[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This was recommended here as a drink to try out for an alcohol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 301
Thread images: 48

File: 14685768327694.jpg (189KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
14685768327694.jpg
189KB, 960x1280px
This was recommended here as a drink to try out for an alcohol virgin like me, so I bought a bottle. My first reaction, what the fuck, how are you supposed to drink this?
>>
>>8318378
>how are you supposed to drink this?
As an alcohol virgin? With coke.
>>
>>8318378
A lot of people like this, but this should no way in any form or fashion be your first drink......especially straight or neat

Mix it with coke so you can get a feel for the taste and if you even like bourbon

I'd recommend about 50ml of wild turkey with 150ml of coke on a bunch of ice
>>
>>8318378
Wild Turkey is for the seasoned alcoholic who gave up on life.
>>
>>8318383
>Wild Turkey is for the seasoned alcoholic who gave up on life.

No faggot, they are for seasoned alcoholics that are close to giving up on life but haven't quiet yet.....once you truly have given up you switch to Very Old Barton or James Foxxe
>>
>>8318382
>>8318381
Is there other drinks to mix it with, other than coke?
>>
>>8318413
Pepsi.
>>
>>8318413
>Is there other drinks to mix it with, other than coke?

If you just started drinking, you will want to stick to dark sodas.....coke, pepsi, dr pepper, maybe root beer

If a novice drinker though, you may want to switch to something like captain and coke to just get a feel for tolerating alcohol spirits
>>
>>8318413

Any kind of soda.

Sour mix (i.e. make a "whiskey sour")
>>
File: 1448958163095.jpg (50KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1448958163095.jpg
50KB, 540x540px
[Life is going pretty well] (Patron) (Laphroaig)
.(Dewer's)
.(Jack Daniels)
.(Bacardi 151)(Skyy)
[Well, things could always be worse] (Evan Williams)
.(Smirinof) (Franzia)
.(Kraken)
.(Carlos Rossi)
.(Various malt liquor) (Jeremiah weed)
[I give up, I can't do this anymore] (Jose Cuervo)
.(McCormicks vodka)
.(Mad Dogg 20/20)(Bud Ice)
.(Popov)
.(Thunderbird)
[I hope to god I die in my sleep]
.(McCormicks 'whiskey')
.(Everclear)
.(Kentucky Deluxe)
[Recent google search: helium tank, gas masks](Ten High) (Old Crow)
.(Seagrams Gin)
.(Ballantines)
>>
>>8318455
Second for whiskey sour. Be sure to use an egg white though, it will take away some of the alcohol bite
>>
>>8318378
Just drink rum and coke instead
>>
>>8318378
Like others said, mix it initially. Eventually you'll get used to alcohol, and be able to pick up on more subtle flavors, and you might eventually prefer drinking it neat.
>>
ITT people don't know how to drink whiskey

Pour in whiskey glass.
Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.
Nose it real good.
Give it a few sips.
Add a tea spoon of water.
Nose it again to detect changes of aroma.
Sip again to detect changes in taste.
Finish it off.
>>
File: 1467167399499.gif (2MB, 209x229px) Image search: [Google]
1467167399499.gif
2MB, 209x229px
>>8318378
Maybe go to a bar. Try a few drinks there to find something you like instead of buying a bottle blindly off of what you heard from a couple of assholes on the internet?
>>
>>8318664
Implying I'm gonna do that all night when all I want to do is chug down a bottle to forget about life for a while
>>
>>8318664
>Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.

fuck off you psuedointellectual/"science is fucking cool" faggot.

Ethanol isn't going to fucking oxidize by itself in a glass
>>
>>8318816

Enjoy wafting in that turpentine pleb.
Learn to drink.
>>
>>8318664
Better yet get a glass or cup or mug or jug, toss an ice cube or two or a bunch for your jug, then pour your booze in and fucking drink it you autistic fucking faggot.
>>
you return that and get the 101 version.

then you stop wasting money and just buy the cheapest strongest bottom shelf vodka like the rest of us
>>
>>8318664
Pretentious fag detected.
>>
An entire life of disappointment and regret will make it easier to swallow. You'll even start to enjoy it.
>>
>>8318378
First of all bourbon is a bad rec for someone who's never had hard liquor before, shit's one of the more in-your-face members of the whiskey family. Irish whiskey and other mild, more heavily distilled shit is how you introduce someone to grain spirits.

Second, try it with a splash of seltzer or chilled water. To drink it straight, just take a small sip and hold it in your mouth for a moment before you swallow and enjoy the flavor and aroma.

Third, if you're just looking to get so shitslammed that you find Adam Sandler funny again, buy a bottle of Diesel and disguise it with plenty of lime gatorade.
>>
>>8319149
>poor fag detected
>>
>>8318378
seasoned alcohol veteran here:

if you're new to booze, especially bourbon, that's a pretty shit place to start. Maker's Mark, Gentleman Jack, or anything that's been aged should be better than Wild Turkey.

What's your palette like? If you like sweet stuff, Coke is a good mixer. Otherwise, choose a carbonated beverage that you like and add a shot of whiskey to it. If you don't like carbonated stuff, bourbon can work nicely in tea (hot or cold), lemonade, or even in apple juice.

If bourbon just doesn't work for you, try the same mixers with vodka. If that still isn't good, kys.
>>
File: w-liq_sou1.jpg (97KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
w-liq_sou1.jpg
97KB, 540x720px
the answer
>>
File: [screams externally].gif (929KB, 264x320px) Image search: [Google]
[screams externally].gif
929KB, 264x320px
>>8318556
>tfw I have Franzia tabs littering my room like POGS.
>>
>>8318413
Squirt or faygo 50/50
>>
>>8318378
Put a tablespoon of it on top of vanilla ice cream. You can thank me later.
>>
>>8318378
Crown Royal Black, straight.
>>
>>8318556
What does it mean when i cant taste the alcohol in md 20/20 anymore
>>
>>8318378
Start with beer if you're completely new to drinking. Build up to gin or vodka. Leave whiskey (and indeed whisky) for later.
>>
try calvados
>>
>>8318556
>[Life is going pretty well]
>(Dewers')

I guess your life -is- going pretty "well" if that's the crap you drink
>>
I don't understand the resoning behind mixing stuff with coke to make you like the taste somehow. mixing cough syrup with coke never made anyone like the taste of cough syrup. if you don't like the taste of something just drink something else.
>>
There's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey, the 81º is quite acceptable, myself I prefer the 101º.

And bourbon is a fine place to start your alcohol adventures.

Don't mix with any sodas...that's the wimp way out. Learn how to drink with a little bit of class.

Start with an Old Fashion, the American classic. Use the best fruit you can afford (meaning try to find Luxardo cherries). Get the castor sugar. Do it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

Then off to a Bourbon Smash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFzjUHxnVg

Then move on up to a Mint Julep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

Bourbon is great stuff. Once you're half way through this bottle go out and pick up another brand, start comparing.

