[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, so I got tired of using my big ass stock pot for sous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3179.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3179.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys, so I got tired of using my big ass stock pot for sous vide and dealing with all the evaporation/power consumption/unit struggling to heat the water so I got a old cooler at a thrift store and cut away a section for the unit. My logic is that the cooler should dramatically cut down on the wattage and evaporation for long cooks.

It occured to me the plastic in the cooler was never meant to keep hot things hot. What is the likelihood of BPAs and other chemicals leaching out of the plastic into the water and through the foodsaver bag and into the food? Seems pretty unlikely but I just wanted to be confirm with the cu/ck/s.

Thanks in advance.
>>
halp
>>
>>8325332
I've been using a small Coleman cooler to make whole-grain beer in for years. No problemo; it's a common practice.

Now, my strike temp is 170 or so. How high are you cranking this thing up?
>>
>>8325332
as long as you don't melt the shit you'll be fine
>>
>sous vide
Wew
>>
>>8325332
Well, I doubt even if it leeches into the water that I would then find a way into the plastic bags. Are you just reusing ziplock bags or are you planning to get some more fancy sous-vide designed ones?

I just got that Anova unit in the mail today and am making a glazed teriyaki chicken in it right now. So excited to see how it turns out.
>>
>>8325406
This is the sensible post. As a homebrewer, mashing in a cooler, that's all you need. I've measured the temp from beginning to end and it loses 2F over 1 hour. Absolutely negligble.
>>
>>8325458
I use a Foodsaver w/ vacuum seal bags.

They are made of a significantly more robust material than ziplocks, plus it cuts down on the likelihood of leaks.
>>
>>8325495
I'm fairly certain the plastic wasn't made for that and is leeching into the brew.
>>
>>8325406
I rarely go above 140.

I worry for your sake though. I don't think having heated mash in direct contact with the fisher price plastic of a cooler is a good idea.

t. OP
>>
File: Teriyaki Chicken and Yaki Soba.jpg (242KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Teriyaki Chicken and Yaki Soba.jpg
242KB, 2048x1365px
>>8325332
Holy shit this stuff is delicious. I can see why sous vide has become so popular. Totally not tepid water plastic bag meme stuff.

Yes, I realize I should have cut the chicken before pouring the sauce.
>>
>>8325624
Not anon you're responding to, but I use a water cooler for my mash and I can't see how 150-158F would be an issue since it's designed for both hot and cold liquids.

Please explain.
>>
>>8325991
Coolers are designed for cold liquids.

Tumblers for coffee are made from much denser plastics.
>>
>>8325332
i think recycle code 4 is ok, nothing else
>>
salsa chicken
>>
>>8326445
>Coolers are designed for cold liquids
They are designed to keep temperature.. Hot or cold is irrelevant..
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.