[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm caramelizing some yellow onions for the first time,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0110.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0110.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I'm caramelizing some yellow onions for the first time, I'm at the 30 minute mark on medium heat, should I be worried about burning these or is this looking good so far?
>>
>>8325079
Looks good. Keep going with the low heat and stirring. Occassionally add a couple tablespoons of water to scrape up the fond. You've got about 30 more minutes.
>>
Looks like a ways to go yet. If you want to try an experiment you can actually caramelized the onions faster. Just use more heat.

> whoa anon, nice try on getting me to burn them!

Dice up an onion, I find the finer the dice the faster caramelization will happen. Because it can only happen once you get rid of the water in the onion. So turn up your heat and have some water on hand. What I do is splash a bit of water in the pan when I see the brown caramel sticking to the pan, which prevents it from burning. It evaporates quickly and the. I wait a bit for more brown to form then splash a bit more water to loosen it from the pan. I used to spend an hour reducing an onion, but if you do it correctly you can do it faster.
>>
OP here, thanks guys, no pics sadly cause I forgot I made a thread and already threw my final product in with my beef/pork mince, but I waited another 20 minutes (50 minutes total) and added some brown sugar and a glut of red wine at the very end. I did not however use any water at all and just cooked it dry, save for the tbsp or so of butter I threw in at the very beginning. Fuck I should have gotten mushrooms while I was at the store....
>>
Are yellow onions what americans call brown onions or are they different?
>>
>>8325261
Yellow onions are brown onions yes. I currently live in NC
>>
>>8325268
Thanks pham
>>
whats the difference between a yellow onion and a white onion?
>>
>>8326100
yellow onions are a little sweeter than white onions
>>
>>8326100
The color
>>
I've found white onions seem to caramelize quicker and easier than yellow ones. Any thoughts?
>>
>>8326188
No
>>
>>8326100
White onion is delicious potent onion flavor.
Yellow onion is shit.
>>
>>8326100
white onions have a more powerful taste but yellow onions are better at math
>>
>>8326540
>yellow onions are better at math

kek
>>
>>8326540
Lol
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.