And stay the hell away from Jack Daniels. Foul shit.
>>
File: Luxardo Cherries.jpg (301KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Luxardo Cherries.jpg
301KB, 1000x1000px
Pic related
>>
>>8318556
>laphroaig and JD in the same category
You don't ever compare God's own nectar to Jack Daniel's charcoal filtered pig swill.
>>
By learning to appreciate the taste of a new drink.
You sure as hell didnt drink coffee for the first time and think BOY OH WOW THATS DELICIOUS because you're used to everything being drowned in 700g of sugar.

Cut it with an ice cube, sip on it, learn to appreciate the taste.
>>
>>8318816
He means to aerate it, not oxidize.

His terminology is wrong, but his method is sound.
>>
File: kekkorama.jpg (125KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
kekkorama.jpg
125KB, 960x639px
>>8318664
>Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.
>>
>>8319734
This man is worth listening to.

I'd drink with you.
>>
For a total alcohol virgin I'd recommend not going straight for the patrician tier tastes and instead easing in with something that allows you to get used to the aftertaste of alcohol first.

Stuff like Bailey's for example. Something I found that does wonders for people who can't stand alcohol is a shot of Kahlua, a shot of Creme De Menthe together with an icecube to chill. Tastes like a liquid chocolate mint biscuit with a hint of alcohol.
>>
>>8318378

You were memed on, Bourbon is a terrible choice for a alcohol virgin.

>>8318383
this

I'd recommend something like a Fireball
>>
File: wild turkey.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
wild turkey.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>8318378
Wild Turkey (101) is my go-to bourbon.

It's a bit dry, spicy, and has some sort of meme magick that intoxicates me more than even 120 proof bourbon does.

Start with Jim Beam and then work your way to Wild Turkey.

80 proof liquor is pretty standard and anything higher requisites some ability in the drunkard arts.

That said, don't buy the lower proof Wild Turkey bottlings, they're trash.

What I would suggest, in lieu of mixing with sugary shit, just water it down till you can palate it.

It's easier to reduce the amount of water in a drink than to reduce the amount of soda and then switch to either iced or neat liquor. At the very least you get a slightly purer taste of the liquor through water than you do with Coke.

That being said, Wild Turkey has a reputation for being a redneck drink because it's fan-fucking-tastic.

It's delicious, well priced, and packs a whallop. If you can stand Wild Turkey 101, you can damn near palate any bourbon.
>>
File: awobble.jpg (18KB, 396x222px) Image search: [Google]
awobble.jpg
18KB, 396x222px
>>8319833
N.B.

I'm drinking Wild Turkey 101 right now, on the rocks, and I'm having a slamming evening.
>>
>>8319821
All you'll achieve with that is getting alcohol into your system without being able to taste it. You won't wean yourself from tasteless booze to hard liquor without drinking liquor you can actually appreciate the inherent flavor of.

Decent bourbon as a taste of its own. If you're gonna try and drink neat bourbon, jump in the deep end. Learn to enjoy it on its own terms. You don't learn to play a difficult video game by turning on cheat codes. You play until you get better.
>>
File: AmericanHoney.jpg (47KB, 750x2400px) Image search: [Google]
AmericanHoney.jpg
47KB, 750x2400px
why are people saying bourbon is a bad drink for a beginner? it's kind of sweet and the oak barrel makes it less harsh. this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy.
>>
>>8319851
>this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy
Because it is liquid candy. It's not whiskey, it's a liqueur. It's sugar syrup with a squirt of honey and a lick of reject-barrel bourbon.
>>
>>8319857
even regular bourbon is sweet compared to tequila or something.
>>
>>8319851
I drink beer and stick to beer because when I drink spirits after a good session it's an immediate end of night for me.

American Honey however... I could drink a bottle
>>
The 101 Rye used to be my go-to. They took it off the market when rye blew up and I've only started seeing it again recently. It's a 1L bottle now, strangely enough, and I think I read somewhere that they changed the recipe. The stuff I remember was hot, sweet, and peppery.
>>
>>8319851
>this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy.

That shit with honey in it is basically liquid shit. Kinda like drinking Bud Light. But not taste as good.

And did I see someone say Fireball? The latest date rape drug? Shit man, grow up, grow a pair.
>>
>>8319861
Sure, but not because they add a bunch of syrupy garbage to it.
>>
>>8318429
Top kek
>>
File: Wild Turkey.png (154KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Turkey.png
154KB, 576x384px
Pic related
>>
>>8319203
I was going to say this, drank a bottle the other night.

It tastes like you would expect bird poop to taste like, not just any bird poop though that would be gross, the kind that looks like smashed fruit.
>>
>>8319734
Nothing says you're a man quite like being able to drink ashtray water straight
>>
>>8319915

I used to work at a bar right next to a biker outlet shop. Bikers are fucking good tippers. Biker women are hideous though.
>>
>>8318378
Literally drinking this right now.

You're alright, cu/ck/s.
>>
>>8320054
the fuck are you talking about, son
>>
>>8319786

well Laphroaig is like a medium rare Prime Rib and Jack Daniels is like a grilled cheese and tomato soup combo

they're both good but for different reasons
>>
>>8318413

Ginger ale and ginger beer work well with bourbon.

To try it without mixer I would recommend sticking a few ice cubes in it, leave it for a bit so it melts a little and cools it, then sip slowly.
>>
>>8320193
JD is more like a McChicken, for me the best fast food sandwich.
>>
for me, it's Buffalo Trail (TM) bourbon bottled at 46%, the best whiskey.
>>
Okay I'm going to lay a beautiful truth bomb on you fuckers. And I've been a bartender for a year so I know a little.

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT WHAT YOU DRINK!

I've got one regular who loves Fireball and Coke, he just loves putting sugar in his veins and he's probably a diabetic. Yes I will never order Fireball (too sweet) but I still like the guy. He's got an upbeat personality and usually gives me 2 bucks for every drink.

Believe me I was a fedora tipping gentleman who wanted to drink Scotch and Bourbon like a man. Even though I've developed a taste for it no one has nodded in approval over my superior tastes. No one thinks I'm a good guy because of my gentlemanly tastes. You drink to unwind no one gives a fuck if you're getting buzzed off a hoppy IPA or a Red's Apple Ale.

My only advice is to try different stuff, variety is the spice of life and I think the most boring man in the room is the guy who just only drinks Miller Lite. Have a Bloody Mary, have a Mojito, have a White Russian. Mix it up crying out loud.

Oh and I can't stand people who just shit on one type of beer or cocktail because they had a bad experience. Bartenders fuck up, the all time classic drinks are signatures for a reason. If you hate Martini the bartender gave you lousy gin or mixed Vodka with Dry Vermouth (the latter don't go together).
>>
>>8318378
Drink it straight?
Just skull it?
Then again I am from straya....
Drinking is normalized...
>>
>>8318378
You shoulda made a highball of crown and coke.

Just an opinion.
There are a lot of flavors out there though, so try a bunch of shit before assuming its all garbage.
>>
It's a bottom shelf bourbon.
Try Jack Daniels first, Tennessee whiskey is lighter and sweeter.

