[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, it's my first time attempting to brew some beer myself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0443.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0443.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
So, it's my first time attempting to brew some beer myself and im pretty sure i might have fucked up before i ever really started. I got a brewing kit for xmas last year and i only recently (this thanksgiving to be exact) began to start brewing it. (I know, i know, super long wait period...)

Anyways, i did all of the steps as described but my main concern is if i was too late and the ingredients have expired. The date on the yeast actually stated 11/16, so its a push.

So right now its supposed to be fermenting, but what troubles me is that its been bubbling for only about two days. Now its dead silent and i have no idea whats going on. I've tried looking it up but keep getting mixed answers.

Is it worth it to try and wait it out a week or so? Or should i just dump it and start over with fresh ingredients.

>pic related. just took a hydrometer reading today but i really have no clue what this means
>supposed to be block party amber ale if it matters
>>
>>8325649
If the yeast was expired, that COULD be it. Let it sit around and see what happens, though. The lack of bubbles could be due to a lot, like colder temperatures, different barometric pressure, or what have you.
>>
What SG did you pitch at? What SG is it now?
>>
File: 1479179662675.jpg (143KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1479179662675.jpg
143KB, 1080x1349px
>>8325649
Your hydrometer reading should have been taken before you pitched your yeast to get your original gravity
Then you could take readings and be able to know when you're done fermenting
But in this case I'd say your yeast was dead
Go to your local home brew store and buy another packet and re-pitch and aerate your wort before re-pitching and you should be OK OP
>>
Depending on the yeast strain your attenuation varies with most of your fermentation taking place in the first few days. Temperature is a huge factor as well. 1.016 isn't terrible. Just leave it. You might get it down to 1.008ish or so
>>
>>8325695
no clue, wasnt able to measure it because for whatever reason the kit never came with a hydrometer... was only able to pick one up just today

>>8325700
i was afraid of that. ill have to stop by tomorrow and pick up some yeast, but im not sure if its worth it. it stopped bubbling around saturday and its been sitting there ever since.
maybe just re-doing it is a better idea?

>>8325708
right now its sitting in my closet at approximately 70 F, so im assuming thats ok.

how long would you recommend i leave it for? Should i maybe taste a sample or something after a while?
The only sign of hope i have is that it definitely smells like beer
>>
>>8325700
goddamn she is prime thick, but i can't fap with that goblin standing next to her
>>
>>8325700
>that thiccness on the left

would smash on the down low
>>
>>8325748
You're worrying a bit much. Have a homebrew and relax.

Since you have no hydrometer readings to go from, it wouldn't hurt to take a sample and taste it. It's not unusual to have fermentation complete in 3 days for some beers and yeast.

Does it taste sweet? It's not done and you need to repitch. If it tastes like beer, bottle and enjoy in 2 weeks.

Bottomline, don't stress. It's only beer.
>>
Iv'e home brewed a few batches and never had this problem but assuming it DID bubble for 3 days before it stopped that means the yeast was active.

I could be wrong but if the yeast was dead it wouldn't have bubbled at all?

I would assume its fine and just finish the batch.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.