[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought stuff to make potato soup, but I don't have a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: ham and potato soup.jpg (332KB, 1199x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ham and potato soup.jpg
332KB, 1199x1200px
I bought stuff to make potato soup, but I don't have a good recipe. I figure I can make a roux and then add chicken broth and cream and milk, but I don't know how much of each to use.

please respond
>>
>>8384093

boil the potaties until very tender, then rinse in cold water to clear off the starch.

bring your stock or broth to a simmer and add any other ingredients, such as leeks, onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary or peas, and then add potatoes until you have enough in the pot

bring to a boil and mash/stir/pulverize the potaties until creamy then let it cook for 20-30 minutes. finish with heavy cream, do not let it boil after adding the cream. season to taste
>>
>>8384108
so the soup should be mostly stock? I don't have a food mill or anything to puree the potatos so I don't think I can make it thicker that way.
>>
>>8384093
When I do it I just make a roux then add milk to thicken; eyeball it and remember you can always add more. Adding broth or cream is up to you, I personally always use milk. Broth has different/more flavour, cream has more fat.

Some people like using bacon fat for the fat in the roux. 1tbsp to 1tbsp should be good.

I'd also undercook some of your potatoes so that they don't break down as much, and add your potatoes in batches. The cooked/overcooked potatoes will break down and help thicken.

Don't forget the cayenne and greens. Cheddar cheese and parmesan are two good ones, I like gouda too.
>>
>>8384162
also, cream cheese is a good addition. Very flavourful in a tangy way. Not essential but good.
>>
>>8384122
if you're using milk, you don't have to use broth, but you can, as >>8384162 said.
if you want to use cream, you're going to want to use broth/stock and then add cream at the end. you use a lot less than you think you would, just add a little at a time and taste.

this (http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/10/ham-and-potato-soup-tuberlicious.html) is a pretty good simple recipe if you want to see how much cream/broth you should be using.
>>
>>8384122
the soup is all stock. use elbow grease and heat to mush the potaties
>>
>>8384093
You don't have to make a roux. If you have a blender just take some boiled/steamed potatoes and throw them in a blender with milk.
>>
>>8384122

If you like soup go to the pawn shop and get a blender.
>>
File: IMG_1224[1].jpg (655KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1224[1].jpg
655KB, 2048x1536px
ok here's how it ended up.

I cooked a bunch of bacon and then fried the white parts of some green onion in the grease. then I added some flour to make a roux and some chicken stock and my potato. I got busy doing other stuff so the potato boiled for an hour and a half, so I didn't even have to mash them up. at the end I seasoned it with black pepper, red pepper, a little ground mustard, and stirred in some cream, a shit load of cheese, the bacon, and more green onion.
>>
>>8384795
Damn, that looks and sounds great for a cold winter's evening.
>>
>>8384795

thanks for delivering OP. looks nice
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.