[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I tried to make half sours using 3.5% brine. I left them for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1481595036241.png (2MB, 930x1348px) Image search: [Google]
1481595036241.png
2MB, 930x1348px
I tried to make half sours using 3.5% brine.
I left them for a week, but the pickles taste quite salty.
Any tips?
>>
My waifu has that exact same outfit. Spent like 15 bucks on the gacha for it.
>>
Nobody does pickling?
>>
>>8403122
No, the only thing we do here is discuss fast food
>>
>>8402198
USE LESS SALT
>>
>>8403406
But I need the salt to do the fermentation.
>>
>>8402198
Did you use pickling sauce or kosher salt?
>>
>>8404526
Pure sea salt.
>>
Just buy store pickles.
>>
File: 1480655741331.png (142KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1480655741331.png
142KB, 2000x2000px
>>8402198
Use 2.7%, that's what I do. I actually let it sit longer then a week though. A scum will form on the top that a scrap off with a spoon.

You are going by the weight of water and salt btw, right? Different salts have different densities and even water can vary due to temperature.

With this batch you made, you may want to just add a little water to you mix to dilute it and let it for a week.
>>
>>8402198
It's gonna take more fox lolis before I help you op
>>
>>8406746
I didn't go by weight this time, but will in the future when my scale comes in the mail.
The salt was coarser then pickling salt so I would think my brine would be a little less than 3.5%.
I've put them back in the brine and plan to try them every couple of days.

What forms the scum? I didn't notice any in the jar.
>>
File: ff.jpg (81KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
81KB, 850x1133px
>>8406969
Help anon!
>>
File: 1423148354760.jpg (18KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1423148354760.jpg
18KB, 301x267px
>>8407096
Do you have an open air container at room temperature or are you putting it into a jar with threads into the refrigerator?

I just get a 5 gallon bucket and layer my cucumbers in. I add enough water to cover them completely by about 2-3 inches and have my salt ratio correct.

Then I set something like a plate on top of the cucumbers because they're buoyant. I just use a bottle of water on top of the plate as a weight to keep the submerged.

I leave it out for 2-3 weeks and after the first week, a mucusy slime will form on top and will look gross, I suppose that the bacteria that you want, but I scrape it off anyways about once a week.

Try a pickle and once you get a sour taste that you like, put them into jars with threads and put them into the fridge. That will retain that level of sourness for awhile.

We're dealing with living bacteria here, so it needs water, food, and air. If you put it into a sealed container, it doesn't get the air it needs.

We add the salt to keep other, harmful bacteria from forming.

protip: put a towel on top of your 5 gallon bucket with a bunge cord or a rope or something to keep it tight. The towel will allow air through but keep flies out. Once I did it without any type of covering and there were fucking maggots all over.
>>
>>8407138
It's a large jar with no top and a smaller submerged jar to keep the cucumbers under the surface. I've had a dish towel over the top.
I think I just didn't wait long enough, which confused me since a couple guides said 5-7 days.

Does the salt turn into something else over time, or does the sour taste from the lactic acid cancel out the salty taste in some way?
>>
>>8407164
The salty flavor remains, but it should taste sour too. If you put too much salt it may take longer for it to ferment.

You'll be surprised on how much 1% of salt content changes how salty it tastes. I tried around 3.5% at first and it was way too salty. Which ever guide you read about leaving it in for one week isn't invalid, but some people like their pickles more sour. Also the guide errors on the safe side for you. They're afraid of letting the bad bacteria forming. If there's anything black growing on top and it smells bad you fucked up, but if it's white/greenish and slimy looking, you're fine. Just wait for another week and try to add a little water if you still aren't satisfied and wait for another.

In the end, if you still don't like it, you shouldn't just throw it away. Make some tasty pickle soup. It took about 2-3 batches to figure out what kind of works.
>>
>>8407138
The bacteria are anaerobic so you don't need air.
Submerging the veggies is easy though and cheap, and using something like a canning top could risk explosion since reaction makes co2 I believe.
>>
>>8407217
That's why the guides say leave it in an open container, thanks anon.

When I get a level of sourness I like, I put them in a threaded jar with a lid and put them in the refrigerator to retard the growth. I've noticed that they taste fizzy unlike when I taste them while they're out in the open.

I better go check on my jars, lol. They've been like that for 2 months now.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.