[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/, I've asked for only one thing from my gf this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 000011.jpg (138KB, 1229x922px) Image search: [Google]
000011.jpg
138KB, 1229x922px
Hey /ck/, I've asked for only one thing from my gf this christmas. A 5gal home brew kit, with the intention of starting some serious mead brewing. Any one got some good recipes for mead/ suggestions for good spice or flavouring combinations/ insight on which honeys are best to use.

I have brewed on a small experimental scale before (2L batches) so no need to explain the basics. But i have never brewed mead.
>>
>>8336916
Try a straight mead without spices or fruit first. Here's a simple recipe for 5 gallons that works.

12lbs of honey (1 gallon)
4 tsp acid blend
4 tsp yeast nutrient
4 gallons of non-chlorinated water
2 packets of champagne yeast (I use Lavlin EC1118).

Mix all ingredients in large stainless pot. Heat at to 180F and hold for 30 minutes. Cool to 70F, transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast. Rack to secondary fermenter after 30 days. Wait 30 days and either bottle or rack again until you're satisfied with clarity.

This makes a dry mead. If you want a sweet mead you can use a sweet or semi-sweet yeast.
>>
>>8336974
Thanks, i head that to make medium and sweet mead you just increase honey to water ratio? will that work too? I plan on doing experimental 2L batches first. Also why is the pot heating required? wont that just result in the degradation of the peroxide in the honey?
>>
>>8337003
I just feel more comfortable pasteurizing it to kill any wild yeasts and bacteria eventhough honey is anti-bacterial. Some people don't heat it, but I suspect they occasionally end up with an off flavored or sour batch. And 12lbs of honey isn't cheap even when you buy 5 gallons at a time from a largescale beekeeper like I do.

I don't know much about sweet meads because I only make dry. Some people back sweeten with honey after fermentation, some stop fermentation at their desired sweetness level with sulfites, and probably like you said, others use more honey initially.
>>
>>8337036
Ok thanks for the wisdom either way.
>>
That's a big piss jug
>>
>>8337036

If you sanitize everything and pitch enough yeast at the beginning, you can ensure a vigorous enough fermentation that the alcohol will kill off any potential bacteria in the vessel.

I have yet to create a mead that I've applied heat to, but I'm also very careful with my sanitation procedures.
>>
>>8337404
Great to hear. As I said, I know some people don't heat it, but I'd be pissed as hell if 12lbs of honey was wasted. I may try it with my next batch, though.

Do you think 2 packets of Lavlin EC1118 will be enough? It usually kicks off within 2-4 hours of pitching and goes vigorously.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.