[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to be a luxury food and meals connoisseur but don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I want to be a luxury food and meals connoisseur but don't want to learn how to cook. Basically just knowing how to distinguish a poor meal from a really great one even if both look/sound/taste great.

Yes it sounds shallow but I truly don't care. How do I start?
>>
Learning how to cook
>>
>>8333829
Predictable answer. I mostly just want to pretend. What are essential luxury restaurants to know about?
>>
>>8333826
what do you know so far?
how advanced is your palate?
in order to truly appreciate a trade or art, one must learn it, so one can understand the skill involved, the creativity that has been put into a dish. and the difficulty of the various processes

you should learn to cook
>>
>>8333835
Caviar
>>
You don't NEED to cook to know these things but it helps a lot. Reading up on those topics will help educate you, and sampling lots of those foods will give you the experience.
>>
>>8333835
Olive garden
Max and Erma's
>>
>>8333826
A lot of money helps. So does the ability to dine out at a variety of really good restaurants. If you're not particularly wealthy you might want to consider getting into the business. If you have a decent palate you will learn quickly. That's how I got my education about wine. I got into the business. It was a shit move as far as finances went, because it turned out I was a lousy salesman. But I got to attend tons of tastings and became familiar with the classic styles and characters of various regions and varietals. And got to taste far more wines than I could have afforded to on my own. So while it barely made me any money it was a free education.

One thing you're going to learn is that while luxury foods are often amazing plenty of non-luxury stuff is just as enjoyable. I've tasted beautiful vintage Burgundies and $300 bottles of Chablis. But I'd be a liar if I said a really pedestrian Chianti or Bordeaux isn't the perfect thing to go with some meals. It's the same way you'll see food writers critiquing a several hundred dollar tasting menu in one column while waxing eloquent about al pastor tacos in another. Developing a taste for luxury foods is not pretentious. Looking down on good foods that aren't luxuries because you've tasted luxury is. I enjoy top flight charcuterie as much as anyone, but I could never be so pretentious as to turn my nose up at a chili dog.
>>
>>8333826
Review-Brah does pretty well but to gain any sort of credibility you would have to have dined at top-notch places and that will cost you.

I also have no patience for people that review with a personal foible. ?????

What I mean by that is, for example: "The broccoli was overcooked"!!!. .. . . was it REALLY overcooked or was it just overcooked according to your personal taste?
>>
>>8333860
this. you're going to have to learn the same things you'd be learning if you were learning to cook. so you might as well learn to cook while you're at it.
>>
>>8333826
the only way you learn is to cook for yourself. how do you know if its under/over cooked if you dont know the difference? how will you know if it seasoned well if you cant tell the difference? just because you eat the food dont mean you can judge the food if you dont know how the food is made.
>>
>>8333826
I read this in Patrick Bateman's voice.
>>
>>8335554
Ellisten here now, that's going a bit far.
>>
First start by learning how to read a fine dining menu. Herings dictionary is the standard but it has been out of print (at least in the US). So you'll have to find a used copy. Otherwise, find any "culinary dictionary" on amazon with the best review.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.