and Brichford" stuff). The locals must think it's crazy, it's like: look at all that weird mold and strong smell, YUCKEEEE!

Do you think these sorts of non-traditional Midwest cheeses will ever make it into the mainstream consciousness, or will the Midwest be forever stigmatized with their famous "cheese product" that comes out of jars and spray cans and pre-sliced ziploc bags?
>>
>>8413644
I don't care because good cheese already exists and nobody cares about the midwest.
>>
Wisconsin here

fuck you
>>
>>8415007
Yeah but can you imagine how great it would be if the vast agricultural capacity of flyover land could be harnessed to create good quality food instead of just massive quantities of junk (most of which ends up in landfills anyway)? It could lower prices on the good stuff. More people could be taught what quality food tastes like. It would be possible for flyovers themselves to eat well without being seen as "pretentious".

I for one am excited about the possibilities here. We could be seeing the start of an American food renaissance.
>>
>>8415014
Minnesota here; the co-op in my town gets """"""""""local""""""""""" cheeses from WI and they're all shit
>>
>>8415032
I wouldn't mind that at all, but the likelihood of that happening is slim just because people if the midwest have terrible taste. So unless they're shipping that shit to states that actually appreciate good food then there's no way they can grass root that shit. Locals wouldn't buy it.
>>
>>8415042
I've seen good cheese from MN at Beecher's a few times so I know it's a thing. Doesn't show up often but they're trying at least.
>>
>>8415035
the only thing shit is your taste
>>
>>8415042
know how to spot a coastal fag?
they'll talk shit about the midwest
>>
>>8415127
I travel a lot for work, and I lived in Ohio for a while if that counts, but the midwest has shit food tbqh. Like it's not offensive, but it has no identity...if that makes sense.
>>
>>8415138
inb4 "but Ohio isn't my pet state therefore your opinion doesn't count"

I've lived in three midwestern states (one of which was, coincidentally, Ohio), and your opinion is pretty valid

The junk food is among the best in the country but that's because it's the only food they can eat without being hazed and ostracized for putting on airs, so, needless to say, that's where the effort goes
>>
>>8415138
>Like it's not offensive, but it has no identity...if that makes sense

I understand exactly what you mean, and you're wrong. I grew up in Indiana near the Ohio state line and spent the entirety of my 20's travelling the country for work and other reasons. Midwest cuisine seems plain because the majority of that region hasn't been diversified. Most Midwestern food is based on traditional German and English dishes, which there is nothing wrong with, and I hope it stays that way. I would argue that places like LA and NYC have a less unified culinary identity than anywhere in the Midwest. In fact, those places have no unity or identity at all.
>>
File: 2.jpg (53KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
53KB, 500x465px
>>8415315
It's more diverse. Little Havana in Miami, little Italy in NY, little China in LA and San Fran, plus great Mexican food everywhere.

You're basically saying you're happy with limited options, which I don't get. Germanic and English food can (rarely) be great...but to say "that's what I'm rolling with and fuck everything else" is closeted and retarded.
>>
>>8415035
Mn fag here wis cheese is better than vermont cheese
>>
>>8415342
>Germanic and English food can (rarely) be great

you've lost the plot

>Germanic and English

i take that back. you never knew the plot to begin with.

>but to say "that's what I'm rolling with and fuck everything else" is closeted and retarded

now i'm convinced that you're head over heels retarded
>>
File: 1463792646854.png (123KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1463792646854.png
123KB, 500x502px
>>8415315
>unified culinary identity

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>8415350
Do you have a passport?
>>
>>8415366
Meaning, it's only good if it doesn't challenge me too much
>>
>>8415372

why would I need a passport when every other country is literally desperate to move here?
>>
man I thought /mu/ was the most smug board
>>
>>8415384
So you don't have a passport, and you can't leave and return to the United States...but you're banging the drum of German and English food in the Midwest.

FUCKING LOL. You uncultured swine, you know nothing about food and you've invalidated yourself in front of this entire board.
>>
>>8415145
>putting on airs

That essentially sums up red states precisely. It's why they're scared to death to acknowledge value in other cultures or even something different from the nearest mcdonalds.
>>
>>8413644
Am I u banned
>>
>>8415366
It means a place like Michigan desperately needs a taqueria on every corner, but to do the same in a place like Tibet is a crime against humanity. Ethnic cuisine, my man!
>>
>>8415412
>there are people wasting valuable oxygen RIGHT NOW who think tacos = white genocide
>>
>>8415412
>Tibet

You mean the People's Republic of China. . .
>>
Awwww cuuuuute what artaficial flavor's are gaymerican's putting in there cheese shaped plastic's now???
>>
>>8415446
Tactical Nuke flavor.
>>
>>8415145
>The junk food is among the best in the country but that's because it's the only food they can eat without being hazed and ostracized for putting on airs, so, needless to say, that's where the effort goes

I can't help but come to the conclusion that this mentality has been a deciding factor in recent events. This level of condescension towards Middle America is unprecedented, and they've given you the ultimate middle finger in the biggest way that matters.
>>
>>8415457
this
>>
>>8415457
>implying the presidency matters
Even GWB was a patsy, although I agree it's a fantastic 'fuck you' that middle america pulled off.

But that's not food or cooking so let it go before we get pruned.
>>
>>8415491
this thread needs to get pruned anyway.
bunch of smug coastal hipsters actually arguing that WI is bad at making cheese. what the fuck? do you think WI would be known for making cheese if it was bad cheese? the smug is getting to your brain
>>
>>8415507
Idaho potatoes are objectively garbage, perhaps the WI cheese meme needs to die as well.
>>
>>8415518
now you're just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.
>>
File: Hot Pupper.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Hot Pupper.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>>8415522
Maybe we should get together and get some Georiga peaches, perhaps a Baltimore crab cake? After all they're the best ever you fucking idiot.
>>
>>8415315
>traditional German and English dishes

Can't even have proper weisswurst or blood pudding, argument discarded with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>8413644
All cheese produced in the USA is objectively, fucking shit.
>>
>>8413644
>Cheese
>From pasteurized milk
>2016

L U L Z I E S
>>
>>8415457
Maybe you misunderstood. They are accused *by each other*, not by the coastal meanies. In normal places it's not seen as pretentious to eat non junk food. It only raises eyebrows in middle america
>>
>>8415530
Those are shit foods, what's your point? Do you think Budweiser is literally the king of beers too?
>>
>>8416581
The Point

Your Head
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.