[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is fruit juice actually as unhealthy as soda? I've seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4918.jpg (27KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4918.jpg
27KB, 500x393px
Is fruit juice actually as unhealthy as soda?
I've seen tons of articles on the subject and some of them claim that juice might actually be even more unhealthy than coke, simply because it doesn't contain fiber, found in whole fruit.
I really like apple juice, which I usually drink unfiltered - a carton every day on average.
Is fruit juice literally poison, or is someone spreading misinformation? I figured natural fruit sugars cannot be as bad as added white sugar. Was I wrong?
>>
>>8323538
fruit juice has added sugar
>>
>>8323538
There are 16 oranges in half a litter of orange juice you are eating 16 oranges worth of calories do the math
>>
>>8323538
CALORIE WISE YES. THERES VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE. IF YOU ARE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT THEN YOU SHOULD AVOID BOTH BEVERAGES. HOWEVER, SODA IS DEVOID OF ANY MICRO-NUTRIENTS WHILE ORANGE JUICE IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT SO IT DOES HAVE NUTRITIONAL MERIT.
>>
>>8323538
As much sugar as coke. But not as unhealthy, the fact that there are other things than sugar and water really does significantly decrease the strain on digestion.
>>
If you get orange juice with pulp and no added sugar, it's relatively high in calories but far higher in nutrients.
>>
>>8323538
glucose is glucose. fructose is fructose. doesnt matter where its from.

yes, with fiber from whole fruits, its absorbed slower. but this is pop vs fruit juice

both drinks are fine and not unhealthy. the problem is the rest of your diet. who tends to drink pop? fast food eaters and people who eat high fat foods in general and junk food snackers. who tends to drink fruit juice? more health conscious people.

sugar is not bad for you- every cell in your body requires it for energy. whats bad is the fat people tend to eat alongside the sugar but the sugar gets the blame.

"calories in, calories out" is a bad meme and doctors know this, thats why they wont give specific weight loss advice. truth is theres a lot more to weight loss than calories. (see anorexics who get really skinny starving but then blowout on normal recovery diets). its all about fat metabolism vs fat stored. sugar will not turn to fat unless youre eating a lot of garbage with it and boosts your fat metabolism. sugar is fine, fat is not
>>
>>8323544
DUDE, TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.

Your post is solid though.
>>
>>8323622
kill yourself for even replying to that capslock faggot. report and move on
>>
>>8323632
HELLO MY MAIN MAN. YOU SEEM DISTRAUGHT. MAY I SUGGEST A NICE TALL AND COOL GLASS OF OJ.
>>
>>8323616

>thats why they wont give specific weight loss advice

Part of the reason they don't give specific weight loss advice is because every individual person has different dietary needs and that's the kind of job that belongs to a dietitian
>>
Vitamin and , perhaps negligible, fiber aside, I've read in places that fructose is the riskiest form of sugar for diabetes. That's probably just bro science though.

The odd glass won't kill you, but downing a glass with breakfast every day after you've just woken up puts the most shock on your endocrine system, just as drinking a glass of coke will. Its a similar amount of sugar even in non added sugar varieties. Drinking a litre a day, which is about 80g of simple sugar, will impact your health negatively, as your body's insulin response will slow down over time. This means that the insulin your body produces to clean up blood sugar will be less effective, and you will have constant high blood sugar. Aka beetus.

You'll often see athletes drinking a coke or orange juice after a big game or race or whatever, because the sugar in their muscles is totally depleted. Drinking a simple sugar after a huge effort will make the insulin go into overdrive and push all the sugar into repleneshing usable energy in the muscles and out of the blood.

If you have only a moderately active lifestyle, consuming simple sugar is fine for a while but it ends up just pooling around in the blood as your insulin gets, I dunno lazy I guess.

Layman's terms but this is kind of the reason that the fruit juice debate started.
>>
Stay away from juices with added sugar, buy 100% fruit juice or squeeze it yourself
>>
>>8323538
I drink fruit juice maybe once for breakfast. But then I see people that drink soda like as if it were water. The poison is in the dose my friend.
>>
>>8323669
>buy 100% fruit juice
Just means they added sugar from an orange byproduct
>>
>>8323538
Whole fruits
>Water, sugar, fiber, vitamins

