[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how come i'm the only one who seems to use the power % on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 231283644.jpg (245KB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
231283644.jpg
245KB, 1425x1425px
how come i'm the only one who seems to use the power % on the microwave?

you wouldn't put the oven up to 100% and expect things to come out of it right, why do people do this with the microwave?
>>
>>8411576

Oven and microwave heat differently. The oven heats via radiant heat, so if it's set too high then it can burn the outside of the food before the inside is cooked. That doesn't apply to a microwave because the heat doesn't travel from the outside in, rather it originates inside the food.

I have never noticed a situation in which it makes sense to lower the power setting on the microwave. Perhaps such a situation exists but I've never encountered it. Then again, all I use the microwave for is boiling small amounts of water and re-heating leftovers.

OTOH, I can't stand idiots who can't be bothered to set the timer correctly (or at least stand near the microwave and stop it as need be) and result in their food splattering all over the inside.
>>
Not all microwaves offer this feature.

But y'know, slower and hence more even heating doesn't suddenly make microwaves amazing or anything. It's only very slightly different from manually waiting a bit in between two cycles.
>>
>>8411596
>>8411598
i mostly just cook stuff for the dog in the microwave

but i've noticed if i'm thawing frozen stuff 50% power is the difference between thawing it and literally cooking the outside while the inside remains frozen
>>
>>8411607
>feeds frozen raw
>microwaves it

top puf
put it in some tupperware and let it thaw overnigjt you retard, why bother spending $30 a bag on stellas or primal or small atch or steves and then negate the poinr
>>
>>8411596
Microwave radiation can't penetrate thick foods, so yes, microwave ovens work pretty similar to coventional ovens in how food is heated. You're basicallycooking the outside of the food with microwave radiation, but the inside of the food warms up from the heat generated in that outside layer.

It also makes a difference with thinner foods, like pizza. When I reheat pizza on high heat, the crust always comes out chewy, but I can usually get it somewhat I passable on medium heat cooking longer.
>>
when you cook it at 50% power you can hear the magnetron flip off so I suspect all it is doing when you put it on that setting is blasting it at full tits for only half the time and the other time just rotating around.
>>
>>8413083
The period when it is just rotating around gives the warmth from the heated parts time to dissipate into the parts that are still cold.
>>
>>8412984
you're just jumping to conclusions based on information i didn't give you
>>
>>8413008

Granted that microwaves don't completely penetrate thick foods, but there is a HUGE difference between a traditional oven (heats entirely from the outside) vs. a microwave which penetrates quite some distance inside the food. It might not penetrate 100%, but even a little penetration is very different than a traditional oven.
>>
>>8411596
>boiling small amounts of water
That's what a kettle is for faggot
>>
>>8413952
We have low vo,rage power in the USA so electric kettles are inefficient.
>>
>>8413952

1) I don't do it often enough to warrant buying an electric kettle.

2) Here in the states our electric kettles suck because the standard wall outlet is limited to about 1500 watts max. My commercial microwave (plugged into a 240V outlet) is much more powerful than any electric kettle would be.
>>
>>8413083
This shit. It only operates at 100% power, it just toggles on and off causing repeated power surges and still makes splatter explosions and local overheating. It just takes pauses in between. Its not much better than just using half the amount of time. Your food will still explode all over the walls, in bursts instead of continuously, and now you have to wait twice as long. Wow, what a win.
>>
File: cow2beef_exe.png (661KB, 2034x1539px) Image search: [Google]
cow2beef_exe.png
661KB, 2034x1539px
>>
>>8413952
>>boiling small amounts of water
>That's what a kettle is for faggot
If I want to heat a cup of water for tea, the microwave makes sense. 1-1.5 minutes (it's a low power microwave) and no additional equipment/counter space/stove space/shelf space/power outlet needed. And it's not really a wasted 1-1.5 minutes, I can find something around the kitchen to occupy myself for that amount of time. Just seems a lot simpler. When I have guests, I heat water in a small sauce pan on the stove. I don't see the need for a kettle unless you frequently need to heat more than a cup of water.
>>
>>8413977
I've had a lot more success reheating foods on 50% power than on 100% power. Usually it's the difference between a food being reheated reasonably well and a food being ruined. A piece of steak will go from pink to brown before the meat itself is very warm on 100% power, but keeping it in for longer on 40-50% power gives the meat a chance to warm up without cooking too much more.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.