Then try Maker's Mark if you want a decent bourbon.
>>
>>8318378
Wild Turkey 101 is my favorite in its price range.
The higher alcohol allows you to add some ice without watering it down.
>>
>>8320615
>Then try Maker's Mark if you want a decent bourbon.
MM is shit (CS version is good though), if you want a good entry level bourbon that won't break the bank then Buffalo Trace is the best bet.
>>
>>8318378
If your not willing to go with soda. Soda water is an option.
>>
>>8318556
>putting jd above evan williams.
Nigga williams was the origional and would put that where jd is supposed to be. And also add wild turkey
>>
>>8318664
>this barnacle head.
Its a drop of water if you want it. Or splash is somewhat acceptable.
A tsp though? Might as well just put in a mixer.
You only need to swirl it once.
God get off the buzzfeed articles you mook.
>>
>>8318378
I tend to shoot wild turkey, but I also get the 101.
I'd recommend you mix it though.
>>
>>8318413
RC Cola
Big K cola
Store brand cola
More wild turkey
>>
>>8320083
As a former bartender yes they are but id still perfer bikers and their ilk any day to most other patrons. They tip, they will get your back if you are being fucked with by drunks you need to throw out. If they get a little roudy by maybe a busted chair (rarely) from them almost jumpimg into sitting on it. or some puke that missed the toilet. Non bikers are way worse.
>>
File: IMG_6964.jpg (30KB, 202x439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6964.jpg
30KB, 202x439px
>>8320362
>you're not allowed to have different tastes, you MUST like what I like
>trust me, I'm a bartender

Kill yourself.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 196x257px
>>8320362
>says no one cares what you drink.
>judges if you drink whiskey or burbon
You are the reason why people dont tip.
>>
File: Bulleit_95_Rye_1176050_i0.jpg (62KB, 487x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Bulleit_95_Rye_1176050_i0.jpg
62KB, 487x1135px
This is my usual go to
>>
What do people think of the Kraken rum? I like it, goes great in rum n cokes.
>>
>>8321035
Doesn't even need coke it already tastes like dr pepper straight.

It's pretty low tier as far as rums go, but easily swigable.

>>8320922
Bulleit is good usually go for their bourbon though.
>>
>>8320922
I went off it a little when I learned that the reason it's so high in rye is because it's made in a mass distillation facility in Indiana as a blending ingredient, and Bulleit just decided to bottle it straight as a rye whiskey.
>>
>>8318556

Old Crow isn't bad
>>
>>8321060
Oh, shit I didn't know that, this changes things. Well might as well finish what I have and go back to their bourbon.
>>
>>8321035
Good mixer. Okay straight.

I like to mix with Vanilla coke and some lemo nuice. It also mixes very well with Mikes Hard Lemonade

Recently bought me a bottle of El Dorado 12 year. I love the sweet after taste it has and when I mix it its alot smoother than expected even with small amounts of mixer
>>
>>8321035
The heroin addict's choice
>>
>>8321035
Tastes like black tar, you're better off with Sailor Jerry
>>
>>8318664
This activated my almonds and oxidized my ethanol
>>
>>8321109
Yeah, that's how I felt. Their bourbon is good shit, though, and it's already high in rye compared to other bourbons anyway.

If you're after a decent rye whiskey, source yourself a bottle of Rittenhouse.
>>
>>8318413
Don't mix it with coke. You'll never be able to drink coke again, assuming you like coke. You'll always taste the repulsive whiskey taste.

I still can't drink oj without tasting vodka
>>
>>8318389

>when you give up on like you start giving a shit about obscure liquor

pls go
>>
File: 1468123060953.gif (2MB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
1468123060953.gif
2MB, 450x254px
>>8319326
>bourbon milkshake
It's been too long, wish I wasn't broke and dry
>>
>>8321229
That only happens if you get yourself absolutely plastered on the shit.

I'm the same way with hard cider. Can't stand the smell of it without feeling sick as all hell.
>>
>>8318664
Get a load of this aficionado
>>
>>8318378
Glenlivet scotch. Any year really is enjoyed them all. Also if you go to a bar, try Moscow mules. I can't get enough of those
>>
File: smilemoose.jpg (103KB, 883x670px) Image search: [Google]
smilemoose.jpg
103KB, 883x670px
>>8318664
>friend pulls out 40 year old whiskey
>pours us both a glass
>does this infront of me
>sees me shot it in the corner of his eye
>looks offended
>mon visage upon the eye contact that followed
Fuck people like you
>>
Mint julep is the easiest OP

make simple syrup in the microwave or stovetop.

just add as much cold water and simplesyrup to the mint and ice and bourbon until it basically tastes like drinking a coke
>>
>>8320922
how is their strait kentucky bourbon?
>>
>>8318378
Who's the fucking vagina that actually told you to get the 81 proof? It's trash.

Source: I drink 101 every day, it's fucking delicious. If you're an alcohol virgin I would suggest you stay that way; the road to alcoholism is long and shitty my friend.
>>
File: momsgonnafreak.jpg (99KB, 580x1031px) Image search: [Google]
momsgonnafreak.jpg
99KB, 580x1031px
>>8321575
>>
>>8321642
Not that anon, but the bourbon is better than the rye.

The Rye itself has a very strong peppery taste, and not much else. Their Bourbon, by comparison, has a pretty high percentage of rye in the mash bill (about 30%) compared to other bourbons, so you get the typical bourbon sweetness and barrel wood taste with a healthy dose of the peppery rye flavour as well.

Basically, in my opinion, the bourbon is better. Also, because >>8321060.
>>
>>8320898
Hey never said you had to like what he likes. He pretty much said the opposite.
>>8320914
Hey never judgedid people who drink "classy spirits" he's judging the people who shit on people for not drinking them.

Did you two even read his post?
>>
>>8321643
i drink 101 daily too. been blacking out every night for about a year now.

its ok, i chase with coke. i used to drink beer but then i got to a point where i would be full before i was drunk enough.

the reason people do 101 is because its cheap, its potent, and its not the worst bourbon. if i had my pick for a casual bourbon, it would either be makers mark or buffalo trace. those are affordable and delicious.

if you want, make bourbon tea. boil some sugar and water, then steep a few tea bags in a mason jar with the sugar water for about 10 minutes. then add some lemon, orange, and lime slices for about 3 hours in the fridge. take out peels before rind ruins tea. should hold in fridge nicely for about a week. you may want to strain pulp if you dont like that stuff. source: edward lee
>>
>>8318383
lol Wild Turkey 101 was the first spirit I had ever drunk neat. Since then I order a glass out of nostalgia.

>>8318378
If you're an alcohol virgin, 1oz of that and coke or ginger ale would be a decent start. There are many great cocktails that use whiskey as a base that I fine accessible to new drinkers wanting to mask the spirit.

If you want a rich sweet flavor, go for a Whiskey Sour with the following spec:
1 Egg White
1 Dash Angostura Bitters (optional)
3/4oz Lemon Juice (fresh is best!)
3/4oz Simple Syrup

Dry shake to emulsify the egg, then add ice for a second shake. If you have a fine mesh strainer on hand, double strain else you are going to get way too much foam from the egg. Serve it neat (no ice).

For a lighter and refreshing cocktail, try out a Kentucky maid. This requires a muddler, so eyyyyy.
2 1/4in. thick cucumber slices
4-5 mint leaves
1oz Lime Juice
3/4oz Simple Syrup
2oz Whiskey

Add the cucumber and mint into a tin then muddle. Add wet ingredients then shake with ice. If you have a fine mesh strainer do a double strain to avoid pulp from the dry ingredients. Strain over ice.

