[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is white meat the standard in nuggets, TV dinners, cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: white-meat-recipes.jpg (206KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
white-meat-recipes.jpg
206KB, 500x334px
Why is white meat the standard in nuggets, TV dinners, cheap renditions thereof, etc. when dark meat is both cheaper and much more delicious?
>>
In what world is beef cheaper than chicken?

Besides, meat in nugs and tv dinners is mostly mechanically separated meats instead of breaded chicken breasts.
>>
>>8324220
Where did OP mention beef??

And to answer OP's question, it's because it's more marketable to people wanting "healthy" alternatives despite the fact that they're actually just eating shit.
>>
Many people still think that less fat=more healthy

Honestly I'd rather they didn't know any better, more cheap thigh meat for me.
>>
>>8324210
I absolutely guarantee that in 90% of the products you're on about (nuggets, tendies, cheap ass kiddy shit), there is plenty of dark meat that has simply been put through the same grinder and then bleached. Sure, McDonalds and the like might claim that everything they make is "100% breast meat" or whatever but I do not believe for a second that they're not utilizing the rest of the chicken.
>>
File: tumblr_lzjrsoo61q1r50h4io1_400.png (138KB, 372x365px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzjrsoo61q1r50h4io1_400.png
138KB, 372x365px
>>8324220
>beef=dark meat
>>
White is right
>>
>>8324220
what are you talking about?
>>
>>8324232
>it's because it's more marketable to people wanting "healthy" alternatives

That's part of it. Another part of it is that some people consider the dark meat to be "icky" for some reason.
>>
>>8324252
They don't ship entire chickens to their factories, just the breast.
>>
why do people like tenders for fried chicken? the texture is weird. I would rather have some tenderized and brined breast meat or dark meat
>>
Chicken breast has a milder taste than chicken thigh. People who buy nuggets, TV dinners, fast food fried chicken, etc. don't want to taste the chicken. The chicken is just a substrate that salt and high fructose corn syrup stick to.
>>
I am sick of people saying dark meat is cheaper. Its never been cheaper for me.
Drumsticks are indeed cheap. Enjoy your bone, cartilage, fat and tendons. 99 cents for a reason, because its impossible to use for anything but eat it off the disgusting bone like a caveman. Quality chicken = boneless chicken. And nobody has figured out how to de-bone the legs.
Wings are bought up by all the faggots you see at sports bars who also brag about hot sauce. Yep, the cringe guys, all wearing "cool" baseball caps. We all know one. They drive up the price of this useless giblet, good for them.
That leaves us with thighs, which are delicious, and especially useful when de-boned. But they cost $2.99 a pound or more.
Boneless, skinless chicken breast, is $1.99 a pound, sometimes even less on sale.
Will you people fucking stop saying dark meat is cheaper. Its not.
>>
>>8324655
>And nobody has figured out how to de-bone the legs.
Jesus what a pleb. I imagine you've never actually cooked in your life before or tried to learn a new technique but that statement is embarrassing.

Literally a five second search in youtube or google will give you ways to deal with this "problem".
>>
>>8324210

>he thinks they use white meat in chicken nuggets

They use all the shit that can't be sold otherwise, bleach it, add filler like soy protein or some other shit and then sell it as "white meat chicken". The amount of white meat in them is laughable.
>>
>>8324210
So they can say 'made with white meat chicken' to imply quality. On the flip side, it's also probably because white meat is more the color of the fillers they use in all of those products.
>>
>>8324210
Dark meat tastes like shit when fried
>>
>>8324655
>And nobody has figured out how to de-bone the legs.

It's easy to bone-out a chicken leg. There are plenty of how-tos online. Though why would you want to? The bone is flavor.