Juice
>Water, sugar, vitamins

Juice is essentially an inferior version to whole fruit. It's a better option than soda but why not just have the whole fruit, it fills you up too.
>>
>>8323616
>sugar is not bad for you
Kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
>>
File: 187438fdfhjactuallydrinkvodka.jpg (354KB, 809x1300px) Image search: [Google]
187438fdfhjactuallydrinkvodka.jpg
354KB, 809x1300px
>>8323538
Just drink fucking water, you'll be fine.
>>
>>8323556
>>8323616
>>8323666
I appreciate the responses, quite insightful.
I still can't decide if cutting on juice or stopping drinking it altogether is worth it, though. I put very little processed foods in my body and basically the only unhealthy stuff I consume regularly is beer (a couple bottles each weekend).
So I'm wondering if drinking a liter of unfiltered apple juice with no sugar added a day could really be bad for me? I only drink the stuff in late evening.
>>
>>8323826

If you do regular exercise you should have no problem really...although your teeth might go bad quicker. If you dont do much exercise its probably a good idea to cut down your sugar intake a fair amount. Cutting it out entirely doesn't have to happen maybe just have half a carton
>>
>>8323826
If it's unfiltered and with no added sugar it's basically the same as eating the apples it took to make the juice, since that's pretty much what you get after you chew your food
>>
>>8323826
homemake some apple juice without added sugar?
>>
>>8323839
>>8323840
>>8323844
Appreciate the suggestions.
>>
>>8323616
>t. Hamplanet
Your caloric intake directly effects the amount of fat that is stored in your body. No if ands or buts. Having excess fat means you consume excess calories. End of story.
>>
your body doesn't care if your sugar comes from soda or juice
>>
>>8323840
>If it's unfiltered and with no added sugar it's basically the same as eating the apples
Except not really because most of the fruit is left behind in the juice making process
>>
>>8323645
I like you
>>
>>8325416

False. Phytonutrients in fruits reduce insulin spikes due to sugar intake. Also the sugar in fruits is embedded in fiber, reducing the glycemic load and further reducing the resulting rise in insulin.
>>
>>8323538
Fruit juice is marginally better, but still shit. It's almost pure sugar and what vitamins you get aren't worth the sugar. You're much better off eating the fruit itself, which contains more micronutrients and fiber as well, which will help mitigate the insulin spike you'd see from eating so much sugar.
>>
>>8323840
No.
>>
>>8323616
>"calories in, calories out" is a bad meme and doctors know this, thats why they wont give specific weight loss advice. truth is theres a lot more to weight loss than calories. (see anorexics who get really skinny starving but then blowout on normal recovery diets). its all about fat metabolism vs fat stored. sugar will not turn to fat unless youre eating a lot of garbage with it and boosts your fat metabolism. sugar is fine, fat is not

I haven't read something so ignorant in a long time.
>>
YOU DO NOT. GAIN CALORIES. FROM LIQUIDS. HOLY SHIT.

You literally urinate it all out, drink whatever you want.
>>
>>8325976

So if I blend all my meals then I will starve to death?
>>
>>8325976
LULLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>8325976
I know you're joking, but there are people who actually think this (it seems at least). It's hilarious when I see fat chicks complain about "not being able" to lose weight, yet get a huge cup of coffee from Starbucks that has all of the syrupy stuff and cream in it, and do this almost daily.
>>
It depends on the kind of fruit juice. The carton kind is processed stuff. When you realize that the shelf life of natural orange juice is a mere 1 day, you'll ask yourself how can they sell that stuff that lasts for 1 year. The thing is, that could be paper water with additives that taste like orange, and you'd be none the wiser.

Either way, the bad thing about drinking juice instead of just eating the fruit, is that a fruit would get your belly full pretty fast (less calories), while you'd need a lot of fruit to make 1 glass of juice. IIRC, you need 8 oranges to make a glass of juice, while I doubt anyone could eat 4 of them without being full.
>>
>>8325976
The thing is though that 99% of Americans believe this
>>
>>8323645
I APPRECIATE YOUR PRESENCE MR BIGPOSTER
>>
>>8323538
have you tried comparing the nutritional info on the back of the fucking packages?
How do people as helpless as you even breathe?
>>
Humming birds drink sugar water and they're fast as fuck and get mad pussy.

/thread.
>>
>>8326300
FOR YOU,MY FRIEND
>>
>>8325976

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
>>
>>8326367
BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO STEER YOU FAGGOT
>>
>>8326418
WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY ABOUT ME, YOU LITTLE BITCH?
>>
>>8325976
Nice misinformation, le ebin trole xD!
>>
>>8323826
make sure to keep avoiding all those processed foods, i assume you aren't eating anything cooked, right?
wouldn't want any food going through some type of nasty process
>>
Only the ones that contain 2-25% juice just get 100% juice there isent added sugars also if your worried about it make your own apple juice also wtf why are you drinking so much apple juice your just adding fat around your liver
>>
>>8323538

Lmao you probably avoid the pulp
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.