I would also suggest trying it neat or on the rocks at some point once you get over the initial gag reflex of drinking just straight booze.
>>
>>8319734

>>8321742 Here, this anon has some fantastic suggestions. Figured it would be redundant to put in those since these were laid out pretty well.
>>
>>8318556
How is Popov above Seagram's? Popov is the fucking worst thing in the world and I can drink Seagram's like fucking water. Their whiskey isn't that bad either.
>>
>>8321575
Well if it's 40 year old whiskey you should at least taste it, then take a shot. 40 year old whiskey is going to taste much different than say 5 year whiskey. I'm not saying sip it like wine but at least give it a sip and try to "appreciate" the qualitys. Unless it was shit
>>
>>8321575

I just sold off a bottle of 40 year old whiskey...not 40 years aged but 40 years in the bottle unopened.

Guy paid a premium. It was his year of graduation.

Still crap booze though.

But hell...he gave you a taste of 40 year aged goods? And you chugged it? Heathen.

Got a bottle of high end Pappy's in the basement, take a taste of it every now and again. Wicked good stuff, but it is somewhat overrated.
>>
Does Wild Turkey give anyone else really bad indigestion and heartburn?

I drink some alcohols with higher alcohol content and they never give me the heartburn I get with Wild Turkey.

What is it about Wild Turkey that does it?
>>
>>8321060
Yeah, a lot of brands source their rye from the same place, and taste pretty much the same as a result.
>>
>>8322581
It's disappointing, to say the least. I'd love to try some other ryes, but the only other one I've ever had the chance to get my hands on is Rittenhouse. It was decent, but variety is the spice of life, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of that available to me.
>>
>>8322648
Yeah, the LDI stuff is casting a long shadow. If you can find Smooth Ambler rye bottlings, they are probably LDI juice but aged longer than the run of the mill stuff.

You might see if you can get Old Grand Dad BIB. It's technically a bourbon but has a large rye component.
>>
>>8322524
They put pussy detector chemicals in the barrels
>>
.5 glass of vodka
.5 glass of water
Mio of your flavor (I like black cherry)
Stir

Voila. Cheapest most delicious and lowest calorie mix drink you'll ever buy.
>>
>>8322696
I think the problem is that rye has made a comeback in recent years, and only the precious few distilleries who were still making it offer anything unique. All the new shit is coming right out of LDI's doors, and it's all the same old shit.
>>
>>8322524

never again. my worst heartburn was with Wild Turkey 101.
>>
>>8321687
>says he doesnt jusdge.
>calls people fedora "le classy gentlemen."
Do you even into reading comprehension?
>>
>>8318378
Try Tuaca!
>>
>>8322816
Now you're just trying to save face, walk it off milk drinker.
>>
>>8319521
Idiot.
>>
>>8318389
You misspelled 5 o'clock vodka and Grand Macnish
>>
>>8321092
seconded. I give it preference in its price category and probably 1-2 above it. It's cheap, but its not bad
>>
any of you fags tried any Japanese Whisky? I hear is some good shit..

My tastes are all over the place depending on mood, temp, and setting..for a I'm fucking around in the yard playing with power tools, it's a JD and water with splash of sour mix guy..for a stogey & sit by a fire kind of night, I love some Ardbeg or Glenlivet..for drinking in a bar, I like some moscow mules....hangovers . give me a nice and spicy bloody mary
>>
>>8318378
Straight from the bottle like a man.
>>
>>8318378

Fucking idiots who recommended that

The trick to things like Wild Turkey and other bourbons is that they go down hell of a lot smoother than irish/scottish/other whisky/whiskey, so if you struggle drinking those then they're ideal go to drinks

Easiest way to get into drinking alcohol in this day and age is to either try bits of it growing up like I did, from the age of 18 months when I nicked a quarter of my drunken uncles pint before they could get it back, to just having, say, a glass of port at christmas, a drop of baileys, try some wine, some cider, some of my dads beer

Or, since we're hopefully past that age range for those reading, find a fruit you like and then find liqueurs based around those. Got my brother interested in alcohol by buying him some Chambord for his birthday and a bottle of Creme de Cassis for christmas. It helps you get used to the sensations that come from drinking alcohol, and then you can branch out from there if you feel like it. Or not
>>
Only one person recommended Crown Royal.

Shame.
>>
>>8318556

>Skyy vodka is your highest-tier
>Jack above Evan Williams
>Bumwine above anything
>Old Crow and Seagram's gin that low, below bumwine, below popov, below McCormick's, below Franzia

Seagram's gin is goddamned smooth as hell for a cheap gin, with an inoffensive if simple flavor. Old Crow is cheap bourbon, it's whatever.
Your priorities are completely out of whack.
>>
File: gfdob.15yo.jpg (163KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
gfdob.15yo.jpg
163KB, 540x720px
aye i bought this yesterday, tryna move up on scotch as a whiskey noob. not the biggest bourbon fan, but i enjoy it too. It was either this or the glenlivet founder's reserve, which I've already tried and i was expecting to be cheaper, but was actually more expensive than what i got. seemed weird to me but idk. i couldn't afford anything higher than a 15
how's babby doing /ck/?
>>
>>8319833
101 is the only Wild Turkey, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: ElijahCraig12yo.jpg (48KB, 301x600px) Image search: [Google]
ElijahCraig12yo.jpg
48KB, 301x600px
>>8318378
This is the best Bourbon I've had, really buttery and smooth .
>>
>>8324880
You can do a hell of a lot worse. The 15 is a good scotch in its own right.

Drink it neat with no ice though.
>>
>>8319454
>>8319786
>>8320876
>>8321867
>>8324816

well why don't you make your own fucking list you niggerfaggots so everyone can shit all over what you think

fucking dickheads
>>
>>8325179
Don't make incorrect lists if you can't handle being corrected.
>>
>>8325203

then show me how it's done you cockpolisher
>>
>>8325227
People tried by correcting you.

