[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best of the so-called "trash" fish, ie,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (206KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
206KB, 1920x1080px
What is the best of the so-called "trash" fish, ie, fish that anglers generally don't want to catch or eat? Something like Pike Minnow is actually very tasty; it's just that fishers in pikeminnow areas are usually fishing for something else.

Conversely, which trash fishes really ARE worthless, no matter how much you fry or season or doll them up with culinary makeup?
>>
>>8391299
Tilapia and sometimes catfish, depending on source.
>>
>>8391299
Depends, are you talking about fresh water specifically or saltwater fish too?
I live in Hawaii and there are some fish here that we consider trash fish but in actuality are pretty tasty.
>>
File: pikeminnows-76959dde5bb1ad22[1].jpg (725KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
pikeminnows-76959dde5bb1ad22[1].jpg
725KB, 2048x1536px
>>8391422
Either type, I guess. Pikeminnow is an interesting example because Oregon and Washington actually pay people to get rid of them, since they eat young salmon.

It tastes fine to me, but apparently it's not a very well-regarded fish by cooks.
>>
>>8391299
Here in Miami lionfish, a horribly invasive species, is an awesome trash fish. I always look forward to finding one for din-dins whenever I go spearing. Tastes just like grouper and because they're rarely known to harbor parasites you can eat them sashimi style.

Jack crevalle can taste good too as long as you get a small one and bleed it immediately.
>>
>>8391299
Common bream is generally considered not to be a food fish and more of a nuisance, probably has a little to do with the bones branching out in a Y shape making it very hard to fillet. People tend to hook them in the dorsal fin when fishing for pike/sander/asp and just throw them away after, but they make pretty good fish cakes if you ground them up.
Same goes for a lot of other carp fish and things like common whitefish.
>>
sucker and bullhead are not bad if caught in clean cold water.

carp tastes like trash regardless of where it comes from, can make edible by drowning in soy sauce before cooking for like a week.
>>
I've never bothered to cook mullet but apparently they're alright to eat. Also you can eat Hardhead catfish but where they're plentiful is where you don't want to the bottom feeders. Where I fish on the Gulf of Mexico both of these things are everywhere. I've tossed a castnet and pulled up 20+ decent sized mullet and pulled up hardheads one after the other. Mullet is a pain in the ass to prepare and every hardhead i've seen looks like literal trash.
>>
>>8393068
Came here to complain about carp.

They taste like mud and shit. It's so awful. I can't hide them in really spicy curry, even. I've given up. I just kill the poor little bastards and grind them up for compost.
>>
>>8393190
The chinese do really good things with carp.
>>
>>8393068
Bullhead? Are you serious? I absolutely can't stand them. What would you even use them for? They are way too small (on average) to get a decent fillet.
>>
>>8393205
I guess? I've tried it at some pretty good restaurants, but it still tastes like itself. Which is terrible.
>>
>>8393225
I had some good carp dishes in Shanghai region in the spring festival.

Though I agree that any other cuisine it is a useless shitty fish
>>
Chesapeake Bay catfish is excellent, eating up all the clams and oysters

Fucking porgy is always trash, no one but sad old black women buy it
>>
Anybody tried dogfish? There a nuisance catch but here but I hear the bongs are starting to love it. Also no catch limit no min size.
>>
Northern Pike are not too bad to eat, but are a real bitch to clean. Nothing ruins a nice fish filet like bone fragments.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.