As for thighs vs. breasts that may well be a regional thing. At all the supermarkets I shop at boneless skinless thighs are about $0.50/lb less than boneless skinless breasts. (talking normal prices, not sales).
>>
>>8324655
>Nobody has figured how to debone the legs
There is a whopping 2 bones there you moron I buy a whole chicken each month and i debone it whole
>>
>>8324665
I debone the tighs for my stir fry but still throw the wings in there
It makes the sauce taste better, I use less stock and it even thickens it
Good stuff
>>
>>8324631
Then why not just cut out the chicken entirely? You could make nuggers way cheaper out of soy or seitan or something. With all the breading and HFCS and ketchup and shit, the plebs wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.
>>
File: tfg.jpg (150KB, 620x521px) Image search: [Google]
tfg.jpg
150KB, 620x521px
>>8324210
>Why is white meat the standard in nuggets

Once upon a time, McNuggets were made with two dark pieces & two white pieces. The round one was dark meat and I forget the other..
The dark pieces were the best McNuggets.
>>
>>8324210
Dark looks dirty.

This applies to skin color.
>>
>>8324854
>fried chicken thighs taste like shit
>>
File: bulby.jpg (38KB, 353x433px) Image search: [Google]
bulby.jpg
38KB, 353x433px
>>8324220
what
>>
>>8325722
I prefer white meat fried chicken because i honestly think the dark meat is too juicy.
I will eat dark and enjoy it but i prefer white.
>>
>>8324220
For non Americans : 'dark meat' is for them chicken thights... never heard somebody else outside usa use this word for poultry
>>
I still remember how upset I was as a kid when they changed from dark meat to white meat in McDonalds chicken nuggets. I never wanted to go to McDonalds anymore since they ruined my favorite food there. It was probably for the best since I don't eat McDonalds ever now.
>>
I got dark meat chicken nuggets once. They tasted like shit. This is from a brand where I already enjoyed their regular chicken nuggets. So I imagine it just doesn't taste as good when it gets heavily processed. If it's just baked or something I prefer dark meat.
>>
>>8324334
I've seen a video on the internet posted my mcdonalds (so it must be true!!) stating they use mostly breast meat but also add in chicken skin/fat and other parts of the bird to make mcnuggers
>>
>>8324210
White meat was a marketing quality to signify "quality" for awhile. My nuggets are better than your nuggets, they're WHITE MEAT. I only buy quality food, like WHITE MEAT. It was just this weird health/quality/whatver march against delicious dark meat.
>>
>>8324232
>dark meat
explain how you aren't talking about beef there, cause good luck proving duck and venison are cheaper than beef.
>>
>>8324260
>tumblrite
to nobody's surprise.
>>
>>8325603
Being able to market "100% white meat chicken" is more valuable in terms of getting people to pay for them than making a better actual product.
>>
>>8326872
You do know the legs of chicken are considered dark meat, yes?

Embarassing.
>>
>>8324631
Chinese restaurants always use thigh meat. I've made baked chicken thighs before for people and they asked why it smelled like Chinese food.

I think most people just think of white meat as "cleaner". Same reason they don't want to eat organ meat.
>>
>>8327240
>I think most people just think of white meat as "cleaner".

I think most people just don't think.
>>
White meat, although more expensive, is the most commonly preferred.

It secretes less liquid, resulting in a cleaner plate. Related to this, any batter also remains drier and crispier when fried.
>>
>>8324665
>>8324859
>>8324861
I'm not doing it myself at home you stupid assholes, the whole point of boneless chicken it buying it that way for convenience. I only buy boneless meat at the market, and I have never once seen boneless leg meat. Yes, I understand it is technically possible, but absolutely nobody does this. Or else it would be sold that way. Only thighs and breasts are available boneless.
>>
When the meat is bleneded into a meat paste white meat will have a significantly better texture after cooking than dark meat woul. After cooking blended dark meat it would still just be mush because of the fat content.
>>
>>8324220
This needs to added to that pic of idiotic posts made by /ck/ users.
>>
>>8327631
>boneless leg meat
>only seen thighs and breasts boneless at market

What body part do you think thighs belong to? Arm? Wing? Ribs?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.