You and I both know you'd just be a salty little bitch and shit on any alternative list anybody might post because you're a salty little bitch.
>>
My personal drinking list

Best Tequila: Qui
Best Whisky: Glenlivet (don't remember the year, probably 12)
Best Big Brand Beer: Dos Equis
Best Small Brand Beer: Shiner Light Blonde
Best Vodka: Grey Goose
Best Rum: Sailor Jerry
Best Dark Mixer: Dr Pepper
Best Light Mixer: Sprite
Best Mixed Drink: 4 Horsemen (Jack, Johnnie, Jim, Jose)
Best Budget (Home) Drink: Sunny D & Everclear (1 Gal to ~325-500mL)

And soju somewhere in there.
>>
>>8319444

>Start with beer

then people pick up shit like bud light or coors then wonder how the hell people can stomach piss
>>
>>8318378
Why did you listen to the faggots here? Go buy a bottle of cheap vodka, and mix with coke. Whiskey is shit.
>>
>>8325402
>mixing clear liquor with dark mixers

You tried.
>>
>>8325402
u wot
>>
>>8324785
Canadian whisky is utter swill
>>
>>8325106
>Drink it neat with no ice though.
That goes without a saying for ANY scotch.
>>
File: image.jpg (993KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
993KB, 2448x3264px
The only answer.
>>
File: 1476321309303.png (10KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
1476321309303.png
10KB, 489x423px
>>8325384
>sunny D and everclear
That's fucking nightmarish
>>
Does anybody on this board do shots? All i ever see for people making recommendations to beginners is mixed drinks. I thinks its easier to just do shots and chase it with some gatorade or other sweet drink of choice
>>
>>8320621
>Add some ice without watering it down
Please read that statement again and then slap yourself.
>>
>>8325909
If the point is to eventually graduate to sipping liquor, then there's not much point in doing shots.
>>
File: gin and tonic.jpg (112KB, 1024x821px) Image search: [Google]
gin and tonic.jpg
112KB, 1024x821px
What is /ck/s favorite Gin?
>Favorite "expensive" gin
Hendricks
>Favorite cheap shit
New Amsterdam
>>
>>8318413
As a complete newfag mix it with Coke. Lemonade. Sparkling cider. Whatever you feel like trying.

Try very very tiny sips of it by itself on ice. Increase sip size as your tolerance increases. Eventually you drink it with no ice, you don't notice the burn, and it tastes like cinnamon-y vanilla-y wood juice that keeps you warm.

>>8318664
>expert tasting/review advice
>for a mid-low shelf bourbon
Your tips are valid for 101 and the other higher strength or age offerings. 81 is designed for plebs to mix or put on ice.

>swirl to oxidize the ethanol
Ethanol vaporizes, not oxidizes, and you swirl whiskey to get aromatics and the other volatile stuff that isn't ethanol to come out of solution. Stop talking out your ass.
>>
>>8318378
liquor is just horrible for someone new to alcohol, unless you mix it with other things.

My recommendation for liquor would be hazelnut Soplica, which you mix with a tiny bit of milk, its actually delicious, tastes like hazelnut cream.

besides that either go for longdrinks or cocktails, gintonic and gin-fizz, or all sours would be what id choose at the beginning.

Dont be fooled by all the alcks on this board, or the pretenders irl,hard liqour is something you get used to over time, mainly because your sense of taste weakens with age - at the very least people usually need years before they can see past the strong alcoholic hit and enjoy the flavour behind liqour
>>
>>8326729
Tanqueray No 10
>>
>>8325729
Is it better than the Ardbeg 10 YO? Asking for a friend...
>>
>>8318556
did you forget to take your medicine?
>>
>>8325834
Just make sure the juice is ice cold, preferably liquor as well. Shake well and drink quickly.
The warmer it gets, the less the acidity of the juice hits. The last few cups will taste almost like straight alcohol.
>>
>>8326757

I prefer Ardbeg 10, but Laphroaig 10 is very nice. A lot cheaper too. Ardbeg has a more complex flavour, and since it is non chill filtered it feels nicer in your mouth too. Laphroaig is a massive peat bomb, well worth investigating if you like Islay malts. Just don't bother with the Select, it is crap.
>>
>>8326729

Bombay Sapphire is my go to - usually pretty cheap and you can really taste it when mixed with tonic. If I am on a budget, then the £10 stuff from Aldi is good, Oliver Cromwell or something like that.

Gordons is shit, gives me a terrible hangover.

Got a bottle of Hendricks I received as a gift, it is really nice. Too expensive for my budget sadly so don't have it often.
>>
>>8326729

I prefer Bombay (their regular one bc poor student) or Beefeater.
>>
File: stagg jr.jpg (3MB, 4486x2243px) Image search: [Google]
stagg jr.jpg
3MB, 4486x2243px
Got paid today so I decided to finally jump into the hardcore bourbon game and picked up this bad boy and I have to say that it is easily the smoothest bourbon I've had yet.

The spiciness and oakiness makes it even better.
>>
is tin cup any good?
>>
>>8328499
I'd like to know too.

I've read up about it and it has good reactions in general, and it's won what seem like some fairly reputable awards. I generally trust ceekay booze threads though, so if anyone here answers, I'd consider that definitive.
>>
>>8318556
>Seagrams Gin
>that low

It's better than a lot. It's like high lower tier
>>
>>8328557

>drinking gin
>ever

it's like this post was from someone who is missing teeth
>>
>>8328559
Cunt
>>
File: BrooklynGin-600x600[1].jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
BrooklynGin-600x600[1].jpg
117KB, 600x600px
>>8326729
Brooklyn for a good gin, New Amsterdam for just making gin and tonics or gin and ginger
>>
>>8328494
It's smooth even though it's extremely high proof? Any other bourbons/whiskies like this?
>>
>>8324741
Yeah, my friend's dad let me try some he bought. I'm no expert or a seasoned whisky vet, but the one i tried was pretty damn good.
>>
>>8328588
I once had a 7yo cask strength Craigellachie that I thought was quite smooth, also Glenfarclas 105.
This was my first cask strength bourbon so i dont know too many others but I hear Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is really good.
>>
>>8318413
Make a Whiskey sour

>2 OZ Wild Turkey
>1oz Lemon Juice
>1/5oz - 1oz simple syrup (depending hos sweet you like your drinks)
>wgghite

Shake without ice vigerously, then with ice. Pour over ice and hit it with a lemon twist or few drops of bitters on top so the egg white foam smells good.

Absolutely delicious.
>>
File: 8819649675294.png (80KB, 246x344px) Image search: [Google]
8819649675294.png
80KB, 246x344px
If you're feeling rich and want to blow 60 bucks on a bottle get woodfood reserve double oaked. Stuff is SO smooth and amazing.

Other than that I love buffalo trace and seltzer.
>>
>>8329294
Is it worth the extra $25 over the standard expression? I do really like Woodford's stuff
>>
>>8329335
It is, you taste the difference first sip if you do them side by side. Almost no burn to it with great flavors. I'm definitely not a conasuir but it feels really heavy on the honey/vanilla.

Only way to drink that sucker is straight.
>>
File: 018.jpg (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
24KB, 512x512px
>>8318378
>got tricked into drinking turkey piss as an alcohol virgin

you should try tequila next OP, jose cuervo look it up
>>
File: stoli.jpg (85KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
stoli.jpg
85KB, 960x1280px
What's a good vodka that isn't exorbitantly expensive? I like this stuff.
>>
>>8322294
Once whiskey is bottled, the magic is over. A 12 year is a 12 year until the end of time in glass.
>>
E&J is a great drink at a cheap price. One of my go to cheap drinks that mixes with most anything.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks wild turkey 101 is meh. tastes really watery or something

jim beam has way more flavor imo
>>
>>8326757
Neither one is better. If one of the two is on sale at your store get that one. If it were between one or the other I would personally take the Laphroaig. I would say the Ardbeg has more of a stone fruit note. They both have the clinical iodine note. Laphroaig is smokier.
>>
>>8329496
What do you consider expensive? Alcohol prices vary greatly state to state. Stoli is bottom shelf cheap shit, you're not going to find anything cheaper than that unless you want something close to nail polish remover.
>>
>>8329496
good tier
>costco brand
>stoli

okay tier
>smirnoff
>>
>>8329397
>I'm definitely not a conasuir
>conasuir
Evidently
>>
File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (96KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
96KB, 960x1280px
>>8318378
I 100% would not start with bourbon

go for a cheap scotch first, it'll be way easier to drink.
>>
>>8319172
golden advice
>>
>>8329581
Upwards of 50 canuckbucks for a 750mL bottle.
>>
>>8330042
Well don't start with Glenlivet, if anything go Auchentoshan or Glendronach since there's not as heavy of an oak influence.
>>
>>8318378

>alcohol virgin

>starting with bourbon

Man, someone led you astray. Bourbon is something a lot of people have to work into. Start slow with another whiskey then work your way in.

