[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn to cook but I don't even know what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 675756.jpg (218KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
675756.jpg
218KB, 640x320px
I want to learn to cook but I don't even know what's mandatory to have around the house for meals

What's a good, reasonable grocery list I can get by on for like $50-$60 a week?
>>
>>8353893

Answering that question requires specifying your general location. Prices of ingredients vary greatly by area.
>>
>>8353907
southern US, georgia
>>
>>8353919
Burger and ice cream you fat American fuck.
>>
>>8353919
That wasn't a suggestion that we could answer the question knowing where you live.

Only you know what you want to cook and eat, ffs.
>>
>>8353893

Over time you are going to want to build up your stock of ingredients. You will end up spending a couple hundred dollars in the long run for ingredients that each could last years, but there's no need to do it all at once because you wouldn't know how to use any of them anyway. Start by getting salt and pepper.

I could give you more advice if you gave me an idea of the foods you want to cook.
>>
Chicken is good to start with, get breasts and thighs. Make sure you aren't buying that abominable shit where it's 15 percent salt water

If you get beef, try to snag it from any sort of soon to be past sale date corner

A jug of cooking oil has lots of uses and can last a fair while

Potatoes are good to get a pound or two of depending on how much you eat. Same with other vegetables. I like carrots and parsnips especially

Flour, butter, eggs, sugar and baking powder. With these things you can bring about a shit ton of baked stuff

Tortillas, just about any meat can be cooked in a pan and wrapped up in that shit with cheese.

Rice and lentils just take a saucepan to get a good versatile side dish. Beans too if you're not a retard that can't get them to cook right like me

Stock cubes. Fucking versatile. You have opened the gateway to soup and stew
>>
File: IMG_9290.jpg (188KB, 1600x1341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9290.jpg
188KB, 1600x1341px
Boneless chicken thighs or chicken leg meat should be on your list. They're less than $2/lb and hold on to flavor better than breast.

However, you're not going to get a whole lot out of your $50-$60 if you're not going to cook from scratch.
>>
>>8354473

What do you mean you can't get beans to cook right? I cook beans often so maybe I could give you some advice.
>>
pantry items I usually stock:
Mustard (colmans, dijon,dijon whole grain)
Worcestershire sauce (or fish sauce)
red wine vinegar (pompeian)
canola oil (for general frying)
Extra virgin olive oil (vinaigrettes, finishing)
AP flour (whole wheat/white unbleached)
Kosher salt (diamond crystal)
pickling/fine salt (morton green box) easy to dissolve for brines
tomato paste (buy can and cut into slices/freeze for 2Tablespoon servings)
Whole canned tomatoes
Noodles (spaghetti/egg/whatever shapes you like)
sugar
onion/shallot
garlic
russett/yukon gold potato
vanilla
brined pickles/capers

weekly items:
parsley/lemons
half and half cream (not every week)
milk
eggs (lots)
carrots
celery
whole chicken and whatever meat I want that week or whatever is on sale)

Techniques to learn (learn in this order):
Learn to season properly (salt/brines)
Learn to roast a chicken (roast in a 12" cast iron skillet) and make a pan sauce
learn to make stock from carcass (stock is called the foundation (le fond) of cooking for a reason)
Learn to make one really good soup (use your homemade chicken stock)
Learn an emulsified sauce (mayo/vinaigrette)
Learn to cook eggs multiple ways
Learn to bake bread
Learn two different doughs other than bread (pasta/pate a choux are good)
learn to make custards (sweet and savory)
grow your own herbs (grocery store prices are wack!)
>>
>>8354506
Generally too hard still after cooking
>>
>>8354515

1. Soak beans overnight
2. Rinse off and refill with a couple inches of water
3. Bring to boil and simmer on low for as long as it takes to get to the desired texture

Make sure not to add salt until the beans are cooked to how you want them. I've heard it can make them hard if added too early (I've also heard the complete opposite) but I've never had a problem with beans so I'm not gonna change how I cook them.
>>
>>8354513
Oh, I forgot an import pantry item. Extra dry vermouth, this is important when learning to make pan sauces. ie deglaze the pan with white wine.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.