I found the Jack Daniel's Single-Barrel Select is actually really smooth and won't make your eyes water after sipping it, so consider starting there.
>>
>>8318378
I recommend using wild turkey for flavoring steak, not drinking. If you want to get into drinking, do what I did and get yourself a $180 bottle of 12-15 year single malt jap whisky, it'll put hairs on your chest but you'll have to finish it because its so fucking expensive.
>>
>>8324446

>5 o'clock vodka and Grand Macnish

You forgot to mention the vodka has to come in a plastic jug and is typically located on the very bottom shelf of the vodka section
>>
>>8319851

>American Honey

The mix of sugar and alcohol will give you a blinding hangover
>>
>>8319866

>They took it off the market when rye blew up

When was this? I tried Redemption rye whiskey not too long ago and found a whole section of ryes at my local liquor store
>>
>>8330223
also learn to drink properly
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1te_miu5I
then you can get hammered on vodka all you like, finlandia is pretty gud
>>
>>8319870

>Fireball

>latest date rape drug

Nothing will beat good ol' GHB.

But seriously, Fireball is an awful excuse for alcohol and is designed specifically for people who can stomach regular whiskey or are trying to act "tough" by shooting it (aka try-hards)
>>
>>8318389
I'd say that cheap plastic handle vodka is for drunks that gave up.
>>
File: quinta-ruban-label.jpg (540KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
quinta-ruban-label.jpg
540KB, 1200x800px
>>8330042
Glenlivet is so oaky and disgusting, I'm a very seasoned whisky drinker and i still hate that shit.

Ported/sherries whisky is really sweet and would probably be pretty easy for a first timer to drink, or maybe something like a Glenfiddich 12 that is really smooth and light
>>
>>8318811
Implying you drink good whiskey when you want to down a bottle and forget your life

Good whiskey is for when you want to chill and enjoy it, making it an experience. Go drink some wine coolers faggot
>>
>>8329568
mah nigga
>>
File: bird-dog-maple-whiskey-25.jpg (50KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
bird-dog-maple-whiskey-25.jpg
50KB, 650x650px
Where can you buy Bird Dog whisky?
Been to a few liquor stores near me and found nothing
>>
>>8329568
JB White is a proper dark horse. It's remarkably decent for the price.

I'll take it every time over JD.
>>
>>8330180
Just get Russian Standard m8
>>
File: s14890[1].jpg (82KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
s14890[1].jpg
82KB, 532x800px
Would any scotch drinkers recommend this for $40?
>>
File: mac twenty five.jpg (811KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
mac twenty five.jpg
811KB, 2048x1152px
I made a purchase today
>>
File: islay madpussy.jpg (659KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
islay madpussy.jpg
659KB, 2048x1152px
>>8324880
Glenfiddich 12 is mediocre. anything past that and they actually start getting really nice. I like their 14 year; it ends up being a sweet marriage of bourbon and scotch traits, and pretty cheap for a 14 y/o scotch.
the 15 was a better pick than the founder's reserve. there's no minimum age statement on the founders reserve, and if you're seeing it priced higher than the Glenlivet 12, you're getting ripped off.
>>8325729
Laphroig 100 is ok. their 18 is so much better though
>>8330258
Quinta Ruban is so excellent. had that at a party and I was blown away. Tried the Lasanta expecting Macallan 12 lite and just ended up massively disappointed.
The Nectar d'Or is good, but too expensive for how it tastes.
>>
File: 1479673988841.jpg (28KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1479673988841.jpg
28KB, 500x281px
>tfw never liked any hard liquor and have no desire to start drinking it

It's just not for me. I've tried different kinds a bunch of times, all of it triggers my gag reflex and there's a 50/50 chance I'll puke within a minute of one sip. I'm actually gagging a little bit just from thinking about it, I am totally unable to stomach the hard stuff. All I can taste is the alcohol and I can't control my gag reflex. It's been a horrible experience for me every time, eventually I just stopped trying and enjoy myself with beer. Don't like darker beers like Guinness. I like drinking Yuengling, Heineken, Blue Moon, Becks, Shiner Bock, Newcastle Brown Ale, Stella, and random craft beers similar to those.

Also I can drink beers fairly quickly for a while without getting wasted, I like always having a beer in my hand if I'm at a show or a party.
>>
>>8332505
Absolutely, it is very good stuff and that is an incredible price. Pretty sure I paid more than that for my last bottle and I live half an hour from the distillery!

>>8332686
What is that Lagavulin Distillers Edition like? Considering picking up a bottle. The 16 is really good so I am hoping it is too.
>>
File: 1479799521042.gif (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1479799521042.gif
22KB, 400x300px
>>8318381
>mixing
Pussy
>>
>>8330232
4-5 years ago?

Redemption, Bulleit, Dickel, and Templeton ryes are pretty much the same, by the way.
>>
>>8328588
If whiskies are available at high proof they're generally good.

The highest proof I've had is St. George's Absinthe (140) and it hardly tastes like alcohol at all.
>>
>>8332982
it's basically the 16yr with some very subtle differences. I thought the sherry was a little more pronounced and the finish was a little longer.
Not sure if it was worth the price gap, but if you're out of the regular 16, might be worth trying the DE just to see how it compares for you.
>>
>>8332505
For $40, absolutely. If you get a chance look into their parent company Gordon and Macphail who are really good independent bottlers.
>>8332639
>he fell for the 20+ year Macallan meme
Should've gotten Balvenie 23 Portwood instead.
>>
Anyone tried this shit? Tastes like candy and almost impossible to taste if you mix it with apple cider. Kind of hard to find though.
>>
File: talis.jpg (8KB, 180x281px) Image search: [Google]
talis.jpg
8KB, 180x281px
What are you sippin on right now /ck/?
Who /peat/ here?
pic related
>>
>>8333816
Balvenie Portwood is 21 y/o. I'll probably buy that next month.
I just snatched up the macallan because it was about 400 dollars cheaper than it should have been
>>
>>8318378
keglevich melon is a godsend
>>
What's an affordable entry into single malt scotch? I've only ever drank bourbon so I don;t know where to start really. I don't want to accidentally buy something shitty
>>
>>8334344
Any single malt worth a damn is gonna be a little more costly.

Depends what you want out of it. If you want to jump right the fuck in the deep end, try Laphroaig 10yo. It's like a peaty, briny iodine bomb in your mouth and it's beautiful. Might take you a little while to get used to, though.

If you want something sweeter and slightly closer to a bourbon, try Balvenie Doublewood 12yo. Tastes like toffee, dried fruit and tobacco.

Ultimately though, the most entry level single malt is probably Glenfiddich 12yo. It's alright. Mild and inoffensive, a decent jumping off point but nothing special. The Glenfiddich 15yo Solera is better by a country mile, though.

Drink them all neat without ice, but that should go without saying.
>>
>>8334344

macallan 10 year

then try Laphroaig

if you don't like either then scotch is not for you and you are a baby

or just try ballantines and hate scotch forever
>>
COGNAC question since this seems like a good place to ask it:
Which would be a better try?
Remy Martine 1738 Accord Royale
Martell VSOP
Camus Grand Cognac VSOP

>>8318378
Yeah, that kinda sucks for a first whiskey. But after drinking WT, I didn't feel crappy drinking Irish whiskey as a result.
>>
>>8334811
Personally I feel like 'gnac is not very good value for the money. I'd buy from one of the smaller houses.
>>
>>8334811
The Remy Martin there is higher grade than a VSOP and below the XO. It's supposed to be better than competing VSOPs from other houses.
>>
>>8318378
That's really hard for a starter.
>>
>>8334772
>macallan 10 year
Isn't that discontinued and replaced with the far inferior Macallan Gold?
>>
funny thing
>few days ago i bought my first whisky Jim Beam
Im slavman pls dont ban
>I took a shot
>holy shit I am doing something wrong? why does it tastes so bad?
>proceeds to down whole bottle
send help
>>
>>8336594
Welcome to whiskey, тoвapищ. This is your life now.
>>
>>8318429
lmao
>>
>>8319851
A lot of bourbon is high proof which lends a harshness to the flavor. There are also a lot of cheap ones that are lower proof and, like yours pictured, add flavorings and sweeteners which don't have much of a notable flavor profile to begin with and attempt to mask the off flavors from cheap production with the lower proof, added flavors and sweeteners.
While none of that means you shouldn't drink it if you happen to like it for various reasons, none of those attributes are ideal for initiating oneself to booze. All that leaves is, as others have said, getting used to the alcohol burn. That is one aspect of tasting booze, but if you learn to taste through the alcohol and find flavors that aren't enjoyable, I would imagine that being a pretty good reason to be turned off of booze or just coming to the conclusion that drinking is mainly just to get wasted and reaching for whatever allows you to do that easily. It's not bad by default, but there's a lot of bad ones out there.

TLDR:
Just what >>8319850
said, but with the caveat that most liquor store bourbon sections are fields full of land mines.

Personally, I would recommend getting into rye whiskeys first if looking for cheaper stuff to start on. There is a natural spiciness as well as different fruity notes to them which works well with the alcohol burn and adds to the complexity without having to rely so heavily on more expensive processes. Don't get me wrong, though, there's certainly bad rye whiskey too.
>>
File: tumblr_lli35q4tCY1qkodk4o1_1280.jpg (88KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lli35q4tCY1qkodk4o1_1280.jpg
88KB, 1024x768px
>>8318378
Mix your Liquors!
Be a man!
If you aren't using a mixture of at least 5 different liquors you're a pussy!
>>
>>8318556
Ballantines is such tasteless piss.
>>
1/3 Sailor Jerry rum to 2/3 brown soda is my current go-to.

Usually it's vanilla coke or vanilla cherry Pepsi whenever Harris Teeter has buy two get 3 free 12pks on sale.
>>
>>8333005
I found Bulleit to be pretty unremarkable. It wasn't bad, but it just tasted very young, without much depth and no finish.

It was my first rye and was looking forward to what I heard was a spicy, interesting whisky. Turned me off as it's €25 per bottle where I am and I can get a good single malt for €30 and I can buy a decent blended whisky for €10.
>>
>>8320362
You started off as a contrarian and now you've done a 180 and become an apologist contrarian for what you perceive as 'bad' taste.

There has to be some word for this kind of posturing.

>NO ONE GIVES A SHIT WHAT YOU DRINK!
Obviously, you do. People in here are simply sharing their preferences and recommending drinks to others.
>I've got one regular who loves Fireball and Coke, he just loves putting sugar in his veins and he's probably a diabetic. Yes I will never order Fireball (too sweet) but I still like the guy. He's got an upbeat personality and usually gives me 2 bucks for every drink.
What has this treacly story got to do with alcohol? Please fuck off with your appeals to emotions.
>>
Wild turkey 101 is amazing.
>>
>>8321681
>>8322581
>>8321060
How does Bulleit Bourbon compare to other bourbons?

I had Bulleit's Rye and didn't think much of it.

I've only ever drank Marker's Mark and it was decent. I hate Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam, but I know many seasons bourbon drinkers consider these inferior.
>>
>>8321575
Typical Yank behaviour
>>
What's the price point where you stop mixing?

I won't drink Jim Beam White straight. Same with shitty blended scotch.
>>
>>8334159
Having some Johnny Walker 12 right now as it's cheap enough where I am (€20 on offer) and decent, but I was at a restaurant earlier and I had a lovely Ardbeg 10. Best peated malt I've ever had. Laphroaig is nice, but Ardbeg is much more complex and less TCP-like.

The guy pouring it accidentally gave me a large for the price of a single. It was a big bar who can afford it, so I didn't say anything. Felt good.

Also, had my first sip of Maker's Mark earlier. Wasn't bad.
>>
>>8337325
€25

I will mix blends like Black & White or Vat 69, but I wouldn't do so with Johnny Walker Black, for instance, as it's a decent blend. I can get it on offer for €20 from time to time, and it's usually €25, which is a great price. It's good enough to have without ice. I only add ice to cheap piss to take the burn off. I can't afford single malts all the time and it comes closest to the experience in a cheaper blend.

JW Red is pure piss. I'd never even mix it. Ballantines is the worst Scotch I've ever had, though.
>>
>>8337289
The bourbon is top notch by comparison to the rye. See >>8321681.

In comparison to other bourbons, it beats Maker's. Probably one of the better bourbons for its price, its only contender being Buffalo Trace. Even then, that's just my opinion.

Bulleit bourbon is worth a try if you liked Maker's Mark, but I would also recommend Buffalo Trace. It's beautifully smooth like you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>8337289
Sorry, my bad, didn't check your linking and didn't see you already linked >>8321681.
>>
File: HRD-vodka.jpg (449KB, 1153x3715px) Image search: [Google]
HRD-vodka.jpg
449KB, 1153x3715px
>>8330246
Hell Yes!
>>
>>8324741
The Yamazaki and Hibiki 12's are worth the purchase price.
>>
>>8337457
Hibiki 12s are like worth as much as a Hibiki 17 nowadays.
>>
>>8335889
Macallan didn't do the "color" transition as quickly in the United States, so it's still sold here in burgerland.
>>
>>8318664
yeah that's dumb as fuck man. If drinking my alcohol involves sniffing it and adding water i'd ratherk ill myself.
>>
File: ghetto blasters.jpg (63KB, 927x659px) Image search: [Google]
ghetto blasters.jpg
63KB, 927x659px
>>8318413
your preferred lemon-lime soda
>>
So I usually buy WT101 or things around the price range but found a handle of this for $23, how badly did I fuck up?
>>
>>8337562
Best you can get for the price. I prefer it over jack
>>
>>8337578
I prefer basically everything to jack to be fair, but judging by reviews it does seem to shit on everyone even close to its price.
>>
>>8337493
Discontinuation does that to hard liquor prices.
>>
>>8337233
>It wasn't bad, but it just tasted very young, without much depth and no finish.
That jibes with my assessment.

Spicy, peppery, is what the Wild Turkey 101 Rye used to be, as I mentioned upthread. But I haven't yet tried the new incarnation.

Dunno if you can find older LDI/MGP bottlings where you are, like Smooth Ambler. A few more years makes a big difference.
>>
>>8337562
Evan Williams is kind of an underdog in the bourbon industry, you'd think it would be trash for the price it sells for but it's reasonably good, especially the single barrel they put out every year.
>>
>>8338316
>>8337578
Well, had a few drinks of it and I'm sold. Easily comparable to bourbons I've had at twice its price
>>
>>8318556
oh come on, seagram's gin ain't that bad

and evan williams is undrinkable shit, how is that in your second highest tier??
>>
>>8325384

>shiner
>small brand

wew lad
>>
>>8338553
>Likes seagram's but shits on EW's
You might not have a sense of taste
>>
>>8334159
I love peated stuff, but so far I've only been able to afford Teacher's and other bottom shelf stuff. Any recommendations?
>>
anyone else tried Jeremiah weed? I thought it was delicious
>>
>>8338558
I can't get it across state lines
>>
>>8318378
Sip, don't chug, you animal
>>
>>8318378
The 101 is way better than the 80 proof.
>>
>>8318378
For a first timer, I recommend Sailor Jerry's and Cherry Coke. That's just a good fucking time. The tastes blend well. I like to make mine like 1/3 rum and have a fuckton of ice, that shit's delicious cold.

Drinking whiskey/whisky/bourbon/scotch neat is something you have to get used to. Really nice once you can just sip it like tap water, though.
>>
>>8329568
Hell yeah dawg
>>
>>8333990
That is my shit. We generally just do shots, great for around a campfire.
>>
>>8337545
Make sure you stock up on the 10, they are going for £150 a bottle now here in bongland. Used to be able to buy it for £25 a go, kicking myself for not stocking up before it went away.
>>
>>8333990
>>8338934
Excuse me I thought that was the regular Yukon, I stand corrected
>>
>>8338935
>£150
Jesus Christ I would never pay that money for shitty fucking Macallan.
Yeah I'm just gonna boycott their new products now, fuck them.
>>
>>8318556
>Forgetting Heavens Hill vodka in a funk my life category
>>
im drinking the liquid jew right now
>>
>>8318378
Try starting with vodka then moving on to Wild Turkey 101.

Still like them both more than beer.
>>
>>8320876
Evan Williams Bonded is better than some whiskies that sell for twice as much imo
>>
>>8338544
Evan is amazing for its price.

I used to avoid it when I was in my early 20s because I was convinced it was cheap rotgut shit, but it's great.
>>
>>8339521
It is insanity. The Gold is shit, not worth trying. Such a shame as the 10 was really nice.
>>
>tfw to intelligent to drink alcohol
>>
>>8318378
In my experience, the best way to try out drinks was to do it with friends. Try sips of what they're having, make a mental note if you liked it. Repeat until you've found a decent selection of stuff you like and then you can start looking up cocktails.

That said, trying out a fruitier cocktail isn't a bad start either. The sweetness helps counteract the initial "punch" of the alcohol flavor.
>>
>>8318378
man up and chug from the bottle until you like it
>>
>>8320922
i fucking LOVE the bottles that bulleit have

i'm also a sucker for their bourbon in an old-fashioned, or my personal favourite, a japanese whiskey highball
>>
>>8326729
beefeater 24

or tanq 10

i really don't like hendricks personally
>>
>>8342324

>to

it's 'too' you stupid lying fuckface
>>
>>8330042
I think starting with bourbon isn't the best either. I didn't really appreciate it until i had islay scotches and realized how sweet and mellow bourbon is in comparison
>>
>>8335889
My liquor store even sells those mini bottles for homeless people of macallan 10. Don't think it changed.
>>
I just bought a bottle of Michter's Bourbon today. It's more expensive than Four Roses Small batch but not much better necessarily. I wish I could find something great besides the two types of four roses
>>
File: WP_20161118_21_25_12_Rich.jpg (1024KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161118_21_25_12_Rich.jpg
1024KB, 3072x1728px
>>8345040
Elijiah Craig is the only major release bourbon I would put up against Four roses. Maybe Buffalo trace too, with eagle Rare and Stagg JR.
>>
>>8345102
>framed photos from death and co's book on your wall

what the fuck

i mean i'm super jealous of your collection & set up, but unless you're literally david kaplan that's a bit much, i say that as a bartender who worships that book
>>
>>8345122
So I actually got the original files from David Kaplan. Also have nothing else on the walls.
>>
>>8345102
I'll give those a try. What do you drink most on a regular basis?
>>
>>8345144
Honestly Cocktails. But for a simpler drink, Old Fashioneds made with Old Overholdt or Forty Creeks. Forty Creeks is good enough to be drank neat as well. Also Glenmorangie 10
>>
>>8318378
Well you see the problem is that is 81 not the 101 I'm sorry Anon you fucked
Up
>>
>>8318413
Whisky and gingerale is goat
>>
>>8329496
Sobieski
>>
>>8345102
Which Westland is that and how is it?
>>
File: considering.jpg (34KB, 288x394px) Image search: [Google]
considering.jpg
34KB, 288x394px
>seriously can't tell the difference between scotch and bourbon despite having drank a lot of both
anyone else?
>>
>>8321188
rittenhouse is great. recently started drinking Pikesville Rye, too. Heaven Hill makes some really good products
>>
>>8345316
I have 6 Westland's. They are all amazing but of the core range I would suggest the Sherry Cask.
>>
>>8345410
Did you manage to snag the Garryana? That's what I'm most curious about.
>>
>>8345344
No, they have very different flavor profiles, even when mixed.
>>
>>8345415
Yes its amazing you can really tell the difference. It has flavors I have never gotten before in whiskey.
>>
>>8345426
Guess I'll have to track it down. Exciting times.
>>
>>8345344
apples and oranges. thats crazy. There's no way you could sit down and have a glass of four roses and a glass of laphroaig next to it and tell me they are the same.
>>
>>8345474
I was exclusively a bourbon drinker for almost a decade. My first glass of scotch was Balvenie 12 doublewood, and I couldn't believe how staggeringly different it was while still being a whisky.

Nowadays I consider it the most bourbon-like scotch I've ever had, but at the time it was like thinking the entire world existed only in shades of blue and green and then suddenly being introduced to the colour red.
>>
>>8345474
They just both taste like whisky. I can't notice anything significant other than that. Probably just too pleb.
>>
>>8345706
Buy better whiskey.
>>
>>8318381
Just dissolve the coke in the drink or put it on the rim like margarita salt?
Thread posts: 301
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.